Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how did I go about proving how stupid I can be? Good question; picture this. I’m getting off work after being stuck inside all day on one of those beautiful summer, sunny days. Sun is shining, crystal clear blue sky; you get the picture. Anyway I get on my bike and thumb the starter and it comes to life, instantly send a thrill through me right to my very core; I love this bike. Up goes the kickstand and I’m off; heading for the edge of the parking lot and the driveway that leads to freedom. Quick left out of the driveway and I’m rolling on the throttle; GOD I love the way this bike pulls. In a few feet I’m headed into a nice little decreasing radius turn, still in the throttle. Now yes I know my tires are cold and I’m probably pushing a little too hard too soon but it feels sooooooooo good. Then I see it; someone put out a sprinkler and instead of water their yard is doing a much better job of watering the street; okay so much for this line; I start working on changing my line, next thing I know the edge of the road is way close for comfort and then it happens. Can you say target fixation? Why I couldn’t just push the bike over and little harder and ride the damn thing out I don’t know; too damn stupid I guess. Anyway next thing I know I’m in the grass doing about 50 I’m guessing when the front wheel goes out from under me. I low sided my baby for no apparent reason other than my brain wasn’t firing on all cylinders at that moment.

Well long story short; I’m okay; a buddy gave me a ride to get my truck and trailer and I got the bike home. The whole ordeal was over within an hour; other than my broken heart. I still haven’t done a damage assessment but what I do know so far is:
Nose piece is shot, right side fairing has a nice size hole worn through it at the water pump area. Tail piece got torn off but maybe repairable, my rear BST wheel is broken and will need replacement. Bent shifter, broken left clip-on bar and left footpeg, speedometer lens is off but haven’t looked at it yet, and the windshield is toast.
I’ll be looking at it closely as soon as I can bare to and I guess I’ll be posting up a list of needed parts. And yes I’ll get some pictures too. Ride safe guys and don’t get stupid like yours truly. Enjoy your weekend.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Dude, that completely sucks! Very glad you're okay. This kind of thing happens to all of use one time or another.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
I feel for you... I go through a "previous mistakes" checklist before riding. one I do all the time is picturing what it would feel like to fixate on something, and make myself think through turning my head and eyes forcibly back to the road. another is visualizing not chopping the throttle if my rear tire spins up. My biggest one is visualizing my bike broken on the ground because I do something out of ego... that ensures that I drive calmly all day.

Sounds crazy, but if you visualize how you're going to act correctly, then your brain won't make the same mistakes.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Mike!!! Damn dude. Here's bit of info you didn't give the masses here...all your body work AND wheels are CARBON FIBER. Damn! Hope you're okay.
Mark

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
mad said:
Mike!!! Damn dude. Here's bit of info you didn't give the masses here...all your body work is CARBON FIBER. Damn! Hope you're okay.
Mark
Glad you made it out okay. That blows about the $$$ CF fairings. Sounds like you're eating the damage since there is no police report. Im sure if its like here they would have charged you with fail to maintain control so its better to eat it some times.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Sounds like you put alot of heart into your bike. I'd hate to see it all broken if it were me but at least you didn't injure yourself and all that can be fixed in time. Take it easy man.

·
Registered
35 Posts
this may not be the right time to congratulate you, but... congratulations.

so nice to hear someone step up and take the blame for an accident. we all know you did not mean to crash and that if the street had been perfectly groomed for a superbike national you probably could have saved it, but rather than bitch about the sprinkler, wet roads, sun in your eyes, barking dog, etc. you stepped up and admitted you caused the accident.

refreshing and welcome. i am very sorry for your loss, but i appreciate your candor.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thekid said:
this may not be the right time to congratulate you, but... congratulations.

so nice to hear someone step up and take the blame for an accident. we all know you did not mean to crash and that if the street had been perfectly groomed for a superbike national you probably could have saved it, but rather than bitch about the sprinkler, wet roads, sun in your eyes, barking dog, etc. you stepped up and admitted you caused the accident.

refreshing and welcome. i am very sorry for your loss, but i appreciate your candor.
"Mamma says stupid is as stupid does"

100% my fault; my stupidity; ........ I'm not real happy with myself right now; can you tell?

Actually I thought I saw a peice of watermelon and it freaked me out; next thing I knew life went to $hit

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mad said:
Mike!!! Damn dude. Here's bit of info you didn't give the masses here...all your body work AND wheels are CARBON FIBER. Damn! Hope you're okay.
Mark
Thanks for the thought Mark; yeah I'll be buying some carbon Fiber.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not a 998!!!!

Been there, done that. Still pissed at myself to this day and can't seem to let it go. Oh well, nothing a little body work won't cure.

Glad you walked away from it though. What worked (didn't work) as far as your gear went?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Dark_Daddy said:
Glad you made it out okay. That blows about the $$$ CF fairings. Sounds like you're eating the damage since there is no police report. Im sure if its like here they would have charged you with fail to maintain control so its better to eat it some times.
Why would he have to eat it if there is no police report? an insurance claim needs a police report?

Glad you are OK from the spill Rogue. Here's to you getting your bike fixed quickly!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
level7 said:
OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not a 998!!!!

Been there, done that. Still pissed at myself to this day and can't seem to let it go. Oh well, nothing a little body work won't cure.
Glad you walked away from it though. What worked (didn't work) as far as your gear went?
Oh nooooooooooo you don’t get it; I said I proved how STUPID I was; I wasn’t wearing any gear other than my helmet which is quite scared up; yes it saved me. Truth is, is that it is so hot down here that in full gear there is no way I could ride at “in town” speeds. The idea is that it’s a short 10 mile ride back and forth to work and I’m smart (LMAO) enough to take it easy and ride safe. I was lucky enough to go down in the grass; (of course if I didn’t run off into the grass I wouldn’t have gone down, but) so got some burns on my arm and shoulder; nothing to bad; as a matter of fact I’d be riding right now if my bike was healthy.

Heli_Duc-Tech said:
CF and some rear sets...

As always keep an eye out on the classifieds here and ebay...
I still didn’t have the heart to look this weekend; I have the bike stored under a cover on my trailer. I was thinking if I got home at a decent time today I’d go look and see what I cost myself. The carbon fiber is all factory 998R stuff so I’m sure it won’t be cheap; rear sets are no big deal; not sure if I bent the subframe yet; body work and the wheel are going to hurt the most I think.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Like everyone else said at least you are ok. It would hurt a lot worse if you were laid up in the hospital right now.

We have to remember that road conditions change all the time. Just be glad there wasn't a dump truck or something parked there instead of a sprinkler. It could always be worse.

Depending on where you live you don't need a police report to file a claim. I hit a fence once with no police report, got my car fixed. I lowsided a bike once and did the same thing. I would call your insurance and see if you are covered. I'll bet you are.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts