Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my friend and I went to a restaurant and this waiter came to serve us and ask what kind of bike we rode. He replied, " Ducks " I laughed alittle because I have never heard anyone call it a Duck. I just thought maybe he pronounced Duc wrong. I then went and looked at some Ducati videos and some of the announcers do call it a Duck. What would most people call a Ducati now a days ? Either way I just dont think I can call my baby a duck :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
We English say Duke, Duck sounds a little silly to me.

The pronunciation of Ducati should be Doo-cati rather than Duck-ati (at least in Italian) but say what you like as long as you ride it...

·
Registered
956 Posts
I heard "duke" as a kid...I say 'duck' and obviously calling my bike dafy duc the word doesn't bother me, but it's definitely something that would have to sit well with you to do that.

It's better than pigeon or shithawk. Duke works for me, but I'm not really into royalty LOL:)

Tomehto, tomahto, I guess...:D

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
In the USA they are commonly called Ducks, but we pronounce the name Duh- cati.

In other parts of the world they are referred to as Dukes. But they pronounce it Doo-cati.

As far as I can tell it pretty much comes down to how Ducati is pronounced in your part of the world. (though I say Doo-cati and refer to them as Ducks...)

EDIT - Apparently I type too slowly

·
Registered
73 Posts
Correct Italian pronunciation is Doo-caah-te.
Therefore Duc = Duke.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Correct Italian pronunciation is Doo-caah-te.
Therefore Duc = Duke.
I always seem to say "Duh-ka-ti" so maybe I should just call mine a "Duh". It would go well with my level of brain power some days...:)

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,072 Posts
I have never heard anyone say "duh-cati". I do however hear "doo-cat-e" from time to time. In my part of the country it's "doo-ka'-tee".

Oh, and they are Ducks :)

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
''duke'' doesn't sit right with me as its confusing with ktm's line.mind you i always use the full ''ducati'' in conversation anyway.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have never heard anyone say "duh-cati". I do however hear "doo-cat-e" from time to time. In my part of the country it's "doo-ka-tee".
Homer Simpson would call it a Dohcati:D

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
''duke'' doesn't sit right with me as its confusing with ktm's line.mind you i always use the full ''ducati'' in conversation anyway.
+1

·
Registered
601 Posts
I've heard Duck, Duke, Doo-cat-ee, Duh-cati, Doo-Ka-Teh.. I give some people crap about it but I know what they all mean. I prefer Pasta-Rocket myself. :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Funny thing is, when I rode other brands it was "nice bike", now everywhere go it's "nice Ducati!". I guess it's a respect thing...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I'm American... I've only ever heard Ducati as "Doo Ca Tee" and Duc as "Dook"... Duck is comical to IMHO. :abduct:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts