Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to begin my project bike in a few weeks. I'm rather sure I will be building the bike part by part and so have a few questions I need answered before I begin purchasing. I haven't decided what motor to use yet, and may even try to fit a 2V in a superbike frame. I'm posting for questions and ideas.

First my goal. I want the look of the 916 but the handling and finish of a XX9. (i understand things will be very different if i go with a 2V motor) Ideally I would like to have this bike making somewhere between 115-130 RWHP. ( I'd take more but I don't need it) I'm not concerned about discussing specific motors.

1) Will an 05-06 XX9 swing arm fit in a 998 frame?

2) Will an 05-06 XX9 swing arm fit in a 996-748 frame? (with or without minor modifications?)

3) Other than fittings for airbox, fairing, headlight bucket, the horizontal frame support behind the airbox, are there any more differences btw a 999 and 998 frame?

4) Is the 999 frame any lighter than an 998 frame? And is the geometry the same?

5) I assume any XX9 forks fit a 998 frame or a 996/748 frame. Am I wrong?

6) A 999 motor can be made to fit a 916 cooling system? Easily? Or just stick w/ XX9 cooling system as long as it fits in a 998 frame?

7) What are the complications of putting a 2V motor in a 996/998/999 frame? I know each frame is different.

8) Is the weight loss and convenience of a 2V motor worth the power loss?

This is a project bike. It's for fun. Not for practicality and not to be sold.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,880 Posts
Basically you want something that has the power of a 998 and the looks of a 998 with the swingarm of a 998.

Get a 998.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Why would you put a 999 swing arm in a 996/748 frame. One of the hallmarks of the 916 family of bikes is the single sided swingarm. As stated above it sounds like you want a 916 family bike with a 999 motor, that's the 998. Pick one up and modify the hell out of it.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1) i want to build the bike not purchase it. i may consider a salvage of something.

2) 998? The desmo quatro motor sounds better than the any other 4V motor. I would rather have a 996 motor with lightened crank (balanced), lightened flywheel and clutch assembly than a 998 motor. maybe throw in some HC pistons. And i can do most all of the work on the desmo quatros. If i was going to get a testastretta i would rather have something from 05 or 06.

3) swing arm. i'm thinking of not having the single sided are because i want something longer and will not be paying for a magnesium arm. I like the 05-06 swing arms. (I know about the appearances of the single side arm, but i'm just thinking through things right now)

4) Any responses to my frame or 2V questions?

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
2) Will an 05-06 XX9 swing arm fit in a 996-748 frame? (with or without minor modifications?)
3) Other than fittings for airbox, fairing, headlight bucket, the horizontal frame support behind the airbox, are there any more differences btw a 999 and 998 frame
4) Is the 999 frame any lighter than an 998 frame? And is the geometry the same?
6) A 999 motor can be made to fit a 916 cooling system? Easily? Or just stick w/ XX9 cooling system as long as it fits in a 998 frame?
7) What are the complications of putting a 2V motor in a 996/998/999 frame? I know each frame is different.
5) fork dimensions are the same, as are the lower tripple trees,
even the 1098 fork has the very same lower tripple and length.

7) see this thread for some answers:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=67121&page=3

8) i like the idea of a 2V engine in a superbike frame a lot, as others do,
lots of conversions have already been made, you can even buy a very
nice kit at Kämna, let me dig out the link for it, your bike belongs to the
supersport section then.

:cool:

edith has the link, it will well answer your question number 8.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=34945&highlight=demon

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
The bike above seems to be an xx9 bike already, with a desmoduo motor installed. Totally changes the class of the machine because its non-production and highly modified, but VERY kool none the less.

Fit yes, work... I'm not quite sure.
If it barley fits on a 998 frame, I'm gonna say it doesn't fit on a 916 frame because the diameter of the pivot bolt is slightly different. Sure a mill and some hours of labor should take care of it, but if its not perfect...
3) Other than fittings for airbox, fairing, headlight bucket, the horizontal frame support behind the airbox, are there any more differences btw a 999 and 998 frame?
If your using a testastretta, you'll have options. The clam-shell airbox from the 998 will work on any testastretta motor besides the testa-evo (848/1098 etc)
Street bike vs street bike, they should be pretty much the same weight. There is a possibility of xx9 frame being slightly lighter.
The superbike forks are interchangeable. The 916 - 999 share the same style shock. Ohlins require a different triple tree on any bike you get.
Its not super easy to make a testastretta work with a desmoquattro cooling system, though it can be done. You'd have to swap out some of the fittings, but its easily doable.
Well, if you use a desmoquattro frame (748/916/996) the 2v motor will fit, but you won't have an airbox. You'd have to design something for that, but doable.
Nope, not at all. The testastretta's arn't that much heavier, maybe 50lb's.
9) 998? The desmo quatro motor sounds better than the any other 4V motor. I would rather have a 996 motor with lightened crank (balanced), lightened flywheel and clutch assembly than a 998 motor. maybe throw in some HC pistons. And i can do most all of the work on the desmo quatros. If i was going to get a testastretta i would rather have something from 05 or 06.
The desmoquattro motor are somewhat easier to deal with because service and parts are more radially available on the used market. Testastretta parts are a tiny bit more expensive and the electronics to make the testa run properly are also more expensive. But liter per liter, the testa's have considerably more power, especially coming from R heads. The 996 has the largest production porting of any desmoquattro and they only spit out roughly 130rwhp when tuned, where the largest valved testa (non-evo) 999cc unit puts out 150rwhp stock (999R)

10) swing arm. i'm thinking of not having the single sided are because i want something longer and will not be paying for a magnesium arm. I like the 05-06 swing arms. (I know about the appearances of the single side arm, but i'm just thinking through things right now)
Yes, the 05/06 swing arm is a good way to go for gaining those extra mm of length. Its also substantially lighter then the single sided swing arm of the desmoquattro's.

I understand where your going with this... The geometry of using a double sided swing arm on a 916 should be interesting. Fitting is one thing, but how it messes with the dynamics of the machine are going to be interesting. The shock mounting location is slightly different on the 916 as well. Mounting a 916 bike's exhaust with a double sided swing arm, should also be interesting. I don't think you'll have too many problems fabricating solutions to the issues and you will have lots of issues, but as I always ask from everyone starting one of these projects; What's the end result? Do you want this thing to be ridable and perform like a bike out of the show room? Or is this something you're basically going to stare at in your garage and never ride?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
What are you kidding? Your bike is brilliant! :D

double sided swingarm, lots of rear wheel horse power and the look of a 916, have you considered starting with an 05 999 and then fitting up 916 fairing? might be easier/ cheaper solution
Can't do it, the xx9 bikes have a longer front end. You'd have to build your own fairings...

I also assume he wants the double pipe exhaust like the 916 style. I personally think thats what separates the two bikes the most, is how the exhaust is mounted.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was at a bachelor party for the weekend and couldn't post.

First thing I need to answer. Whatever I do build I am going to ride the crap out of. It will be a primary mode of transportation. I just moved back to Austin, Texas so it will also be a weekend fun bike for the hill country also and it will see the track a few times a year.

I'm looking for improved handling. I had a 748 with suspension tuned to my weight. I was pleased with it but would a little more stability out of the new bike. (not that it was unstable) But, since I couldn't use the bike to it's fullest potential before I don't think I really need to be fiddling with the wheel base.

I'm gonna do some graphic work so i can see the bike together with a variation of parts before I make any more decisions on exhaust and swing arm. I want to see what XX9 exhaust would look like on a 916 bike. And the later model swing arm.

I know the testastretta motors I the better motor. I hear they a "bullet proof."I know they are smoother and easier to work on. But, I won't be getting as far as R heads if I did the Strettas. Don't want to deal with removing the heads for shim adjustments. And again, I don't need 150 horses. It would be fun though.

I still need to think about everything am refine my projected costs for each route I could go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts