Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
CR has a trouble free steel swingarm. CR has no external adjustments on the forks but once you get them sorted for you there is no longer a need to adjust. Lot of options available to swap out the forks exist, the SP forks are not all that great anyway. Half fairing is a cool look on these engines with a trellis frame. Everything else is identical. I believe there were more CR's imported to the US than SP's and they were cheaper and still are.

If you are a lightweight fellow, don't overlook the 750 CR, they are a rocket too.
I have yet to see a 750 for sale.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Ha! Most were run hard on the track, there was a class back then in racing competing against the inline 600cc 4's ! MIght not be as many left but during the lockdown a lot of garage queens have been coming out for sale, both from money being tight and from projects cleaning up around the garage.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
So for $2000 plus shipping you get a 900cr that may suffer a broken stud some day.
Is cosmetically a 4 out of 10
Has a rear sprung and likely the front as well though the owner has no idea what a emulator is (not used in these forks).
Has showa forks.
Has a factory updated replacement frame so the cracks may never be a issue.
low miles but bad care based on the oil and hydraulic fluids.

You will put at least $1000-2000 into it but it does have a frame you may not ever need fixed vs a better condition bike with a original frame.
I would certainly consider it.

·
Registered
current Ducatis '00 748s, 93 900ss
78 Posts
if it was able to have eyes directly on it it would be a very minor maybe, but since it is across the country and needs another 500-1000 just in shipping I would have to say pass. this os a bike for 2 specific buyers. 1. the guy who knows what it is exactly and knows what its gonna take to get where they want it, and the guy that has stars in his eyes. you don't want to be the second guy. I purchased a bike in similar condition earlier in the year for considerably less and know exactly what I was getting into. even with that I may have paid more than was prudent but I have no timeline on it and can store it until I feel like getting it going. even with that the one I got was a 93 full fairing which is more akin to an "SP" in terms of equipment so I can be made whole even if I needed to part it out. I cant say I am confident enough in the bike you proposed to say the same. take your time and you will hopefully find something that fits the bill.
-mjn

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So for $2000 plus shipping you get a 900cr that may suffer a broken stud some day.
Is cosmetically a 4 out of 10
Has a rear sprung and likely the front as well though the owner has no idea what a emulator is (not used in these forks).
Has showa forks.
Has a factory updated replacement frame so the cracks may never be a issue.
low miles but bad care based on the oil and hydraulic fluids.

You will put at least $1000-2000 into it but it does have a frame you may not ever need fixed vs a better condition bike with a original frame.
I would certainly consider it.
How did you identify the replacement frame?

·
Registered
505 Posts
What do you think?

I have the opportunity to buy this but it is across the country. The price is right but shipping ain't cheap these days. Am I going to wish I saved a bullet for myself?

1995 Ducati 900SS-CR for sale. Bike has been sitting under a cover in my garage for 10 years. It's a little rough around the edges and will need the carbs cleaned and a new battery to run, but it ran when parked and has been stored with a dry tank, so it shouldn't be too hard to get back on the road. Will need tires too. Has about 12K miles. Asking $2,000.

Some other details:
  • Prior to being parked I replaced the timing belt and rebuilt the carbs with new jets and needles.
  • Forks and shock were rebuilt with Racetech Gold emulators for a 200 pound rider; less than 500 miles on rebuild, but again they have been sitting
  • Includes stock and aftermarket exhaust, and rear sets
  • Small crack on right side front fairing

View attachment 1009625 View attachment 1009626 View attachment 1009627 View attachment 1009628 View attachment 1009629 View attachment 1009630 View attachment 1009631 View attachment 1009632 View attachment 1009633
That really isn't a bad price - only if it were local to you. It kind of starts not making sense when you add the shipping, unfortunately.

This is also the other side of the country, but...

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
I bought mine at a price point, I had the cash, I wanted a Ducati, and it ran good, and I didn’t know the difference. Now I do. Now you do too.

Reactions: Fargoin

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
"How did you identify the replacement frame? "

picture #9 I think shows the gas tank latch bracket bolted to the frame.
This type frame attached to the bracket with a wide weld vs a pair of round nuts welded to the early frames it was not used until 1997 but was used on the replacement frames complete with all stickers and stamped in Italy with the original VIN . So if the VIN is a early build date but late style frame it is a replacement which would be a good thing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
That really isn't a bad price - only if it were local to you. It kind of starts not making sense when you add the shipping, unfortunately.

This is also the other side of the country, but...
I saw that one. Stunning. It's even in my old hood. I grew up pretty close to there. I'm afraid with shipping it is out of my budget.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
.. for whatever it's worth, when I first got my '96CR I wasn't really impressed with it's looks. The longer I've owned it the better looking it's become. I'm at the point now where I really love it's looks.

~Nicer ones~ can be wonderful to look at and fun to ride ... fairly easy to keep once the bad ideas are worked out of it (cylinder studs, "shitty" frame cracking at the headstock which is fixable and is also preventable if the frame hasn't cracked, et al..).

As far as trick shocks/forks go, most riders have zip-clue on setting up their enginecycles' suspension, little twisty knobs many times only get folks into trouble. That's not a universal truth, but it covers a solid and noteworthy percentage of the bike owners out there. If you pretty much stay close to home and ride pretty much within a tank of fuel there's a good chance you can have the CR front end set-up to suit the area and your skill level without having to go to ~better~ forks. There's quite a bit that can be done with air space, oil viscosity, spring rate, spring type, spring preload. There are experts around here that can set up a CR front end for you if that is something you don't wish to handle on your own (or can't handle yourself). If they can't help you they may be able to direct you to someone that can. Point being all is not lost if you "settle" for the lowly CR.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
I wanted a a full fairing but in retrospect, I like the CR fairing. Easier to work on and quieter.

Reactions: 900DesmoSS

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I am leaning towards a full fairing, they are gorgeous, but CR have been growing on me. I do hate taking off fairings when working on bikes.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Here’s the thing, you can’t see the fairing when you’re riding, and all the people you pass don’t care. I have one full faired motorcycle, a Hayabusa. Even though it’s not that big of a deal to remove the fairing, I think sometimes I avoid doing it. I’m actually glad I have the half fairing on the SS , you can do maintenance and cleaning much easier.

·
Premium Member
93 900ss,2019 Triumph 1200XE, 2017 CRF250L RALLY, 2003 F650GS DAKAR, 1993 KLR250, 1986 HONDA TLR20
263 Posts
I would rather spend 5500 on this looks like real nice rider. 2k for the CR you will be in it for 5k and it won't be this nice and ready to rock. Providing the add is accurate.

Reactions: RockAZ

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
be prepared to spend more then the purchase price to fix and repair & get it safe to ride

Reactions: Fargoin

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I would rather spend 5500 on this looks like real nice rider. 2k for the CR you will be in it for 5k and it won't be this nice and ready to rock. Providing the add is accurate.

That one is neat they painted it to look like a 1991 lol

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I am leaning towards a full fairing, they are gorgeous, but CR have been growing on me. I do hate taking off fairings when working on bikes.
You could always find a set of full side fairings those & a couple of side support mounts and they bolt right on --& by the way it takes about 3 min to remove the full fairings

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
You could always find a set of full side fairings those & a couple of side support mounts and they bolt right on --& by the way it takes about 3 min to remove the full fairings
Good to know. The last full faired bike I had took about 20 screws and perfect alignment to get it back together. It was a frustrating 20 minute job.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts