Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

81 - 100 of 322 Posts

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
You'll recall last time I was making a mess of the seat base. After mucking around for much of the day, I finally got it shaped, bogged and re-shaped.
Now ready to be covered in carbon.

I also decided to remove the lip off the Ducati 955 Corsa carbon tail fairing I've got. (This part came from QB Carbon in the UK and is unique in that it has a round hump rather than a relatively flat hump and vents that normal 916 tail fairings have.)

You wont be able to see any of this seat base stuff when the seat is on, but still, it doesn't hurt to have it all looking nice.

I really like Luimoto seats and the other day an 1198 came into the Muzzabikes workshop, so I got all inspired. Having a look at the Luimoto site I see that they make custom seats. Sweeeeeeeeeet!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
What is that kickstand bracket you have there? Custom?
Actually it's a standard alloy bracket, off a later Supersport. The original one was a monstrous chunk of steel, which someone had even welded an extra piece for the third mounting point on. Couldn't believe how heavy it was!

The obvious problem with this part is the face of the Allen Bolt that holds the stand on has more torque resistance than the that of the material the bolt is made of... and the key strips out its' hole. (hence the impact marks on my bolt)

Ducati charge NZ$66.00 for a new one. (Seems the Mafia own a little corner of Borgo Panigale) So natch, I found and ordered a custom alloy one... (See Pic)

And this is the box it came in... room enough for 313 Bolts. :eek: And I wonder why freight costs so much from America!

It's a really nice wee piece though and much lighter than the Ducati one. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
Waiting... waiting...

Speaking of overseas, a month on and I'm still waiting for other bits and pieces: Billet upper triple, carbon muffler tubes. :sleep: Magnecor leads did arrive, yesssss!

The young guy I was hoping would make a carbon hugger for me ("need it in two weeks" I told him) has taken 9 (so far). So I decided to get back in the carbon fibre part making business.

Muzza was away racing this weekend, so I zipped into his shop on Friday to collect my resin and moulds. I needed to buy some new Twill so went to the place you buy it, where some unhelpful old Crone tells me they don't have it, they only get what Auckland sends them, and they don't got none either. MUPPETS!

So, you guessed it, I've ordered some from overseas. :mad:

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Like I said, I'm still patiently waiting for parts, but thought I'd pop in to visit my bike and do some minor things:

I fitted my Magnecor Leads (red - Pic 1) and the clutch/brake lines that had been to Hel and back. I also fitted the new rear brake light switch (a much more svelte piece than the original - Pic 2) and to the front lines a couple of titanium bolts. (Pic 3).

That's pretty much all I can do until my other bits arrive... Have a great week!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I’m STILL waiting for parts to arrive, so have been looking for things to do. My carbon fibre did arrive, albeit folded in a bag and somewhat worse for wear. Having said that they sent me twice what I was expecting so...

...having all this carbon to play with, I decided to make some shiny new moulds (Pic 1) and see if I can’t make a better job than my previous efforts. Unfortunately Polypropolene Plastic only comes in 2.4x1.2m sheets. (Pic 2) Pic 3 is a wooden buck for battery box v2.0 which Rob Carter from Furniture Dimensions, fellow motorcyclist and all round good-guy made for me. Hopefully after some paint and release-wax this will work.

Another thing that has been niggling me is my gloss black fork bottoms so I decided to pull the bike to bits again (Pic 4) so they can be painted satin black, same as the wheels. (Pic 5 - all sanded)

Muzza is building another 2V race-bike with an injected motor, Monster frame, 999 swingarm etc, so he was porting the heads on that and keeping me amused figuring out what need to be machined, sleeved etc.

He was showing me the ‘lightened’ disc he has for it, from the original 900M (Pic 6) - perfect for a race bike he says. Picking it up it IS amazingly light. I think he said 450grams. And thin. Measuring it with the verniers the thickness is 2.2mm. Holy crap! Min thickness should be 3.6mm.

Last pic shows why. Yes, that wafer thin thing on top of the piston is all that’s left of the backing plate for the pad. Some people just don’t deserve Ducatis!

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
This bike is going to be a fantastic ride one of these days!

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Merry Christmas

Have been a bit slack the last couple of weeks, (my box of bits finally arrived on Saturday) but just wanted to send you all Christmas wishes. Hope you all have safe and happy holidays and that your 2013 is better than your 2012.
Merry Christmas everyone!
Hamish

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Merry Christmas.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
With Christmas, waiting for parts and all, I've slacked off a bit. There's stuff I should have done but, for various reasons - all of them excuses, (end of the world etc) - I haven't. Only one reason is a good one (at least you will think so) and it looks like Pic 1. Unfortunately there's about 4,000 reasons why it's a bad idea, but it's not for now anyway... later... maybe...

Back in the real world, typically obsessed, I'd been pestering Muzza to paint my fork bottoms satin black - they were gloss. Anyway, they came out really well and my last day at the shop was putting them back in. (Pic.2)

Other 'other stuff' I was doing included a design proposal for a fairing which might be used on my next Special. I harbour 'secret designs' (pun intended) about getting back into the motorcycle industry in some way or form and intend to buy SolidWorks (3D Software) and start designing stuff, as soon as I have the spare cash. Just don't know if I'd ever make a living out of it, certainly not in New Zealand.

Speaking of NZ, and our DIY culture, and further to Smadden's comment...

P.s I'm waiting with bated breath on how you will incorporate some Number 8 wire into the build?..... It's not Kiwi unless there is some Number 8 somewhere.
...I found some old pics which may amuse you, especially you Smadden. These are from about 7 years ago when I was replacing my Sprag Clutch. Note the "Special Ducati Tool", held together with... you guessed it! My Dad gave me a hand making the "Special Ducati Tool" but he swears there was no Number 8 wire involved, so maybe it too just needed to be "modified". :D

I note there's still plenty of wire still left in the garage, so will find more good uses for it yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Brilliant! That's real kiwiana. Frankenstein is booked for a track day on the 13th of jan, maybe a shakedown before it goes into the crate for the sound of thunder.... Still hoping. I reckon the race number has to be #8 now!

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Brilliant! That's real kiwiana. Frankenstein is booked for a track day on the 13th of jan, maybe a shakedown before it goes into the crate for the sound of thunder.... Still hoping. I reckon the race number has to be #8 now!
Ha ha ha. That's really good. Make it so! And let's hope we don't have to resort to No.8 wire to fix it. :D

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
Remote reservoir problem. SOLVED!

Thanks for that and indeed, Happy New Year!! May it be much better than your 2012!

Okay, a quick update, (while I'm having a Friday night vino), which I was sorta avoiding (the update, not the vino) cos the photos were pretty average. But will post anyway and hopefully can edit after the weekend with some better photos.

Anyway, my bits arrived just before Christmas so I got into the Muzzabikes workshop on Saturday and started fettling.

One of the things that's been really bugging me is where to mount the remote reservoirs. Because my Supermono fairing is so narrow, above the master cylinders was out. I was planning on using Ladybird Reservoir stays, one of which I got from Kurveygirl.com, but even that didn't position them ideally. But, I was tidying my garage and found some old photos of the Ducati 888s from my Britten days and Ducati used to just screw the reservoirs into the upper triple. Which gave me an idea...:think:

My new Speedymoto upper triple has a plate with some threaded holes underneath to screw the ignition barrel into (Pic 1). Seeing as my ignition barrel will go back down between the "V", these weren't being used. So I figured I might use them for reservoir stay mounts, and mount the reservoirs in front of the upper triple. (You can see a cardboard mock-up (ha!) to the left of the triple in Pic 1)

I needed some aluminium and, you may recall, I F-uped my battery box, so I had some spare, already folded. Nice. So, after a bit of time with the hacksaw and the powerfile, I had a couple of mounts (actually 3, I didn't like one, so made another. OCD eh! Pic 2) I wanted to rubber mount them, so I used those rubber NVH buttons that (no longer) sit between the fins in the motor; drilled and filed them to fit.

And I have to admit, it looks pretty damn good! I'm stoked! (Pic 3 is on the bench. Pic 4 and 5, on the bike - after some wedge manufacture and a bit of 'coaxing' with a rubber hammer!) I'm using the standard 30ml Brembo small reservoirs. Pic 5 is a bit blurry but you might be able to see I've used the angled-inlet versions, (which cross over) so the tube doesn't go lower than the master cylinders.

Another job done. :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #98 (Edited)
Meanwhile in the Muzzabikes Batcave...

I love custom bikes and custom Ducatis in particular. If I don't get my BikeEXIF hit for the day, it's worse than no coffee.

I'm very lucky in that Saturday is the day Muzza works on his own projects, not least because I'm allowed to work in his shop, but also because he is quite the wizard in the dark arts of Ducati modification, so I get to learn cool shit!

Alas, even for him, sometimes things go wrong...

A while ago a very sad Ducati Monster 900 came into the shop. This is the same one I showed you the rear caliper from, so it was very sad indeed. Which pisses me off; some people shouldn't be allowed nice toys.

Anyway, Muzza acquired it and - full of vision - decided to create another race-bike special to conquer all before it. Like all good Ducati specials, it's a bitza and has parts from Supersports, Monsters and Superbikes on it, among other things, as well as Muzza's own, reasonably significant, modifications. Most notable is the 999 cast swingarm. I've never seen anyone put a 999 Swingarm in a 2V chassis before and, knowing how he did it, I'm not surprised why! VERY cool stuff though.

Much less cool was the fork situation. He had a guy bore out the triples to take the Superbike forks, and when he tightened the triples up; SNAP! The lower clamps broke on both sides. (Pics 3 and 4. You can see Muzza, looking suitably pissed, through the frame in Pic 4) I initially suggested the shimming material was too soft, but most likely it's an upper triple machining issue. But damn!

I've mentioned that I want to build an 1100 Supersport next, and that I wanted a unique fairing for it. Well this is the bike that fairing will likely go on first. I 'designed' a rough mock up proposal for it (front-on Pic 5).

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nice tread Hamo, makes for some interesting reading. Surely with this self imposed "no wine" diet you've been making hints to, shed time must be increasing exponentially. Keep it coming mate

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)
Thanks Marty, welcome back to the fold. Those Jap bikes were proving to be real trouble magnets, let's hope the 1198 treats you better. :D

The no wine diet is a pisser (pun intended) but still not having got a job, (I'm living on promises) I'm doing without "life's little luxuries": women, coffee and booze were the first to go (in that order).

Plus there's no point in having NZ's lightest Supersport if I'm NZ's fattest Supersport rider. And a Gym membership is cheaper than carbon fibre!

I actually own another Italian bike, it has a naked carbon frame, spoke and post alloy wheels and weighs under 9Kg. It's one of the favourite things in my world (and one which I will NEVER sell.) Here's a pic of it. Best of all you can get thin riding it! Was out for a ride with a mate of mine yesterday and we were doing nearly 50Kph on the straight. With no fairing, no leathers and on tyres that are just 20mm wide, you feel like you're flying!

Attachments

81 - 100 of 322 Posts