Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a continuation of a thread I started little while ago. Due to a server change I have lost all the links to the original forum. It is still available for viewing here:

http://mototekcom.nationprotect.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=35

I have spent the last year mainly accumulating parts, but I have started some build up work now and will continue to post my progress here.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ducati project 999 Build-up
Started some work on the dash unit and headlight support. Firstly designed and then cut a template out of aluminum to support the dash.

Followed by grinding the headlight / dash facia flat. (grinding uber expensive magnesium is not fun )

·
Registered
67 Posts
how did you order that from saarland?

Im trying to buy some ti parts and it a pain with the lanuage diff

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
Fillter said:
Here are some sneaky pics of the 999 carbon airbox from Ducati Saarland thanks to Amullo in helping me find this gem.
No problem Dude..
Those guys are pretty good and they do everything "the German way". Which is to say that they have everything VERY buttoned down over there. Everything must be "in order".

Info.
Ducati Saarland is a German company, but i seem to recall that if you call them, there is one or two of them that speak passable English. Just ask the obvios "Do you speak English?"

The 999 CF airbox is priced at €1998 (Over $2000)
http://www.ducatisaarland.de/abc_1.php?id=758

//amullo

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
lastblast said:
is it weight loss or air flow that you would gain from this, how much lighter is it than stock?
More complex then that I´m afraid..

Lighter: Yes.
More Airflow: Yes and no.. The idea behind a bigger airbox (this one has 15 liters instead of the stock 12) is that you have more air in the airbox then before.

The reason for having an airbox AT ALL is to eliminate turbulens/buffeting air near the intakes. Turbulent airflow restricts the amount of air sucked into the intake for each revolution/intake phase of an engine. An airbox eliminates turbulent air, letting the intake manifold suck undisturbed air into the cylinder and increasing both HP and torque. Having a bigger airbox lets more air "calm down", so more air is availble for the engine. Increase in Torque and HP can be expected with use of a bigger airbox, since the engine will have more air availble.

The intake TUBES have the job of supplying, not the engine, but the airbox with a good flow of air. These seem marginally larger on the CF, since the sidewalls are smoother and slightly thinner then stock plastic airbox.

Since the engine uses the most amount of fuel/air when operating at max torque, my guess is that the "feel" is going to be that of increased power during WOT @ max torque and above. Say from ~6000 RPM up to the rev limiter.

Did i muck up the explaination?
Bottom line.. It´ll increase power and torque all through the rev range, but mostly at mid and high RPM´s.

//amullo

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good discription - Resonance is another important factor in airbox design, but I wont go into it as I mainly wanted this airbox for the volume increase and weight saving. the orginal air box is like a huge plastic trash can.

Saarland was great to order from - Just a phone call then an email then a money wire. Wait a few weeks and hey presto, gorgeous carbon airbox.

·
Registered
161 Posts
last blast, put it this way you would be way better off going on a diet and losing a few lbs! lol.. :) usually in my experience things like this "usually" dont make a huge differance. or better yet, not a $2,000 differance. :)

but if i had the money and wanted to buy it, i would...

1 - 20 of 175 Posts