Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Full fairing bike 10 fastners total--I use an electric screw gun and seriously 3 min to take everything off at the most--they are all out in the open & none hiding

Reactions: Fargoin

·
Premium Member
5,440 Posts
Buy the $5500 mile bike after verifying the welded the frame before powdercoating it. that one has the original frame I believe which means if it is repaired and done right you are good to go but if it just got a paint job on the frame you may some day have a cracked frame under the powder.

the parts alone would make me look close at this one the ohlins shock and FCR carbs are about a $1500 upgrade at USED prices if you bought them new the upgrades would cost you closer to $2000. Funny they also swapped the fuel tank to the early style so I would see if they have the original or find out what the history is, wreck? On the surface I would grab the bike in Ma. unless you want to restore the bike to original condition. Both should have chrome studs so inspect them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
The owner of the $2k CR took a look at the carbs yesterday and told me they were worse than expected and he didn't feel comfortable selling in that condition. Not sure if he plans on getting the bike back on the road or what. May have saved me from myself.

I think I am going to focus on finding one locally or at least within a days drive.

Did Ducati remedy the head studs on the production line at some point? If so, what years?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi everyone,

So the $5500 900SS is mine. I always wanted a red and white SS which explains the paint job. It was black when I bought it and needed some work. I stripped it down, had the frame reinforced and powdercoated and the bodywork painted by my neices husband who had a shop in Michigan. I bought a CR just to get the Ohlins and FCRs. I still have that bike and will be selling it as well. I replaced every bearing and gasket I could get to including the wheel, swingarm and steering head bearings. It's a great running SS. It also won best two valve Ducati at the Larz Anderson European bike show in 2019. Unfortunately it fell over in the grass that day leaving some slight damage on the right fairing. I don't think I've put more than 500 miles on the bike since then.

Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
My ‘96 broke one. I think ‘97 was supposed to be okay, but there might be a serial number out there telling when the change was made. Mine were not broken when I bought the bike, with 26000 miles on it. It broke later. I used the APE studs because they are full diameter not tapered.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
alot of these bikes are out there still running with chrome studs and they are not hanger queens. They are more prone to breaking then the non-chrome studs but they dont all do it. I am building a second engine for my 91 900SS I found a spare short crank engine -It had chrome studs in it and none were broken. -Now does that mean I am going to re-use them --Hell no I have new studs but that said If I had chrome studs in my engine I would continue to run it like that until & if one ever broke. again there are plenty of bikes out there that are still running those evil chrome studs with no issues-------Yet.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
If I had one apart for some reason and I found I had the studs that break I’d think about changing them, but most of them DIDNT break, and some don’t break until you try to remove them , so there really isn’t a clear cut answer. I bought the whole set of 8 studs when the first broke and replaced all 4 on one cylinder. At a later date I replaced the studs in the other cylinder when I had it apart for other reasons.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
If I had one apart for some reason and I found I had the studs that break I’d think about changing them, but most of them DIDNT break, and some don’t break until you try to remove them , so there really isn’t a clear cut answer. I bought the whole set of 8 studs when the first broke and replaced all 4 on one cylinder. At a later date I replaced the studs in the other cylinder when I had it apart for other reasons.
And that is exactly what I would recommend to anyone--If it aint broke dont fix it --at least on those studs, --If I had them in my bike I would not disassemble the engine just to replace the studs----If I had the engine out and the top end off --sure I would replace them at that point, But I have heard of people just pulling an engine to change studs that are not broken--I agree with doing preventative maintenance --but thats just crazy talk lol

Reactions: Fargoin

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Especially since if they aren’t broke by now, maybe they won’t. It’s worth the gamble to me. Plus the price of gaskets etc, and you might want to put new rings in, not cheap. Also, sometimes they break when you try to remove them, one of mine did, and if it breaks off flush with the crank case it’s a PITA.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I noticed in that ad--engine stuck--aka SEIZED---again the most expensive Ducati is that one you found that was cheap--

·
Registered
current Ducatis '00 748s, 93 900ss
78 Posts
Thanks guys! Looks like you saved me some heartache.

1995 Ducati 900SS-CR - motorcycle parts - by owner - vehicle...
I didn't realize that is the one you were considering, he has had it for sale for a while. I was tempted to look at it a month or so ago before he realized how bad it was. its only about an hour 45 from me and if I could find the time I would probably go take a look at it, but even going by his word alone I don't think I would go near asking on it. for me it would just be a core and a title-able frame to build something out of. There have been at least a dozen go up for sale in the greater Chicago area since New Years if you find something you might find interesting let me know and I can try to take a look at it for you.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
That bike would be a good candidate for a race bike---keep little and throw the rest way and the price would be around $500.00 at the most.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Especially since if they aren’t broke by now, maybe they won’t. It’s worth the gamble to me. Plus the price of gaskets etc, and you might want to put new rings in, not cheap. Also, sometimes they break when you try to remove them, one of mine did, and if it breaks off flush with the crank case it’s a PITA.
I have nightmares about this ... yuk. I start to second guess my choices .. "Why did I buy this thing anyway? I should have bought an early S2R" ... ugh.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
You can probably keep the old studs from breaking as you remove them, but normally they just don’t want to come out. I had to use every trick in the book to get them out. All are replaced now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I didn't realize that is the one you were considering, he has had it for sale for a while. I was tempted to look at it a month or so ago before he realized how bad it was. its only about an hour 45 from me and if I could find the time I would probably go take a look at it, but even going by his word alone I don't think I would go near asking on it. for me it would just be a core and a title-able frame to build something out of. There have been at least a dozen go up for sale in the greater Chicago area since New Years if you find something you might find interesting let me know and I can try to take a look at it for you.
That is awesome, thanks! BTW, I saw a post on FB from a guy who is going to buy the bike today.

·
Registered
current Ducatis '00 748s, 93 900ss
78 Posts
That is awesome, thanks! BTW, I saw a post on FB from a guy who is going to buy the bike today.
must have, or someone else did, the ad is down. it would be interesting to see what comes of it. I've seen a few in this condition over the past few years that have ended back up for sale in a few months once the buyer figured out what he got himself into.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
I bought my 98 CR back in 2011 for $3,800. It was very clean, but it still required about $2,000 in service to bring it up to a reliable daily riding machine. It was a very fun bike, but sadly my 6'5" 220lb body was not suited for it, so I parted with it in 2013.
The person I sold it to still hasn't put it on the road or even started it yet.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I managed to remove all 8 chrome studs from my spare engine with no issues--2 were harder to remove then the other 6 but all came out undamaged ---I have new non-chrome studs to replace them with. ---I'll be happy to sell someone these nice undamaged chrome studs for a really good price --pmsl

·
Registered
26 Posts
CR has a trouble free steel swingarm. CR has no external adjustments on the forks but once you get them sorted for you there is no longer a need to adjust. Lot of options available to swap out the forks exist, the SP forks are not all that great anyway. Half fairing is a cool look on these engines with a trellis frame. Everything else is identical. I believe there were more CR's imported to the US than SP's and they were cheaper and still are.

If you are a lightweight fellow, don't overlook the 750 CR, they are a rocket too.
This man knows. This is the way.

900CR is underrated, and that exposed engine...makes the look for me.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts