Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Three weeks ago I had to lock up the my ps1000le and fish-tail it avoid getting into an accident. My bike stayed up, but ever since then I've noticed front wheel is acting a little strange at slower speeds. When coming to a stop the front end wobbles a bit and when I go over a speed bump it feels like the front wheel temporarily has a mind of its own, reminds me of my old vw bus steering box when driving on a windy day. At higher speeds I can't notice a thing. Any suggestions on what may be the cause? I've got a good repair shop not too far from me, but thought if it might just need the bolts tighned i'd try it myself.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I would check that the spokes are still tight; push and pull them with your fingers or run a screwdriver along them and listen to them 'ring'. You can also check that no play has developed in the wheel bearings by putting both hands round one fork leg and grasping the spokes with your fingers; try and pull the wheel towards the fork leg and looking for sideways movement. Of course, something may have developed at the steering head or the swinging arm pivot. Have you tried pushing the rear wheel back and forth and checking for end float?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Start with the easiest first, check all bolts/nuts holding the axle for correct torque, like you said.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I would check every bolt from the axil to the clip ons. Lift the front end in the air and wiggle the wheel in all directions. Look for any play. or it could be just a case of shaken confidence.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'd start with proper tire pressure, and check for flat spots. Then look for broken or loose spokes, loose axle nut, etc. It can only be attributed to a small number of things, so check each one.

I got on to ride once after airing my tires (stock tires, mind you) properly about two days before, and the pressure had gone down more than 10psi front and rear, inexplicably, over the course of just two days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts