Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone interested in a comparison between a 2003 SS1000 and a PS1000 I spent a good amount on time this weekend comparing my two Ducatis. The wait for the PS ended Saturday and I have since ridden it about 190 miles. I rode it for 50 miles keeping it under 5000 rpm and varied the gear, rpm and speed constantly. Then after a complete cool down I rode it about 30 miles on the highway at a variety of speeds and a few times letting it pull from 3000 to 5500 fairly hard to get pressure on the rings. Another complete cool down and for last 100 miles I rode it normaly except for only hitting 7000 rpms a couple times on slow 4th gear pulls, again, I am a firm believer in needing to get good solid pressure on the rings fairly soon. Oil and filter change tonight before It goes out again.

The SS1000 has FBF high mount pipes, high flow intake, sargant saddle, CycleCat risers and zero gravity screen.

PS1000 has the DP 2 -1 full system with air cleaner mod and race ECU.

I am 6’1” and have long arms and legs, 200 lbs.

The SS is more comfortable. The CycleCat risers were a major PITA to get just the right compromise between angle, rise and fairing strut bending to get a noticable improvement. I didn’t want to bend my fairing struts more that ½” up. I am happy with the improved comfort they provide. Mostly because of my neck angle. The Sargant Saddle is only a slight comfort improvement over the excelent stock saddle. Leg bend seems like it is more relaxed than on the PS. Need to look at peg positions. I could not stand up on the PS easily to relax and stretch my legs. I can on the SS and I think I could when it was stock.

Mirrors on PS maybe not as good as stock SS mirrors, but adequate for my intended riding environment. They don’t make me nervous like some do.

The PS1000 position causes me to crane my neck uncomfortably to see down the road. The PS feels like there is more severe leg bend also. Both tanks support mid torso well. Wind blast on PS was low and very smooth, at 60 plus the weight on wrists was held off very well. I really like the smooth flow from the fairing. The SS has a zero gravity touring screen and it would be slightly better for cold mornings. PS seat is very comfortable.
The OHLINS front end absorbs small bumps on sweepers better that the Showas on the SS. I just felt a little more stable on the PS, maybe the steering geometry is different. The PS immediately felt a little slower to turn in. Both the fork springs and the rear shock may have a little stiffer spring on the PS. Both rear are OHLINS but the SS required more preload to set sag for my weight.
Have not spooled the PS up but I don’t expect to see much difference for obvious reasons.
I can’t explain how good the termi 2 – 1 on the PS sounds with the baffle out!! Now don’t get me wrong, the FBF carbon high pipes on the SS are sweet, the 2-1 termi is louder yet mellower.
I was so friggin tired of having to just look at pictures of the PS. This bike is art on wheels. I like the SS full fairing styling a lot. Mine is yellow and I think the RED SS is much nicer color. The 06 red with red frame is stunning!! Maybe a future project for my frumpy yellow SS. The PS is a whole lot of therapy just sitting there on the side stand to me. It may cause a drinking problem though. I had a hard time going to bed last night because Mr Smart kept telling me to pop another top, sit, and relax. The septic tank has to go so I can see the left side, and the rear license plate hardware needs to be cleaned up a little. I don’t care for the chrome clutch cover much, so I will replace it with something simple. I may swap out the SS and PS clutch and front brake master cylinders, clamps, and such. They are identical with exception that on the PS they look like they are painted flat black, and on the SS they are gold anodized. I like the gold hardware better and it matches the OHLINs fork tubes.

Question. If the spacers are removed under the PS risers, how high will they pull up without interference from the fairing?

Later

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
SScowboy said:
The PS1000 position causes me to crane my neck uncomfortably to see down the road.

The PS immediately felt a little slower to turn in.

Later
Thanks for your comparison report! Very interesting.

Two comments -

(1) You are exactly right about having to crane your neck to see down the road. I had to go out and buy new glasses because I was looking out over the tops of my rims. :p The riding position reminds me of riding old my 18-speed road bike (bicycle).

(2) I'm interested to hear you say that the PS is "a little slower to turn in". I am coming from a Monster S4R and the PS seemed (at first) to turn in too quickly. Instead of being on the outside edge of a curve I found myself clipping the center line. That's not a problem now because I have learned to anticipate the bike's moves. I've never ridden an SS so it could easily stear quicker than a PS. I guess it is all relative.

I haven't thought about removing the spacers so I can't tell you about handle bar height. I'm curious to hear what other people have to say. I wonder if anything on the handlebar would hit the faring?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
geospencer said:
Thanks for your comparison report! Very interesting.

(2) I'm interested to hear you say that the PS is "a little slower to turn in". I am coming from a Monster S4R and the PS seemed (at first) to turn in too quickly.
I wonder if the Monster had more of your weight on the saddle and on the PS more weight on the bars which might give you more leverage and get more weight on the front tire so it bites in so to speak?

Seems like I read that the stearing geometry on the PS is stretched out a bit for stability. That would answer my initial impression that is a touch slower to turn in, and I want to look at the specs on your Monster and see if I can determine the designed in difference. ANOTHER thought, the rear ride height on my SS is adjustable and I have it cranked up some, so dang it! I just may have solved my riddle.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I had a hard time going to bed last night because Mr Smart kept telling me to pop another top, sit, and relax.
he does that in real life too!

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
SScowboy said:
I wonder if the Monster had more of your weight on the saddle and on the PS more weight on the bars which might give you more leverage and get more weight on the front tire so it bites in so to speak?
Sounds reasonable to me.

What do you think about tires? Seems to me that these replica tires "hunt" a little.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
geospencer said:
What do you think about tires? Seems to me that these replica tires "hunt" a little.
I was very curious myself about these tires...I figured they'de be poor in the area of real traction and handling...but I guess that Terbi maybe thought these wouldn't get ridden much like the MH900e's...so therefore...great spec tires weren't a major order of business!...maybe I'm wrong....would love to hear one way or another!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Overall opinion of PS1000 LE

SScowboy said:
Question. If the spacers are removed under the PS risers, how high will they pull up without interference from the fairing? /QUOTE]

If you pull the spacers, you may have to adjust the fork stop on the right-side out about 5/32". Other than that, I didn't have any problems at all. It will raise the grips about 5/8" or so. It is a real improvement. Incidentally, after raising the clip-ons and riding it for 100 or so miles, the bike feels allot more natural and begin to grow comfortable with the bar position.

I am thinking that I will put higher risers on once there are some available that are reasonably priced and offer some flexibility. (You don't have a whloe lot of additional vertical room left after you remove the spacers, but there's likely another 1/2" or so available.

As to the tires, I have been rather impressed with the tires so far. I have about 450 miles on my PS, and I have had her over almost to the edge of the sidewall. (My lefthand side of the rear is scrubbed within 1/4-3/8" of the sidewall, probably about 3/8-1/2" on the right. No problems traction-wise to date.
-Capt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts