Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some background info:

I purchased an 1198sp back in 2011. I burned through the first set of tires in about 1500 miles and loved every single one of them. I installed a Termi full 70mm system and a few other goodies. Unfortunately, shortly after that I had a low speed low-side incident in town. The bike was mostly ok - some damaged plastics, clip-on and the rearset took most of the impact - all easily replaceable. Then the other shoe dropped. The right rearset twisted under impact and bent the frame tab, not bad, but enough to crack the paint. Insurance companies generally don't take too well to "frame damage" and they totaled out the bike.

I bought the bike back from the insurance company, repaired the necessary bits and turned the sp into a wicked track bike. Along the way I've upgraded a few parts - Nichols triples, R&T forks, Linear link with the shortened Kyle shock, rearsets, 520 conversion, race pads, RCS Master, ditched the big button/controls, clip-ons, race body work and most recently a PCV with a custom Dyno tune. This is on top of the suite of goodies included in the SP package - Aluminum tank, DP slipper clutch, quick-shifter, DDA, DTC. The bike now has @ 4000 miles and has been meticulously maintained with regular oil changes, valve checks, belt changes etc. Save for the bent tab, the bike is in fantastic condition.

Here’s the kicker – the bike currently has a “non-repair“ title. That’s one step below a salvage title and means that it can never be repaired to the point where it can be re-registered and ridden on the street.

For those of you who don’t know - the 1198 superbikes are beasts. I find that it is far more enjoyable to ride on the track than on the street – you can certainly get more out of it. Or I did. There are definitely times I miss riding the bike on the street and that got me thinking…

I wouldn’t butcher a pristine 1198sp. But this bike now occupies a strange place in regards to value. Yes, it’s technically an 1198sp. But it also has a non-repair title and cannot be ridden on the street, which changes things.

I’ve been thinking about buying a clean titled frame and rebuilding the bike back into its former titled/ registered glory. That’s an option, albeit not very exciting. I’ve also been thinking about buying a clean titled frame and building a distilled one-off street rolling 1198sp naked café beast machine. That does kinda get my blood going.

Or I can leave it as a track bike.

So I’m curious to hear thoughts. What would you guys do?

PS: stablemates are a '06 Sport 1000 and an 1199s.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Bike looks like garbage, you had better sell it to me for cheap... >:)

Looks good though, I'd probably save the cash for another toy and leave this one a track bike!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol! Thanks. Actually you raise another good question - what is the bike worth right now as pictured? Essentially a really well built 1198 track bike.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Are you asking thoughts on; making it a street bike, keeping it, selling it for something else, track only, just selling it?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Primarily converting back to street bike and if so - back to proper "sp" form or something completely different (cafe build).

And also just selling it as is - what it might be worth.

·
Registered
387 Posts
if you already have a sport classic and a 1199S, then you already have a city/street cruiser (sport 1000) and a weekend SBK in the 1199S.

You should keep the 1198SP as a track only because isn't your sport 1000 already a "cafe"? Granted, it doesn't have the 1198 power plant to make it a beast, but do you reeaalllly need that on the street? you already have the 1199S!

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Please don't café it! IMO, too many ducs have already been converted to ugly café projects. My vote is to keep it in it's natural environment - the track.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I like the idea of decent street custom or cafe, but regarding frame status, I will keep it as a track bike.
I have 1098R TB turned on pure track bike and it is really beast. Very hard to use this powerplant on street..
So my choice: sport 1000 excellent cafe bike and 1198s beast for track :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beautiful bike @ Enzo! I absolutely love the bike on the track. It isn't putting out quite as much power as the new super bikes (@ 163 or so), but the torque is incredible.

I feel like I know that the bike will need to stay a track specific tool. The 1199 is fun on the street, but Ducati did water it down for safer and easier riding on the street. It isn't as brutal torque wise as the 1198 bikes and thats what has my attention in regards to a potential cafe version. I'm in LA. We've got canyons, some bigger streets, some tighter stuff, etc etc all easily accessible year round. The sport classic is a blast, but it doesn't have that same kick. @ Four Rings - agreed - there are plenty of cafe projects out there, but I haven't seen too many based on the 1198 bikes.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
You should keep it as a track bike. I am partial to the track, hate L.A.,and wouldn't ride there or around there. This is my opinion with some supporting criteria. So consider them good or bad.

But, you have the 1199. What for? It's lackluster on the streets, and not as fun at the track as your setup 1198. The 1198 may not make the horses of a 1000RR, but who cares. I am at 120HP and pass 1000RRs everywhere but the straits. Skill to power consideration. (I am not bragging, but making a point) I run with guys on 600s that kill current liter bikes at the track. In the track arena you are well setup on the 1198. Keep it and use it for that.

Now, you might hack it up or do something to it to make it street worthy? Go right ahead. It's yours, and if you want to attempt something cool on the 1198, go for it.

What's it worth? More on a site like this with people that know what you have than anywhere else. Though, parting out the nice parts you put on, and putting the OEM back on then selling will probably get you the most money.

In short, I would keep it as a track bike. (biased)

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
agree with above.

i was tempted to say make it a street bike and make the 1199 a track bike but since you like the 98 on the track and the 99 on the street keep it that way and just keep an eye out for a reasonably priced frame so you can put it on the street when you feel like it.

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
I´d have to say..
Make the 1199 a trackbike
Make the 1198 a cool streetbike
Keep the SC fro Café´s

The 1198 might not be as high strung as the 1199, but for sheer looks, I think its alot more Ducati then the Paniagale series.
Some nice SP bodywork, a full 70mm Termi system nickelplated and preferably Öhlins black forks and your gonna get more looks then the Panigale at stops when doing canyons and twisties.
Upside is that the 1198 is still considered "newish, but cool" and its midrange will destroy the 1199 in real world conditions. Thus its the perfect on-road sportsbike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts