Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a sport touring newbie (have a Monster S2R 1000 already) and I'm considering a 2004-2007 ST3(S, if I can find one), love the looks-sound-touring ability, but have a few concerns and questions:

Questions:
1)with an out of production bike, how easy will it be to get parts at this point?
2)the bike will be used 2 up most of the time - is it easy enough to get accessories such as a touring seat, top case (to have a back rest + space) and after market pipes (termignonis or other). Where can a St rider best get these parts?
3) has your experience with the ST been that the bike is pretty reliable? Planning to do proper maintenance + a fair bit of distance
4) Finally, are there recommended performance mods I should consider?

Thanks for yout comments and suggestions.....

·
7,733 Posts
First year for ST3 "S" model was 2006.

1) May prove challenging in the long term, but short term should be okay. Most bikes lines come to an end, some earlier than others. This concern is relevant to all makes/models.

2) Not a major issue getting most if not all of those items. A 2004 will not need a DP ecu or other aftermarket fuel metering altering device to makie it run right, ie open loop injection.

3) My experience with my '05 model has been very good. Is more pricey to service than other brands due to cam belts, and desmo shims. If I don't have the money, I'd rather not ride for a while, than not own a ST3.

4) Aftermarket slip ons, c/f if you can find them. Upgrade frt sprngs and dampers, swap out rear shock, add rear height adjustable feature, ie either a link or adjustable shock. (if not a S model)

Early 2004 models had a service bulletin to replace closer rocker springs and ecu. Check to see this work was done if buying '04. If, by some chance, the bike is still shod with Michelin Pilot, not the II's, ditch them asap.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Adding to what stryder said...The top case brackets and mounting plate kits should still be available from Ducati. The plate should be for the Givi top case which can be had from Ducati or you can pick up any of the Givi MonoKey cases. The Ducati version is also is made by Givi and did include a backrest.

I have a 2005 ST3 which has been pretty reliable. I have done my own maintenance since the 2nd year. Bike now has 42,000 miles and has not had any reliability issues.

You might need to upgrade the seat but give it a try first before investing in that mod. I ended up putting a Sargent seat on mine in year two and really like it.

Finally, if you've been doing your own maintenance so far I don't think you'll find the ST3 much different than your S2R. Add at least 30 minutes to an hour for the bodywork R&R.

Bill W.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Ducati is about the worst company to deal with when talking about long-term support. Almost all of the ST accessories (except those that are multi-fit) are out of production. The comfort seat doubly so, since the company that was making them for Ducati went out of business. Aftermarket options still exist, but some companies are now dropping ST bits from their catalogs.

eBay is your best bet for the accessories. Stock parts are guaranteed to be available for 10 years by federal law. However, like of lot of ST'ers, I'm starting to stock up on replacement parts when I find them, as they will undoubtedly become much harder to find as time goes on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Made some progress with my bike search: found a one owner, full service record ST3S, 12,000 miles, stock. Would want a Sargent or Corbin seat and the DP termignonis/ecu, maybe heated grips and an HID conversion. Should have some news next week. The bike needs the 12K service and valve adjustment, not sure how much the mods and service will add to the price...

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Made some progress with my bike search: found a one owner, full service record ST3S, 12,000 miles, stock. Would want a Sargent or Corbin seat and the DP termignonis/ecu, maybe heated grips and an HID conversion. Should have some news next week. The bike needs the 12K service and valve adjustment, not sure how much the mods and service will add to the price...
FYI, the headlight reflector housing is all plastic. The HID bulb would likely melt it.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I'd estimate appx $2500+ for all listed "want" mods above to include the service ($800-1000 estimated).

·
Registered
920 Posts
Might want to ride that thing a while before you spend $ on a saddle. You will find the stocker to be quite comfortable. MY+ '04 ST3-4 has the most comfortable saddle I've owned, including Corbin on other bikes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts