Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm considering trading/selling my SC 1000 S for a Hyper. I'm sure this has been asked before, but...

Here's the deal. Though I love the vintage look of the cafe racer style...I'm 43. It seems no matter how much core strengthening work I do, the reality, is that it takes it's toll on my back and wrists, after long rides. Lol!

So, tell me what you guys like and dislike about your bikes?

I appreciate your honesty.

Thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ok, I'm considering trading/selling my SC 1000 S for a Hyper. I'm sure this has been asked before, but...

Here's the deal. Though I love the vintage look of the cafe racer style...I'm 43. It seems no matter how much core strengthening work I do, the reality, is that it takes it's toll on my back and wrists, after long rides. Lol!

So, tell me what you guys like and dislike about your bikes?

I appreciate your honesty.

Thanks!
I have all kinds of hand issues. Leaning forward at all has been out of the question for me for a while now, so I was bikeless for a few years. The hyper sits you bolt upright... finally, I can ride somewhat comfortably again. That's the big plus for me. Oh, and the sound it makes on the overrun ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mind the tank being smaller?

How about the seat...does it get hot? On my SC, it feels like my leg is on fire at times. Not good in 90 degree weather!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

How about the seat...does it get hot? On my SC, it feels like my leg is on fire at times. Not good in 90 degree weather!
the tank was my biggest issue with the hyper. Partly because of where I live and partly because of the type of riding I want to do. With light mods my bike would do 90miles on a tank of fuel. It would never make 100miles with out running out. But Chris at Cacyclewerk came to the rescue and put out the larger tank... not I can do about 240mile on a tank of fuel.
Past that my complaints are minor... Like the seat gets uncomfortable on long rides and the DP seat isnt much better. I would imagine that soonmore seat options will be avalible till then I can deal with a little sore butt.
Also I put pro taper evo bars on my hyper. They are much lighter than stock so I am thinking about adding a little weight to then to kill out some vibes on long rides as well.
Past that the hyper is very comfortable, I havnt noticed any hot spots or anything like that and I ride mine in 90+ most of the time. Honestly the hyper is about the most versitile bike I have ever owned (mostly sportbikes in the past) and it is for sure the most fun to ride.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I rode mine all last summer with fractured and non-union of the clavicle, and this spring while it healed with a Ti plate and bone graft. I could never have done that with a sport bike or even a bike like yours. Get the comfort seat for longer rides. Heat was only a minor issue with the stock setup in summer traffic, but generally, not in one particular area like your leg. Gas is an issue on trips if the stations are far apart where you plan to ride. I got a GPS to find gas if needed and have had no problems around here in NJ/NY/PA. Wind blast on the highway can get old but riding on the highway gets old anyway.
I did a comfortable 200 mile backroad ride last Sunday just stopping for gas, and have an approx 600 mile overnight planned this weekend. Its a great bike and like was said more versitle than it seems.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
the stock tank is just under 3gl and the cyclewerk tank is 6.4 or something like that.
Memorial Day I did about a 500mile day down in the Texas Big Bend area no issues other than a little bit of the sore but.
I find that the wind isnt really a problem untill I get over 90mph. Right around 85mph it seem like I can just lay on the wind and relax. The Hyper isnt built for top speed though. the whole bike changes at 100mph+ for the worse. Below 85mph it great.

·
Registered
588 Posts

Hey 1troyduc I'm 53 with a long history on sportbikes. In stock trim the hyper will get around 110 miles to reserve - not much less than most rice-rockets I've had.

The stock seat is just a crime. The DP comfort seat suits me perfectly. It turns the bike into a standard bike from the old days. This is the secret of the hyper. The SC bikes look like vintage rides but the hyper captures the soul of vintage racers. Big, loud motor, two wheels, good suspension and brakes and nothing else.

Plus the tanks don't warp like the SCs.

·
Confirmed Addict
295 Posts
I test rode all kinds of stuff, and my wrists were even sore after 30 minutes on the new 1100 Monster. The Hyper is perfect, and also confidence inspiring for a relative newbie.
Like you, I am 43, with two kids, and this keeps me for twisting the throttle all the way and misbehaving on a public road. I do like the power there, when I need it. Ergos are awesome for the non-masochist.

The only thing that is bugging me is the lurchy slow traffic / hard to keep at constant speed throttle issue. I have been doing my own mods and maintenance, but I plan to take it to the dealer for chain, tps, or any other adjustments that might cure the lurchiness.

I am thinking that later down the road....I might get a real vintage cafe racer (vs. neo-classical). But that would be for occasional use.

Best of luck. A longer test ride will erase any doubts in your mind.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I traded my much-loved GT-1000 for hyperducky's Hyper S last year and (last I heard from Debbie), we're both happy with the trade. I've made two comfort-related changes to the Hyper: I replaced the stock bars with lower Pro Tapers and had Bitch'n Stitch'n lower, gel and re-upholster the stock seat. Stock, the Hyper is more upright than the GT and I wanted a slight, forward lean for higher speeds. The 3 seats offered by DP work for some but the two I owned did not work for me.

As for underseat heat, it's not an issue on the Hyper. I noticed it a bit after long runs with the stock underseat exhaust but it was nothing like some Sport Classics. Seems to me that the SC heat issue was the heat sink located under the seat. On the Hyper, the heat sink is in the air flow, above the oil cooler.

Take a test ride. For me, the Hyper is perfect but it's not for everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just recently went through exactly what you're going through. I loved the style of my Sport 1000s. Its one of the most beautiful bikes ever built. And I was actually ok with putting up with some pain to have the pleasure of looking at it. What happened to me was my best friend(who has a 2008 Hyper S) rode to the North Georgia mountains the weekend of the AMA Superbike races at Road Atlanta and then to the races.
I made the mistake of switching bikes with him on a pass from Dahlonega to Suches. It took 10 minutes for me to decide what to do. We went to the race the next day and I saw Paul from NPR Ducati and told him I would see him next week to trade. I got a 2009 black Hyper S with 2 into 1 ti termi, racing cams, and the tank from CA Cycleworks and could not be happier. The Hyper is the most fun I've ever had on a bike and I've had 916s to 996s to monsters and sport classics and the occasional R1 and MV thrown in. It was 1/10 the effort in the mountains as my ohlins equipped Sport 1000s and is a great commuter too. I couldn't be happier with my choice. I encourage you to do the same

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would also recommend the Fabbri wind screen I got from PJs Parts. Over 80mph it takes almost all of the wind off of my chest. Im 6'2" and 175 and the wind blast was an issue for me at these speeds but this screen makes a huge difference and looks good too IMO.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I GREATLY appreciate the feedback and advice from you guys!

Now to have the talk with wifey.

Wish me luck fellas.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey 1troyduc I'm 53 with a long history on sportbikes. In stock trim the hyper will get around 110 miles to reserve - not much less than most rice-rockets I've had.

The stock seat is just a crime. The DP comfort seat suits me perfectly. It turns the bike into a standard bike from the old days. This is the secret of the hyper. The SC bikes look like vintage rides but the hyper captures the soul of vintage racers. Big, loud motor, two wheels, good suspension and brakes and nothing else.

Plus the tanks don't warp like the SCs.
Out of curiosity, what's your height/weight? Ok, you don't even have to answer, but if you're around 5'10"/135lbs like my scrawny self, I'd be interested to know. The stock seat isn't great, but it's not too terrible for me. I'm curious how much an improvement the comfort seat is.

·
Premium Member
12,322 Posts
Out of curiosity, what's your height/weight? Ok, you don't even have to answer, but if you're around 5'10"/135lbs like my scrawny self, I'd be interested to know. The stock seat isn't great, but it's not too terrible for me. I'm curious how much an improvement the comfort seat is.
Save yourself some $ and get the hard stock foam changed for softer foam or gel (I.ve heard the gel gets hot and may have other issues) like Scooters.

·
Confirmed Addict
295 Posts
I am totally into the comfort seat. I had the performance seat, and I could not get used to the position constraints and lack of padding. I do shift around a lot while riding the thing in my urban environment, so it was my first mod. The red stitching sealed the deal...
:)

Save yourself some $ and get the hard stock foam changed for softer foam or gel (I.ve heard the gel gets hot and may have other issues) like Scooters.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would also recommend the Fabbri wind screen I got from PJs Parts. Over 80mph it takes almost all of the wind off of my chest. Im 6'2" and 175 and the wind blast was an issue for me at these speeds but this screen makes a huge difference and looks good too IMO.
Do you have a picture of the wind screen?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Slow speed throttle issues

>The only thing that is bugging me is the lurchy slow traffic / hard to keep at
>constant speed throttle issue.

I've not had constant speed throttle issues, but slow speed throttle response is a little bit of a problem. I've just ordered the G2Ergo throttle tube, which has a slower take-up at throttle opening. I've also ordered the Fat-Duc O2 sensor manipulator, which is also supposed to help. Hopefully, it will work as well for me as all the reviews that I've read.

Paul

·
Premium Member
12,322 Posts
>The only thing that is bugging me is the lurchy slow traffic / hard to keep at
>constant speed throttle issue.

I've not had constant speed throttle issues, but slow speed throttle response is a little bit of a problem. I've just ordered the G2Ergo throttle tube, which has a slower take-up at throttle opening. I've also ordered the Fat-Duc O2 sensor manipulator, which is also supposed to help. Hopefully, it will work as well for me as all the reviews that I've read.

Paul
Have you tried taking some of the free play (slack) from the throttle cables that might help your technique (noy saying it is all you)
And with the seat it is all about personal preference . What is an issue for me might not be an issue for you These things can be worked on to be made better suited for the Individual rider..You get the warm fuzzy feeling when you improve on a great bike...Thats part of the fun of ot all....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts