Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm traveling this weekend to hopefully pick up a 2008 1100 with only 6500 miles.

I know the belt change happens at 7500 or 2 years, which of course the latter has passed. If he hasn't performed that I think I have to no matter what, I wouldn't want to even remotely risk a belt snapping.

I'm just trying to determine what else I should be checking for? I know the usual stuff - tank warping, mismatched hardware, oil/coolant leaks (the chances of that are laughable)...

I was hoping I could get some advice on other things to look out for.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Look for the gray engine paint flaking off, not really a concern just cosmetic. If aftermarket rear LED turns have been intalled check to make sure that the blink rate is correct also that the dash indicator lights up. Take a look at both the tank fairings... there are several attachment points, but the one to look at is the lower most attachment (very easy to visualy inspect) you are looking to see if the fairing is cracked or broken at that point...very common.
Toe and shifter pegs... rubber missing and or broken due to road rash. If the later you will have to replace the whole arm as the pegs are not replaceable individualy.

When you do finaly pull the trigger on one, check the expression on your face in the mirror as you pull away!:D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Look for the gray engine paint flaking off, not really a concern just cosmetic. If aftermarket rear LED turns have been intalled check to make sure that the blink rate is correct also that the dash indicator lights up. Take a look at both the tank fairings... there are several attachment points, but the one to look at is the lower most attachment (very easy to visualy inspect) you are looking to see if the fairing is cracked or broken at that point...very common.
Toe and shifter pegs... rubber missing and or broken due to road rash. If the later you will have to replace the whole arm as the pegs are not replaceable individualy.

When you do finaly pull the trigger on one, check the expression on your face in the mirror as you pull away!:D
Great input, thanks a lot! Especially on things like pegs and tank fairings, I wouldn't have thought of those.

Any work done/aftermarket parts or bone stock?
I specifically looked for one with the "Ducati Tax" paid - it has a Termi 2-1 with a DP ECU. That's it! Very clean, clean enough to eat off the motor.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Take a look at both the tank fairings... there are several attachment points, but the one to look at is the lower most attachment (very easy to visualy inspect) you are looking to see if the fairing is cracked or broken at that point...very common.
When you get the bike home and decide to remove those fairings for whatever reason, be very carefull when reinstalling and tightening that lower mounting screw. Those lower tabs are very easy to break. Fortunately, they are very easy to fix with a piece of 90 degree (less brittle) plastic, a couple rivets, and a couple washers. If done right, it's stronger than new and pretty much un-noticeable. I would not pass up an otherwise well kept bike because those tabs are broken.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Sounds like you have bought bikes before so the normal stuff all still applies. One of the final steps for ducs is you can pull the oil filter and cut it in half and pull the mesh oil screen and check for metal shavings (a few is normal) or other odd bits in the mesh. Take a filter and oil to replace, some people might look at you funny when you do this. I'll link to the site where you can view the service manual for the 08 hypers.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would not pass up an otherwise well kept bike because those tabs are broken.[/QUOTE]

Good point, just wish I'd seen it when I bought mine... maybe negotiate a slightly better deal if this and that need to be fixed.

·
Registered
396 Posts
When you get the bike home and decide to remove those fairings for whatever reason, be very carefull when reinstalling and tightening that lower mounting screw. Those lower tabs are very easy to break. Fortunately, they are very easy to fix with a piece of 90 degree (less brittle) plastic, a couple rivets, and a couple washers. If done right, it's stronger than new and pretty much un-noticeable. I would not pass up an otherwise well kept bike because those tabs are broken.
Does yours have this fix? If so can you take a pic (sorry for thread jack)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Does yours have this fix? If so can you take a pic
Yes, I just cut and sanded a little 90 degree bracket out of some pliable 1/8 inch thick black plastic (a front license plate mount from one of our cars…….we don’t use front plates in Michigan). I riveted it in place of the broken tab using some washers on the crush side of the rivet and then drilled the mounting hole to line up on the bike. It took about 30 minutes total. You don’t see the rivets unless you are laying on the ground looking up. I thought about buying a new fairing piece but a new one will likely break just the same. It’s just a bad design given the type of plastic that’s used.

I’ll try to post a picture this weekend.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would like to see a pic also... need to do this fix myself
Hope this helps. The key is to find the right material in the right shape such that you can cut and finish a 90 degree bracket. Oh, and you can't see it but I used washers on the top side to keep the rivets from pulling through the softer black plastic piece.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
I'm traveling this weekend to hopefully pick up a 2008 1100 with only 6500 miles.

I know the belt change happens at 7500 or 2 years, which of course the latter has passed. If he hasn't performed that I think I have to no matter what, I wouldn't want to even remotely risk a belt snapping.

I'm just trying to determine what else I should be checking for? I know the usual stuff - tank warping, mismatched hardware, oil/coolant leaks (the chances of that are laughable)...

I was hoping I could get some advice on other things to look out for.

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE

This is very important! Most 2008 engines have a valve guide problem, make sure they're either fixed or ok. A very costly repair!

regards

·
Registered
396 Posts
yes, i just cut and sanded a little 90 degree bracket out of some pliable 1/8 inch thick black plastic (a front license plate mount from one of our cars…….we don’t use front plates in michigan). I riveted it in place of the broken tab using some washers on the crush side of the rivet and then drilled the mounting hole to line up on the bike. It took about 30 minutes total. You don’t see the rivets unless you are laying on the ground looking up. I thought about buying a new fairing piece but a new one will likely break just the same. It’s just a bad design given the type of plastic that’s used.

I’ll try to post a picture this weekend.
hope this helps. The key is to find the right material in the right shape such that you can cut and finish a 90 degree bracket. Oh, and you can't see it but i used washers on the top side to keep the rivets from pulling through the softer black plastic piece.
thanks!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hope this helps. The key is to find the right material in the right shape such that you can cut and finish a 90 degree bracket. Oh, and you can't see it but I used washers on the top side to keep the rivets from pulling through the softer black plastic piece.
NICE! ... my next Sunday project.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also just purchased a 2008 1100s. How do you verify the valve guide issue? The dealer that i purchased it through did not do any prior service on it and to get in touch with the prior owned will be hard.

My unit has had a lot of "Ducati Tax" done to it. Termingoni exhaust, heat wrapped pipes. I have some of the old pieces in a box, IE- O2 sensor, PCV cannister, and it loods like a computer module. It has a Ducati radial clutch pressure plate and springs, lots of carbon fiber covers. There is also a cable that is zip tied to it that comes out mid bike. It looks like a tuning port.?? It has multiple pins in it. The bike has 5500 miles on it. VERY CLEAN and well kept.

Funny thing is that I am getting a little rough idle all of the sudden. Could be my poor riding skills on it. I am coming from a Softail. I beleive that I am short shifting a bit and lugging it too much. May need a set of plugs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts