Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay guys, please excuse my ignorance. I'm assuming these were last produced in 08 and they are Monsters? I love the look of this bike but I'm unsure of the higher cost. I see new 08 Tri-color S4RS at around 15K and the S2R1000 new at about 12.5, used for 8-10K. Any pros. out there that can fill me in on this specialty bike, I would appreciate it. I plan to make Ducati my next purchase and I want to do my homework. So any help you can give me is much appreciated. Please advise me of:

Difference between the two (broad strokes if you like).
If and why you do or don't like them.
If they are a keeper and a overall better bike or investment than a 09 1100S.
What you should pay for new vs used (are these prices about right)?
Would a new 08 S2R1 or S4RS bike from the dealer come with a 2 yr warranty?
Any thing you wish to add or I should know?

Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Well for starters....the S4R is superbike powered...that year is the 999 motor (130HP). It's an animal in that light bike, which is fine as long as you haveprior experience with high HP and TQ. S model also has full Ohlins suspension which is overkill for the average street rider...

S2R1000

I have owned a DS1000 aricooled bike before (GT1000) and the DS is a pleasure to ride. Tons of TQ and a great amount of power for the street. Couple that with great reliablilty and cheaper maint. you really can't go wrong with it. It's probably 90HP and into the 70's for TQ.

In the end you need to ride both...but i own a 999 and it's overkill in everyway for the street....i like my toys though....but those who know me will usually see my on my GF's monster 696 as i have alot more fun with it and i am actually a better rider on it.

the new DS1100 is almost the same motor as the DS1000 except more TQ. I really like the riding position of the 696....but you need to try old and new and see the differences.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well for starters....the S4R is superbike powered...that year is the 999 motor (130HP). It's an animal in that light bike, which is fine as long as you haveprior experience with high HP and TQ. S model also has full Ohlins suspension which is overkill for the average street rider...

S2R1000

I have owned a DS1000 aricooled bike before (GT1000) and the DS is a pleasure to ride. Tons of TQ and a great amount of power for the street. Couple that with great reliablilty and cheaper maint. you really can't go wrong with it. It's probably 90HP and into the 70's for TQ.

In the end you need to ride both...but i own a 999 and it's overkill in everyway for the street....i like my toys though....but those who know me will usually see my on my GF's monster 696 as i have alot more fun with it and i am actually a better rider on it.

the new DS1100 is almost the same motor as the DS1000 except more TQ. I really like the riding position of the 696....but you need to try old and new and see the differences.
Thanks for your take on it and the motor information. I thought it was just a suspension and parts upgrade. All I have had to look at were the adds online. Is there any riding position difference between the 696 and the 1100? It's always more fun to ride the pussy when you know you got the tiger at home.

I have 30 yrs. experience with HD and wanted to try something different. I have to admit these bikes are a whole different can of worms than I was use to. Maybe I'm to old to learn any new tricks and I'm wasting my time. It would certainly be easer to just buy another HD. I did demo a SF at AMS in Dallas last week. BTW what a great Ducati Dealership and staff. The SF is a experience. The kid in me says get that one, but the adult says you will kill yourself. Thats why I started considering the Monster. To be honest I would purchase a MV Agusta Brutale if the dealer support was there. Even though I was warned, I didn't have any problem with the Tuono or K1300S but I may not be experienced enough for the superbikes. I prefer the riding position of the Naked Bikes but they do seem to have to be driven hard and thats not my style. I purchased a 09 KLR 650 a couple months back to mix things up. I just made me wish for a bigger much more powerful street bike.

While comparing the 696 & 1100 S on the Ducati site, I just discovered that if you click on the Model Year at the bottom it egresses to each prior model year. So this answers quite a few Monster model questions I had. I think the DS1000 or DS1100 is fine for me. But the kid still says get the S4R. I wish they hadn't dropped the S2R from their line-up. I love the look.

I would still appreciate any others thoughts on the S2R. Is it a classic design or a dated. Good investment or pure preference. Deal or dud for you?

I don't want to boil any ones blood here but I've seen post online refer to the Monsters as a chick bike. Thats the last thing I want. If I want to pussy foot around I can ride the KLR for a whole lot le$$. I only want to buy one more time so I got to get this one right. Any input appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Regarding the styling, I would say it is just a matter of perference. Personally, I am with you that the S2R is something special. First, it is the last Monster with a "real" Ducati frame (i.e, all trellis tube frame, as opposed to the 1100 / 696 which have a hybrid frame with some trellis and some castings). Also, the funky aluminum single sided swingarm on the S2R is very cool. Swingarms on the new Monsters are nice, but would also look at home on any current Japanese sportbike IMHO.

Another major difference that hardly anyone ever mentions is the suspension design. New Monsters have the shock mounted as a direct link between the swingarm and frame, like the old Ducati supersports. All past monsters used a linkage, just like practically every current sportbike on the planet, including Ducati superbikes.

The major blemish on the S2R styling-wise is the huge udder-like catalytic converter under the bike. That is easily fixed by replacing it with an aftermarket midpipe. You then have to monkey with the fueling I think (not sure - not a Monster expert!).

The DS1000 motor is plenty for most people for street riding. Including yours truly. The S4R has way more on tap, which is beneficial if i) you are an extremely accomplished rider, or ii) you have a small penis and feel the need for the bragging rights, or iii) you just like to look at cool toys in your garage. Two of the above three are legitimate reasons to buy one.

(Oh, and if you are buying one of these bikes as an "investment" you are an idiot. No offense.)

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
basically air cooled vs liquid cooled and big power/delivery difference between the 2.
Any of the liter class monsters is only considered a chick bike by those w/ S.P.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I personally haven't ridden the S4R, but I have ridden the SF and I own an S2R 1K. I love this bike! Everytime I get on another bike, including the SF, I realize how great my air cooled Monster really is in comparison. The S2R rides very similarly to the SF, in fact, the only difference that I felt was the power above 7K RPM and above 100 mph. And, I should restate the previous statement, I didn't feel the difference, but simply noticed it on the speedometer (keep in mind that my S2R 1K is modded). The ergonomics are great for the street and the bike truly rips it up in the canyons with the best on the road (only limited by your ability). Basically, if you plan to stay south of 110 mph, in my opinion, there is nothing better and very few (if any) bikes that will get away from it (of course if you like riding faster than 110, then the S2R 1K is likely not the bike for you).

In terms of looks, well, that's a personal opinion, but as stated by another poster, the single sided swing arm looks great and has been copied by the aftermarket scene for inclusion on Japanese bikes. The bike is unique and you will see few others on the road (I am directly referring to the Monsters with the trellis looking rear swing arm). My personal bike has an Arrow full exhaust (no bladder), FatDuc manipulator for fueling, 14T front sprocket, an open clutch with rear spring matching pressure plate, dual headlights, no windscreen, bar end mirrors, bigger grips (I have big hands) and CRG shorty levers. I have never run into anybody confusing it as a "girl" bike, especially when I start it (the deep sound of the exhaust coupled with the clack of the open clutch is an awesome sound and a definitive Ducati trait). With a full exhaust, the bike truly lives up to its name. Also, when comparing d*cks, the idea that a lightweight bike, such as the Duc, has a 1,000 cc motor always stops any conversation headed in that direction.

Good luck with your purchase.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
I agree that a 2-valve offers adequate performance for the street but when I tested the new Monster 1100S I found I wouldn't want to substitute the engine for my S4Rs. Sometimes more power than you need is just the right amount!! The Monster 1100S review is here

·
Registered
871 Posts
Believe me I'm not trying to sound chauvinistic; however, only a very experienced female rider or male rider for that matter would ride an
S4RS. The S4R/S4RS probably has almost twice the HP of any stock Harley.

Funny thing is; out of all the riders who have paid me complements on my
S4RS, the most have been Harley riders. Having owned a few Harley's myself, it brings a smile to my face every time.

If your not that experienced riding a high powered sport bike, I would take some time becoming familiar with the S4RS.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Is there any way of making the radiator look a bit better? I'm wondering if there is a smaller, but still just as capable option or maybe some bodywork that ties it into the body better. I love the idea of the power of the S4RS, but really hate the look of the radiator.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Is there any way of making the radiator look a bit better? I'm wondering if there is a smaller, but still just as capable option or maybe some bodywork that ties it into the body better. I love the idea of the power of the S4RS, but really hate the look of the radiator.

Then buy an S2R. The radiator sticking out is just how the bike is. S4R's will only go as fast as you twist the throttle. I don't ride mine at 130 mph, but when you want/need it, it is there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Then buy an S2R. The radiator sticking out is just how the bike is. S4R's will only go as fast as you twist the throttle. I don't ride mine at 130 mph, but when you want/need it, it is there.
That's why I have an S2R, but just wanted to know if there were any new options.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I had these covers (when the bike was red) for a while but then found the scoops that are on the bike now (white paint scheme). Although the scoops don't hide the radiator I like the look better and I discovered that the radiator (for me) adds to the character of the bike.

Attachments

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
I love the idea of the power of the S4RS, but really hate the look of the radiator.
which is another reason some prefer the 2v air cooled motor. that and cost of service.

they're all great bikes, you just gotta decide what is best for you.

have fun with the hunt

·
Registered
61 Posts
The huge rad is what i actually love about the look of the s4rs... I agree that it adds character... slightly off topic, but how do those scoops mount to the frame? And more importantly, where did you get them? (motowheels or monsterparts?) I want a set for my s4rs :)

I had these covers (when the bike was red) for a while but then found the scoops that are on the bike now (white paint scheme). Although the scoops don't hide the radiator I like the look better and I discovered that the radiator (for me) adds to the character of the bike.

·
Registered
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring
33 Posts
Might I suggest, since your a harley guy... you look into the Buell 1125rs! Its equal comp to the monster S4RS... and with 25 yrs under your belt I bet you have a great relationship with your HD dealer!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Might I suggest, since your a harley guy... you look into the Buell 1125rs! Its equal comp to the monster S4RS... and with 25 yrs under your belt I bet you have a great relationship with your HD dealer!
Wow, I've never heard anyone say a Buell was equal compared to any Ducati let alone an S4RS!!!!!!!!!

That statement is so wrong on so many levels I won't even begin to address it. Unless the other members just glaze over that statement I assume they'll be a ton of responses.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I don't believe that it has an H-D or buell designed engine. But thanks, I'll just keep my crappy S4RS.

·
Registered
698 Posts
How funny - sizmtrz never said anything about the Monster having anything designed by HD or Buell. And I'm not insulted by the statement that the 1125r is comparable to the S4rs, after all they are both liquid-cooled twins.

Saying that a Duck can't be compared to and HD or Buell is just silly and arrogant to me. They are just bikes people :alien:

·
Registered
871 Posts
How funny - sizmtrz never said anything about the Monster having anything designed by HD or Buell. And I'm not insulted by the statement that the 1125r is comparable to the S4rs, after all they are both liquid-cooled twins.

Saying that a Duck can't be compared to and HD or Buell is just silly and arrogant to me. They are just bikes people :alien:
I guess in the big scheme of things, you're right. Ride whatever makes you happy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts