Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
10,492 Posts
Whoa there Hoss. :LOL: When I say it bothers me that people sacrifice performance for aesthetics I dont mean full-on speed at any cost, and my comment certainly wasn't pointed at you. When I say performance I mean the bike's ability to do what it is designed to do weather that be touring, racing, cruising, or canyon carving. I'm talking about stuff like choppers that are barely ride-able or stupid dropped baggers with a 30" front wheel or giant tractor tires on a cafe racer. Removing the wings because you don't like them isnt in that league because it really isnt going to hurt performance on a day to day basis. But I still maintain that they serve a purpose just like the wings on many of today's hypercars

I see nothing wrong with adding a block-off plates but why? just because you think it looks funny? I say funny is good especially when it has a real purpose. No, I'm not in love with the design of that bike either but it is unique, and over time its the unique bikes that really stand out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Furthermore, if you look at cars homologated for racing, like the old Group B rally cars, they would include the extra wing splitters and uprights in the trunk of the car and the user could decide if they want to use them or not. What's the opposition to Ducati's doing that? No one every said that a Toyota GT Four All Trac is compromised because you had to add the wing uprights.
To further your point, I just uncrated a V4 Speciale a few months ago and it came with just the riders seat but in a box was extra tail fairings, a rear seat, and passenger pegs, so they're already doing this, just not with the wings, and they should. Or maybe someone will make them.

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
Other than the livery, I'm good with the bike the way it is, and I am ESPECIALLY thankful that Ducati saw fit to fit the V4SL with these...

and NOT these...

The struggle to remain Euro and Japan emission/noise compliant has led to some of the most hideous looking workarounds I've ever seen. I wouldn't care if Ducati threw in a blowjob from a supermodel, there is no fucking way I would own a bike that looked like the 1299SL.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Not sure it's euro emissions it has to comply to with that....
Australia gets euro spec bikes and our 959 Corse comes with the underslung exhaust still, not the side mount Akros like the 1299 SL (which i have never seen before, in pics or in person) that might be an American requirement...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think the side-by-side appearance wasn’t appealing as much as an over/under would be tucked under the tail.
Never been a fan of these newer Akra cans either. No where near as appealing as the stuff Austin Racing or SC Project are making.

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
Not sure it's euro emissions it has to comply to with that....
Australia gets euro spec bikes and our 959 Corse comes with the underslung exhaust still, not the side mount Akros like the 1299 SL (which i have never seen before, in pics or in person) that might be an American requirement...
Trust me... it is. Unless Ducati was able to bring the underslung exhaust into EU4/5 compliancy in the years after its initial release, a 959 for that market would look like this:

The North American Panigale's never had any OEM exhaust other than the underslung conformal.

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
I think the side-by-side appearance wasn’t appealing as much as an over/under would be tucked under the tail.
Never been a fan of these newer Akra cans either. No where near as appealing as the stuff Austin Racing or SC Project are making.
It's not Akrapovic specifically that I dislike... it's that exhaust configuration on the 1299SL, or the original EU4/5 compliant exhaust on the 959. The lines of the Panigale were designed with incorporated silencers in the lower fairings... anything other than that, at least to my eye, looks incongruous.

That being said, I absolutely DO love the look of the SC-T exhaust with the carbon silencer on the Panigale twins... I realize this is somewhat hypocritical, especially in light of what I've been saying for the last few posts, but to my eye at least, this "feels" more purposeful, and less of a workaround.

·
Registered
937 Posts
If you follow WSK the exhaust on the 1299SL is the style that they came up with
on Chaz Davies bike in 2016 it's a not the same but styled to look like it.

"The new system which first went on the bike at a Valencia test this week is designed to make gas flow more efficient, according to people way cleverer than us, and it also gives an entirely different noise too."

“I like the new exhaust, apparently it gives us a bit more power, but we need to keep working on this area,” said Davies."

·
Registered
552 Posts
Trust me... it is. Unless Ducati was able to bring the underslung exhaust into EU4/5 compliancy in the years after its initial release, a 959 for that market would look like this:

The North American Panigale's never had any OEM exhaust other than the underslung conformal.

So how do the Australian delivered Euro spec bikes still have the underslung exhaust on them when delivered new?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts