Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you think?

I have the opportunity to buy this but it is across the country. The price is right but shipping ain't cheap these days. Am I going to wish I saved a bullet for myself?

1995 Ducati 900SS-CR for sale. Bike has been sitting under a cover in my garage for 10 years. It's a little rough around the edges and will need the carbs cleaned and a new battery to run, but it ran when parked and has been stored with a dry tank, so it shouldn't be too hard to get back on the road. Will need tires too. Has about 12K miles. Asking $2,000.

Some other details:
  • Prior to being parked I replaced the timing belt and rebuilt the carbs with new jets and needles.
  • Forks and shock were rebuilt with Racetech Gold emulators for a 200 pound rider; less than 500 miles on rebuild, but again they have been sitting
  • Includes stock and aftermarket exhaust, and rear sets
  • Small crack on right side front fairing

4 - Uv6gclu.jpg
1 - 0JwrLHp (1) - Copy.jpg
2 - Eg89gAd - Copy.jpg
3 - qcxmr27 - Copy.jpg
4 - Uv6gclu - Copy.jpg
5 - Ec0Aqrn - Copy.jpg
6 - QKaCBTW - Copy.jpg
7 - u8NDMiw - Copy.jpg
242 - Copy.jpg

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just bought a 2000 ST4 and rode it cross-country (from oceanside, California to Hamilton, Ontario). I am not advising you do the same but it is food for thought. Bike looks a little rough, probably due to storage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm selling my 06.
Gorgeous. I actually saw it and sent you a message on Marketplace. I am partial to the previous gen but yours is making me second guess that. Looks brand new!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just bought a 2000 ST4 and rode it cross-country (from oceanside, California to Hamilton, Ontario). I am not advising you do the same but it is food for thought. Bike looks a little rough, probably due to storage.
Damn, you could of ridden this bike from Wisconsin to me in San Diego and then ridden your new bike back! Sounds like a great fly n ride, hope you had fun!

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
That CR is going to need some serious effort at cleaning, won't all your California friends make fun of you for having so much rust on a bike?

Keep looking.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Bikes don’t age well sitting under tarps for 10 years, and shipping turns it from a deal to a pass. Look for something local.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That CR is going to need some serious effort at cleaning, won't all your California friends make fun of you for having so much rust on a bike?

Keep looking.
No doubt. Last time I bought a bike from MN I told myself I would never buy a bike outside of the southwest again.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Damn, you could of ridden this bike from Wisconsin to me in San Diego and then ridden your new bike back! Sounds like a great fly n ride, hope you had fun!
AND I have one of those EXACT 900 SS-CR bikes here in Ontario, San Diego is a long haul on an SS, on the ST4 was grand! And I have a 1995 SS-SP in Oceanside, customised.

·
Registered
181 Posts
SP has adjustable front forks, full-fairing, CR is half-faired among other things...SP is more 'desirable'

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
The CR was the base model, the SP was the deluxe, and the difference in price right now doesn’t support buying a CR. It costs more to upgrade a CR to SP spec and when you are done it’s still a CR. Adjustable forks, full fairing , alloy swing arm , oil temp gauge, wider rear wheel, carbon fiber fenders. And if you buy all of that stuff in decent shape aftermarket, you have spent a ton of money and it still isn’t an SP.

Reactions: TDIFred

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah, but why do you have both? And which one gets more chicks?! Just kidding, I have 3 "chicks" at home I can't keep up with.
Well, I ride the one (it might be a 1993) in California when I am there (my brother in Oceanside looks after it). It was cheaper to buy it than rent one for 10 days back in 2015 when we bought it. I bought my 1994 in 2014 up here and then an 899 Panigale in 2015 when the 900 was in the shop for months during riding season. Now I am back to two here. the ST4 is brilliant. As for chicks, I guess I don't hang out in the right locales as i have never found them to be chick magnets. Only once can I say this was untrue.

Reactions: Fargoin

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
This looks like the most expensive $2k Ducati I have ever seen.

You said before your budget was $5k max? Why don't you buy the best bike you can afford instead of scraping the bottom of the barrel for a bike that, although appears to be below your budget, will probably cost you much more in the long run to make as nice one that you can get closer to $5k.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I bought a CR locally, $1900. It now is SP spec on everything. But an SP is still worth more, and in the future, it will matter that it is a real SP with that little brass number plate on the triple.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This looks like the most expensive $2k Ducati I have ever seen.

You said before your budget was $5k max? Why don't you buy the best bike you can afford instead of scraping the bottom of the barrel for a bike that, although appears to be below your budget, will probably cost you much more in the long run to make as nice one that you can get closer to $5k.
I was afraid you were going to say that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bought a CR locally, $1900. It now is SP spec on everything. But an SP is still worth more, and in the future, it will matter that it is a real SP with that little brass number plate on the triple.
Were you happy with the purchase?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
CR has a trouble free steel swingarm. CR has no external adjustments on the forks but once you get them sorted for you there is no longer a need to adjust. Lot of options available to swap out the forks exist, the SP forks are not all that great anyway. Half fairing is a cool look on these engines with a trellis frame. Everything else is identical. I believe there were more CR's imported to the US than SP's and they were cheaper and still are.

If you are a lightweight fellow, don't overlook the 750 CR, they are a rocket too.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts