Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been searching all over and see prices and colors and sizes all different . What is the proper size and sprockets for this model. I seen a green set on eBay for about 60 bucks that would match my rims but I am unsure . Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
What do you consider good quality chains ? There are so many brands available I don’t know anymore. Many of them only have initials as a name, very easy to get them confused. You can read the specs, tensile strength, etc. Can you believe them ? I also notice that even within a chain size some manufacturers rate their chains according to engine size, or rate them for street use or off road. I think they are being deliberately confusing.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Gold-O-Ring-...:QdEAAOSwCU1Yr2E3:sc:USPSPriority!18508!US!-1

Would that work? Does it matter what brand or are all chains just about the same with quality?
for $60 you'd expect it to be total crap, but who knows. give it a whirl, it'll only encourage them.

top line chains are did zvmx, ek zvx/zzz/3d, rk gxw. second line are did vx2, ek srx2/mvxz, rk xso. any of those should work well, but any chain set is only as good as the lube it gets.

i try to use afam sprockets, but they can be hard to get here in australia. otherwise supersprox or pbr. ducati oem tend to be afam or pbr. others like jt.

520 is std size. if you are changing the gearing use a 15 front and go up on the rear. it's a better technical solution, should give a bit better wear if looked after.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just did my 796 (525 std for that) with an RK chain that looks pretty nice for the sub 100 price. Seems like it runs about 106 links so 110 left me room to spare.

I do own a couple of good chain tools and a small right angle grinder for dealing with the old chain. Still, the rivit style master links are always a pain but better than the clip IMO.

Anyone try the newer style bolt on links yet?

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I did. I didn’t like them. DID is what I’d recommend.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Sorry, don’t remember brand. I only found one brand for sale when I bought mine. The nuts don’t stay on, you twist the end of the link off with them. I didn’t trust the end result. DID is the only link I’ve been able to get trustworthy looking spread on the pins, so that’s what I’ll be using from now on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts