Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What makes a Paul Smart Replica a better bike (in any sense) than a SS 1000DS? Especially at $4K more.

bruce19

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Ohlins Suspension on the front and rear....spoked rims which I am guessing are lighter than the cast wheels......exclusive styling....a more comfortable saddle....for starters anyway....that and the opinion of what is more pleasing to the individual eye!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I believe the only better components on the PS are the adjustable Ohlins front and rear. The Sport has lesser components, and the forks are non-adjustable. Other than that, they share the same frame, wheels, seat, motor. Comparing it to the 1000DS, well, it has the same motor, the frame and everything else is different. I don't know if the Supersport has adjustable suspension or not, but it's not Ohlins. Me personally? I never liked the look of the '99 and up Supersports. I much prefer the look of the '98 and older. I have a '95, in fact. The look of the Sport 1000 really caught my eye, so I had to get one!

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
I don’t think that a Paul Smart is a “better” bike. (And the difference isn’t $4,000. It’s $3,000.) It is a slightly different bike. The shocks are better on the Paul Smart, the Paul Smart has a steering damper and the Paul Smart has a faring. The Sport Classic has really cool bar end mirrors. Other than that, everything else is same – engine, frame, wheels (both bikes have the same spoked wheels), tires.

One other thing that might raise the price is the fact that the Paul Smart is a “limited edition”. (There is talk that a “regular” Paul Smart will come out in a few years but it will have a different color frame and no Ohlin’s shocks.)

I bought the Paul Smart – not because I thought it was better – but because I have always loved the Ducati 750/900 SS (and the BMW R90S – you can see the theme here) and all of those models are hard to come by. To me, the PS is the next best thing. It is a “classic” motorcycle with modern amenities. However, I would have been just as happy with a standard Sport Classic. I was on record at the Ducati dealership to get a Sport Classic but something came up and I had a chance to get the PS so I did. If the chance had not come I would be impatiently waiting on a black Sport Classic.

2005 BMW R1200GS
2006 Daucati Paul Smart LE

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
DucatiGal said:
I believe the only better components on the PS are the adjustable Ohlins front and rear.
The SS1000DS has an Ohlins rear, so only the forks are better. And even then, it's questionable how much better they are.

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
st2lemans said:
The SS1000DS has an Ohlins rear, so only the forks are better.

Tom
You're exactly right! I'm comparing the PS to the wrong bike. (Sorry, that's what happens when you get my age. :confused: )

But once again, I say it is not a "better" bike. It is a different bike. And some of the things I said still hold true. The PS is a Limited Edition!

I love the looks of the Paul Smart (maybe because I am so old) but I have never cared for the looks of the SS 1000DS (or any of the new SS's for that matter). If you are paying for performance alone than the SS1000DS is a much better deal. I was paying for a bike that I thought looked cool (I'll admit it) and performed. I won't ever be able to use all the performance that is in either bike but I can ride pretty fast on the Paul Smart and look cool doing it. (And then when it is parked I enjoy just looking at it. :eek: )

Just forget it. I think I will go back to bed. Then I will get up from a nap in an hour or so and I will be as good as new. :p

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
geospencer said:
Other than that, everything else is same – engine, frame, wheels (both bikes have the same spoked wheels), tires.
the SuperSport or SS does not have the same wheels as any of the Sport Classics...the Sport Classics all have Wire Wheels whereas the SS has Cast Marchesini 5 spoke rims.....and the frame is similar...but not exactly the same....it is hard to tell sometimes because the trellis work looks so close...but they are not the same from the comparisons I was looking at of naked SS's to the Paul Smart....and the tires are definitly unique to the Sport Classic's only.....looks like they got those tires specifically to look close to old Metric and Bias Ply tread pattern tires of olden days so as to help sell the full retro package....

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
zooom said:
the SuperSport or SS does not have the same wheels as any of the Sport Classics...the Sport Classics all have Wire Wheels whereas the SS has Cast Marchesini 5 spoke rims.....and the frame is similar...but not exactly the same....it is hard to tell sometimes because the trellis work looks so close...but they are not the same from the comparisons I was looking at of naked SS's to the Paul Smart....and the tires are definitly unique to the Sport Classic's only.....looks like they got those tires specifically to look close to old Metric and Bias Ply tread pattern tires of olden days so as to help sell the full retro package....
You are right, Zooom. (Read my post above yours.) I screwed up. In my first post I was comparing a PS to an SC . . . . not an SS. (It's called old age.) Wheels and tires are the same for the PS and the SC. Wheels and tires are not the same for the PS and the SS - neither is the frame. The Paul Smart and the SuperSport are definitely different bikes. The Paul Smart and the Sport Classic are pretty similar. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
yes...the Paul Smart and the Sport 1000 are in fact very similar....but the GT1000 is the black sheep of the Sport Classics....has a different frame and suspension and though we haven't see em in person yet...I'd really be curious to know what else is different!?!?!?!?!?!

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
zooom said:
yes...the Paul Smart and the Sport 1000 are in fact very similar....but the GT1000 is the black sheep of the Sport Classics....has a different frame and suspension and though we haven't see em in person yet...I'd really be curious to know what else is different!?!?!?!?!?!
I'm looking at the Ducati Sport Classic brochure as we speak. The GT1000 has more upright handle bars, a pillion seat, handlebar mounted mirrors and chrome pipes (one on each side), and side frame covers above the engine (and below the seat). They both have the same wheels, tires,engine, etc. I can't tell much about the frame from the pictures. It might be longer.

By the way, I would love to have those side frame covers (in silver)! That's the one thing that I think is missing from the PS.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
geospencer said:
I'm looking at the Ducati Sport Classic brochure as we speak. The GT1000 has more upright handle bars, a pillion seat, handlebar mounted mirrors and chrome pipes (one on each side), and side frame covers above the engine (and below the seat). They both have the same wheels, tires,engine, etc. I can't tell much about the frame from the pictures. It might be longer.

By the way, I would love to have those side frame covers (in silver)! That's the one thing that I think is missing from the PS.
being that the rear portion of the frame from the seat back is still a part of the whole frame and not a seperate subframe as it were on the SC's...and the fact that the GT1000 has passenger pegs and a dual shock rear suspension as aposed to the mono shock so that the mounting is different...it affects the math geometry of the design so that the frame would have to be different

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to be clear, I wasn't challenging anyone's decision to buy (or just plain like) a PS over a SS. But, given the mechanicals I don't see a $4K difference. I like the PS style but given my riding needs I'd probably buy a SS if it was my only bike. FWIW, on a website I can't recall, the SS was a couple lbs. lighter and made 2-3 hp more. Why? I couldn't tell you. BTW, the style thing is truly a personal thing. I get that.

bruce19

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
bruce19 said:
Just to be clear, I wasn't challenging anyone's decision to buy (or just plain like) a PS over a SS. But, given the mechanicals I don't see a $4K difference. I like the PS style but given my riding needs I'd probably buy a SS if it was my only bike. FWIW, on a website I can't recall, the SS was a couple lbs. lighter and made 2-3 hp more. Why? I couldn't tell you. BTW, the style thing is truly a personal thing. I get that.

bruce19
Bruce,

While I like the looks of the PS, etc., I also like my SS1000DS, and that's why I bought it. Personally, I was holding out for a Guzzi MGS/01, but when those got shelved, I went for the SS. It just suits my needs better. Also, my SS + some $$$$ will give me more of what I want than the Pauls Smart would (but the reported F1 re-issue would be real close to what I like, as I find the fairing on the PS to be a bit too large).

Tom

·
Registered
98 Posts
PS vs. SS? Better Bike????

bruce19 said:
What makes a Paul Smart Replica a better bike (in any sense) than a SS 1000DS? Especially at $4K more.

bruce19
I realize at this time of year, at least outside of sunny SoCal, we all get a little bit of cabin-fever...

But hey brothers and sisters, who cares which is "better"? The Paul Smart (along with the Sport) are instant classics. Their styling is unique. Some will hate it. Some will love it. It doesn't really matter as long as you're happy with what you are riding.

The fact that the PS1000 LE costs a bunch more shouldn't be a surprise. A side from the top-shelf suspenders, it can't be bought as a regular model.

People spend money for stuff they want. When you enter into the fringe of consumer interests, you'll find people buy things because they want them. It's not necessarily a rational decision. How many truly rational purchases have been made by riders in this forum?

If logic and rationale were primary criteria, we'd shave our heads so we didn't have to comb our hair, we'd paint everything matte black so we wouldn't have to ever wash a bike, and it would most definitely be riding a GSXR1000 we'd be riding because there's probably not a bike on the planet that outperforms the gixxer for 10 big ones...and NOPE, no Zooks in my garage. Just one-of-kind bikes full of character and all are thrilling to ride.

This ain't the place for practicality, conformity, or agreement. That's why we're here...right? -Capt

·
Registered
71 Posts
You guys (and gals) can keep your PS & SS's.
Me? I'm getting the GT!

Nothing wrong with your bikes, it's just that I will get better use out of the GT.

BTW if you look at the holes under the seat on each side of your bike(s), you'll get the idea where the dual shocks are going to mount up for the GT.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I'm with ricky, I wanted the GT as soon as I saw the photos. I just sat on a PS and my body said no way dude. I bought a multistrada since i didn't want to go bikeless until the GT came out. now with 13,000 on the multi and hearing that the GT will not be a limited production bike, I may just stick with the multi. however, i did buy a wrecked ST2 that will end up looking a bit on the classic side when I get it finished.
according to a supermoto site, cast wheels are usually lighter than spoked. SM and dirt bikes use them because they take more abuse. and they look cool to boot! classic bikes need classic wheels. the horsepower difference between the SS and the classics may be due to a difference in airbox volume, but that is just a guess.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
jbcaddy said:
according to a supermoto site, cast wheels are usually lighter than spoked. SM and dirt bikes use them because they take more abuse..
true that Spoked wheels when laced properly can take alot more abuse....but as far as cast wheels being lighter or not....it depends on the hubs and rims and how intersperced the spoke pattern is....and due to the more balanced nature of spoked wheels...there is less of a noticeable weighted gyroscopic effect than cast wheels I think

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
kingcapt said:
But hey brothers and sisters, who cares which is "better"? The Paul Smart (along with the Sport) are instant classics. Their styling is unique. Some will hate it. Some will love it. It doesn't really matter as long as you're happy with what you are riding.
I agree 100%! That was my point in my first post. To me, there is no such thing as a "better" Ducati. There are "different" Ducati's but not better Ducati's. If I had the money I would have one of each. I don't so I will buy what fits my needs best. That's the PS right now. (Is it worth $4,000 more than an SS? Probably not. But if I justified my motorcycles on a rational "worth" basis I probably wouldn't own one.) In a two or three years my "got to have Ducati" might be something else. To me, that's what makes this so much fun - enjoying what you have now and dreaming about what you might get one of these days.

Enjoy whatever you ride!

PS. Spoked wheels are generally heavier than cast wheels but they are usually stronger. (That's an ongoing argument at the BMW GS site.) Me, I just like the way they look.

And we can start another discussion - spoked wheels are harder to clean. ;)

Ducati PS 1000 LE
BMW R1200GS (with spoked wheels)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
geospencer said:
And we can start another discussion - spoked wheels are harder to clean. ;)
baby bottle cleaning brush and some Castrol Super Clean makes that task really easy!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts