Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Well, dad, I guess you just really like that frame, which I appreciate as it's one of the best designed Ducati superbikes ever.

Some reason you selected the ST4s engine? Don't get me wrong, I like mine, but given its age and the issues of rockers and the over-the-hill-ecu, I wonder why that particular power plant.

Good riding.

Ron

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Super cool! I have a 92 & 93.....but they run to well to do the change over. Man you have your forks slammed low...LOL. What forks are they from? Also, take those ugly blinkers off such a nice looking bike!!!!

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
That is awesome! But, you're probably not *really* done with it... ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, dad, I guess you just really like that frame, which I appreciate as it's one of the best designed Ducati superbikes ever.

Some reason you selected the ST4s engine? Don't get me wrong, I like mine, but given its age and the issues of rockers and the over-the-hill-ecu, I wonder why that particular power plant.

Good riding.

Ron
I knew someone who was going to break his ST4s. I also knew it had a good service record. So I made him a cheeky offer for the whole bike so that I got all the bits that I needed and sold the rest on to cover the cost.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts

Ron
I'm doing the same swap and it is somewhat common.

1. The only significant modification you need to do is drill out the frame for the larger motor mounts.
2. The motor is 996cc and the cases are stronger. You just can't get the displacement out of an 851/888 and a 926 or 984 will be far less reliable. You can also get bigger valves and even bore (or stroke) the 996 for more power if you want, since the ST4S stud spacing is wider.
3. The 996 superbike cases do not accept a dual sided swingarm without serious modification. The ST is plug and play.
4. Any desmoquattro <1000cc is eligible for the Next Generation Superbike racing class. Testastrettas are not.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
That is simply fantastic ducati dad, a beautifully realized project.
Thank you for sharing it with us.
Are you happy with the end result? Does it meet your expectations for the project?

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I'm doing the same swap and it is somewhat common.

1. The only significant modification you need to do is drill out the frame for the larger motor mounts.
2. The motor is 996cc and the cases are stronger. You just can't get the displacement out of an 851/888 and a 926 or 984 will be far less reliable. You can also get bigger valves and even bore (or stroke) the 996 for more power if you want, since the ST4S stud spacing is wider.
3. The 996 superbike cases do not accept a dual sided swingarm without serious modification. The ST is plug and play.
4. Any desmoquattro <1000cc is eligible for the Next Generation Superbike racing class. Testastrettas are not.
Thanks, nine16 - I seriously had no idea about any of this. Intriguing.

I did search the AHRMA (that is the governing body, no?) but couldn't come up with these kind of exceptions to the Ducati 851/888 rule, so I suppose this is an unstated allowable modification.

Anyway, good riding.

Ron

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
It is AHRMA. Don't remember the exact language, but it's something to the effect of "similar outward appearance", etc and means Desmoquattro but not Testastrettas.

Chris Boy, Erv, and a bunch of others are racing them.

Realize that AHRMAs goal is to fill the grid with as many and as diverse machinery as possible; 851/888s, RC30s, OW01s, J/K model ZX-7(R)s, and early GSXRs.

Limited to 888 cc, there aren't a lot of spare motors to go around for racing. Even fewer owners would seriously shorten the lifespan of their cases in order to make them competitive. Ducati could afford to rebuild every race or two and replace them after a few more--not so much for mere mortals. Plus, twins were allowed up to 1000cc back then anyway, even though Ducati hadn't developed the bikes to that full limit.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
It is AHRMA. Don't remember the exact language, but it's something to the effect of "similar outward appearance", etc and means Desmoquattro but not Testastrettas.

Chris Boy, Erv, and a bunch of others are racing them.

Realize that AHRMAs goal is to fill the grid with as many and as diverse machinery as possible; 851/888s, RC30s, OW01s, J/K model ZX-7(R)s, and early GSXRs.

Limited to 888 cc, there aren't a lot of spare motors to go around for racing. Even fewer owners would seriously shorten the lifespan of their cases in order to make them competitive. Ducati could afford to rebuild every race or two and replace them after a few more--not so much for mere mortals. Plus, twins were allowed up to 1000cc back then anyway, even though Ducati hadn't developed the bikes to that full limit.
Nine with the knowledge! Good man, keep schoolin us please?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts