Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got my hands on a really beaten monster this summer. And now i finally remembered to make a project thread about it.

It was originally M600 but at some point someone put a 900cc SS engine to it. Important fact as that significantly lowers the insurance costs :D I actually didnt even see it before buying, it was cheap and i supposed the shape was bad. Oh well it was worse after all... Battery dead. The previous battery had had some heat and because of that it had boiled. So there was rust on the frame, engine etc. The front forks were empty of oil. The gas tank had been welded poorly. Seat skin was broken. And the worst... It had stock silencers.

So the first thing was to order MIVV silencers. Suprisingly Italians actually shipped those within a week :D

Next part was to service the front end. But when i cleaned the front i noticed that the "sliding tubes" were so beat up it was no use trying to fix it. Luckily I had an SS front forks in the garage just collecting dust so i used those. Plus the SS front had two brake discs whereas the monster only had one, being from a 600cc model. Also got a rear wheel matching the SS so i just used those.

And now that i was off to a good start i decided to disassemble the whole bike and get the frame painted. Powdercoated it black this time. Usually i paint the frames red, but i wanted keep all the color options open for the tank and fenders. And of course i did the rear chop for the frame - it had already been done once but someone had welded it back to its original appearance. And whoever did it was definitely not a professional welder.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Meanwhile when the frame was being powdercoated i took the seat to a guy who does small miracles with leather. Only had to wait a week for that so actually got that before the frame! When i picked up the frame i left the rear swing etc to the painter. They were to be painted matt black.

The gas tank went to different painter, who called me back the very next day - telling that the tank had been repaired so badly its not worth painting. It had been repainted so i didn't notice the repair. Anyway, got my hands on another gas tank. That too had a dent but it was way easier to fix. I actually ended up taking both tanks to be fixed as i got a good deal.

Now whats next... This week i started to clean up the engine. First i tried to clean it with just a wire brush but that didnt do much so sandblasting it was. I used black wrinkle paint after that. Hope it sticks, but at least i have two more cans in case it needs repairing.

This week i started putting it all back together. So far no big problems. The rear suspension is at shop getting a service done so have to live without that for a while. Probably getting a new spring just to get rid of the yellow one.

Then I have to decide the color for the gas tanks... Luckily i have two now :D

At the moment im thinking about using 749 masters for clutch and brake, but if i can im going to downgrade the 749 front end which would free a nice couple of Brembo RCS masters. BTW the Ohlins front from the 749 in the first picture is for sale, just not in this forum because of the 25 post rule. Slowly getting there...

Hope you can see the pictures attached! And sorry for the poor language but i guess it's still better than writing in finnish :)

To be continued...

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not much done during the weekend, but i did order a new tail light. Smoked of course.

The exhaust is being a nightmare to get clean.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Nice project. This is what buying a monster is all about, getting to know the bike and having a good time getting it how you want it.

I kind of liked the orange color on the bike as you do not see that color on them much. I have the hardest time picking colors as I do not wast to match every stock bike yet the stock colors always look good.

The seat looks like it came out well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Figured the instrument panel problem! Didnt think it would be so small but its not that bad. At least theres room to add something, like a tachometer or gear indicator. But for now that's good enough.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts