Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When braking at low speeds, my bike does some strange pulsing. I'm guessing one of the front rotors is warped. Any other possibilities?

If that is the issues, anybody out there have one good rotor? I've got an '08 1100 HM.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Are your pads non standard?
Maybe a mismatch causing heat related warping of disk.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing as well. When I go to the brakes for a long time, or hard, I get a kind of "honking" "shrieking" sound from the front.

I thought it might have been a loose front fender vibrating and resonating, but it is tight. The brakes still seem to function well, or at least as well as my 848 in regular street applications.

Also, when i back the bike up in parking lots, I get a clicking sound from the front rotors, is this normal?

Lastly, I changed pads thinking they might be the culprit, but the symptoms are the same.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The clicking sound is normal, nothing to worry about. It could be that your rotors aren't actually bent or warped, but the spacers are stuck. Try moving them left and right and spraying it with brake cleaner. Made a lot of difference on my rotors. It's not completely gone, but definitely much better.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Get a dial indicator and measure the run-out on each rotor. Should show which is warped.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are your pads non standard?
Maybe a mismatch causing heat related warping of disk.
Just picked it up with 3k miles, so I'm guess the pads are stock (?).
Taking it into the shop to have the rotor dialed. Didn't notice the pulsing when I took it for a test ride. Last owner says he didn't know about any issues, and may actually give me some money back. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a similar issue a couple of years ago with a Speed Triple when moving at low speed. The shop tech thought it was a warped disc but it turned out to be a 'thin' patch. For some reason part of one disc was about 0.05mm thinner than the rest. Triumph replaced both discs and pads with new ones under warranty.

Cheers

·
Registered
199 Posts
This is what happened to me just recently with my 796. I had ~11K miles on it when it started "pulsing". Got progressively worse to the point I was scared to use the front brakes and I finally took it in to have the shop check for warping. Both discs were warped. Brake discs are kind of a grey area as far as warranty is concerned. If you're lucky and the bike has low miles your shop may be able to convince Ducati NA to replace them within warranty as a sign of good faith. I wasn't so lucky :) Alex (08hyper) came to my rescue with a fresh set of rotors though ( bless you Alex ;) ).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Rotors dialed to .04 and .02mm off. So I guess that was the problem. Don't feel like shelling out $1k+ for a set. Doesn't seem to be much out there besides the OEMs.

Any suggestions?

*edit*

Just picked up the bike. Rotors dialed to .004 and .002, not .04/.02. Thickness varies less than .0015". Guy said this was well within factory limits. He suggested having the rotors floated a bit. For a couple hours labor, he's 90% sure it should fix the problem. Think I'll have that done.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Rotors dialed to .04 and .02mm off. So I guess that was the problem. Don't feel like shelling out $1k+ for a set. Doesn't seem to be much out there besides the OEMs.

Any suggestions?

*edit*

Just picked up the bike. Rotors dialed to .004 and .002, not .04/.02. Thickness varies less than .0015". Guy said this was well within factory limits. He suggested having the rotors floated a bit. For a couple hours labor, he's 90% sure it should fix the problem. Think I'll have that done.
What ever ended up happening with this? I'm having similar problems on my M696 right now. Is this common?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2010 HYM 796. I took it to dealer this afternoon and left it there. They are going to check / measure the rotors tomorrow. They had already contacted the importer and they will replace the rotors if they are not in spec.

Importer had mentioned that a few Diavels have had the same thing but my bike was the first Hypermotard (in Finland) to have this problem. Don't know how reliable info that is...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2010 HYM 796. I took it to dealer this afternoon and left it there. They are going to check / measure the rotors tomorrow. They had already contacted the importer and they will replace the rotors if they are not in spec.

Importer had mentioned that a few Diavels have had the same thing but my bike was the first Hypermotard (in Finland) to have this problem. Don't know how reliable info that is...
Both rotors on my bike dialed to 0.03 mm off. Now waiting for importers comments.

And I asked the dealer to turn off the CEL light (the instrument panel was changed a little while ago and there is this wrench symbol in dash after 1000 kms on the clock) but of cource they forgot it. They allways forget something.:mad:

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
The clicking sound is normal, nothing to worry about. It could be that your rotors aren't actually bent or warped, but the spacers are stuck. Try moving them left and right and spraying it with brake cleaner. Made a lot of difference on my rotors. It's not completely gone, but definitely much better.
What he said. ;) :)

You only need a few things to check it with,,,,

Use a marker pen to mark the rotor into 12 segments (like a clockface)
So you can reference back to the position of each measurement.

Use a micrometer to measure rotor thickness.
Measure them at 12 different positions around the rotor, on both the inner and outer swept area of the pads. (= 24 actual measurements per rotor)

Use a Dial Indicator to measure rotor run-out.

Can of brake cleaner to give the buttons a good 'flushing'
Rotate the wheel slowly whilst lightly applying the brakes ,,,, to 'centralise' the rotors.

Repeat the dial indicator operation.

Compare any different readings.

Get the manufacturer's specs for wear limits and run-out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What he said. ;) :)

Can of brake cleaner to give the buttons a good 'flushing'
Any suggestions on what to "grab" the buttons with to rotate them? Fingers, needle nose pliers...?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Your rotors are warped, part of the problem is that they Brembo made them on the thin side at 4.5mm most rotors that size are 5mm, after warping 2 sets of stock rotors I gave up, & went to Galpher, warped 3 sets of them too, (too thin also) finally went to Braketech which are 5mm & have had no problems yet. Aloha Alex

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Your rotors are warped, part of the problem is that they Brembo made them on the thin side at 4.5mm most rotors that size are 5mm, after warping 2 sets of stock rotors I gave up, & went to Galpher, warped 3 sets of them too, (too thin also) finally went to Braketech which are 5mm & have had no problems yet. Aloha Alex
alex.... you're a hard braking mo-fo! :eek:

:cool:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I got a phone call this afternoon from the dealer. They have ordered new rotors and pads for my and they will be replaced under warranty.:)

Hopefully before first snow...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I got a phone call this afternoon from the dealer. They have ordered new rotors and pads for my and they will be replaced under warranty.:)

Hopefully before first snow...
My Hyper got new front brakes (+front tire) on thursday. I have only ridden 120 kms since and all in rain. So no hard brakings yet.

But I can tell that the pulsing is gone and it has a lot less initial bite than before. Of course pads need to settle but compared to earlier behavior in slow speed braking it's much better now. Not jerky on/off feeling, more progressive and smoother.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts