Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking about the projector low beam on the ST2/4 models. It has a reflector and a lens/cover in front of it, as does the Multistrada headlight and many automotive.
The 749/999 has a projector high and low beam with no reflector or lens/cover in front of it. Any input into the differences design/function wise, and or effectiveness.
How about Taftonomous, how did his conversion work out?
The HID install I did on the ST2[reflector improvement also] worked out very well so far.
Just looking for input, conversation, possible options, thoughts.

·
Mr Leakered
8,782 Posts
There was discussion somewhere from folks who are strickly opposed to HID installs. They noted that projectors designed for incandescent bulbs were substantially different than those designed for HIDs from the start.

While I agree that HIDs installed in low beam reflector headlights are dangerous, I had the opportunity to sample several cars and bikes now that have HIDs installed behind what were halogen projectors. Coming from the opposite direction on a road, they appear no different than an OEM HID installation.

For this reason, I will be installing a low beam HID on my ST before the short days arrive this Fall. Even if the design is not optimal, it is a definite improvement over the stock setup, which I don't find to be 'deplorable' but could have been much better.

My big question in all this is the beam splitter. I simply hate it in a motorcycle application, HID or not. In the ST's case, it is set too low. When adjusted for decent forward lighting and leaned over lighting, the high beam is pointed mostly toward the sky. For this reason, I'm currently planning to eliminate it for the HID install.

I will point the hot spot more to the ground than now such that the high beam would then be set correctly. This should allow the low beam to be good for folks coming the other way. My big worry is for folks that I am following.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I posted earlier when I did the HID, included some photos of the reflector surrounding the halogen bulb, check it out. had a second one polished, huge difference, consider it.
I think cutting about 1/16th" off the cut off plate would be the way to go. Wish I had done it, but it stills is wourlds better now.

·
Mr Leakered
8,782 Posts
I remember that post. Lots of good info in there. I will look into that. I'm going to be up in the air until I actually get in there, which with the plug-n-play nature of the HID, might be quite a while after.

Have a good one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts