Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

First let me say how lovely this forum has been for me the last couple of months. I just got my licence 3 months ago and wanted to buy a retro bike. First I was looking at the Guzzi V7 but after a couple of test runs I was afraid I would get bored with the low amount of HP. And then I found the Sport Classic series, at first I didn't like the space between the rear wheel and the fender and was turned off but after I test run on the GT1000 I fell in love, the power!!

I bought a black 2009 GT1000 with 10.000 kilometers on it.

I am a small guy an am around 155 pounds so the bike is good for me but not yet perfect...

Currently I have the following mods:

- Oberon Slave Cylinder
- Rizoma Bar end Mirrors
- Aluminium Reservoir caps
- Tail Chop
- Comfort seat
- Wilbers springs in fork
- 14 tooth front sprocket
- Fatduc

Todo:

- Michelin Road Pilot 3
- Wilbers eco line rear shocks

All thanks to this lovely forum!!

Now I have two questions for you all:

1. I am looking for new exhausts but have an option to buy a DP intake filter and DP ECU without the slip ons. Can I use the filter an the DP ECU with the stock exhausts and 02 manipulator?

2. Would the staintunes run with this combo?

3. The fork mod (wilbers springs) is not a huge difference, what would be the next step without "forking" over a bunch of cash for ohlins?

4. What should the next mods be? Do alloy wheels really make that big a difference our should I buy a different bike at this point?

Thank you for all the posts in this great and lively forum, and thank you for reading this!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Lighter wheel/tire combo will make a difference in suspension and handling.
Keep an eye open for an SC1000 owner upgrading and selling the aluminum rims (I just sold mine last week). I cannot believe the difference a few lbs made.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi all!

Now I have two questions for you all:

1. I am looking for new exhausts but have an option to buy a DP intake filter and DP ECU without the slip ons. Can I use the filter an the DP ECU with the stock exhausts and 02 manipulator?

2. Would the staintunes run with this combo?

3. The fork mod (wilbers springs) is not a huge difference, what would be the next step without "forking" over a bunch of cash for ohlins?

4. What should the next mods be? Do alloy wheels really make that big a difference our should I buy a different bike at this point?

Thank you for all the posts in this great and lively forum, and thank you for reading this!
I have Staintunes with the Ducati Euro ECU and Fatduc and it runs fine. This is the setup that Staintune used on their website for their test bike. I don't think the DP ECU will run with the Fatduc as the Fatduc needs the O2 sensor which the DP eliminates.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lighter wheel/tire combo will make a difference in suspension and handling.
Keep an eye open for an SC1000 owner upgrading and selling the aluminum rims (I just sold mine last week). I cannot believe the difference a few lbs made.
Dang! Just missed em! :)

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Ok so if I install the DP ECU and Staintunes I can loose the Fatduc?
you should be able to, unplug sensor and leave them installed or get bungs for the hole. You may have to get the TPS set at dealer after and they could tune a bit to get everything smooth. Might want to look into an intake mod before you take in for TPS and get it tuned up with that for a little more HP gain.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So how dow most people experience a spring upgrade in the stock fork? Mine are Wilbers but I don't really know what to look for, same roads same shake...

Maybe I will feel more enlightened with the rear shocks done?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
The forks have much too much compression damping, you need to change the oil in the compression leg to 2.5 SAE.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
So how dow most people experience a spring upgrade in the stock fork? Mine are Wilbers but I don't really know what to look for, same roads same shake...

Maybe I will feel more enlightened with the rear shocks done?
Keep an eye out one-bay for an adjustable set of Showa's from a Monster s2r or s4, they pop up every once in a while and its a quick direct swap, $4-600 USD. Cartridges are over $1000, Ohlins double that...see how it gets expensive quick. Lighter wheels, off of an SC/PS (direct swap) or better yet a super bike xx9 and a few mods helps the stock suspension as it is able to react better without so much rotating weight running up and down, also makes the bike throw from side to side much quicker.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you should be able to, unplug sensor and leave them installed or get bungs for the hole. You may have to get the TPS set at dealer after and they could tune a bit to get everything smooth. Might want to look into an intake mod before you take in for TPS and get it tuned up with that for a little more HP gain.
The intake mod would be the DP filter form the kit right?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes and even that is a conservative intake gain, nothing like a Wasp or TPO kit.
OK good to know!

Would any of these kits work with the DP ECU or should I be looking for another ECU?

And to my understanding after market exhausts wil work with any ECU / Airfilter combo is this correct?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
The change to 2.5 makes a massive difference, especially if the rebound is then changed for SAE 15.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
especially if the rebound is then changed for SAE 15.
Tanks for the feedback!

If I understand it correctly the SAE 2.5 goes in with the new springs in the fork, but where does the SAE 15 come in?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
The left hand fork leg has compression damping and the right hand leg has rebound damping, so it's easy to adjust each one.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
My 2 cents...

Get the lighter SC alu wheels before you do anything else. Get the most outta those Wilbers.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts