Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
November....just in time to put it away for the winter :D. I was thinking of doing the same.....whats the finial cost?

·
Flying Brit
1,829 Posts
Mark built my 1122 - the whole 9 yards and the result is truly astonishing!

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark built my 1122 - the whole 9 yards and the result is truly astonishing![/QUOTE

Well then maybe you can share some before and after results with me?

I am also doing the whole 9 yards on my 1098 S Tricolore. I have DP flywheel. EVR airbox and short velocity stacks and Power Commander already.

I'm interested to see how it'll run after, but I may not be able to ride it with a finish date at the end of November.

·
Flying Brit
1,829 Posts
Mark built my 1122 - the whole 9 yards and the result is truly astonishing![/QUOTE

Well then maybe you can share some before and after results with me?

I am also doing the whole 9 yards on my 1098 S Tricolore. I have DP flywheel. EVR airbox and short velocity stacks and Power Commander already.

I'm interested to see how it'll run after, but I may not be able to ride it with a finish date at the end of November.
I have the EVR , Nemesis and full Corse 63.5mm system with subframe and tail we used a 996RS crank. I don't have a "before" because the before got blown to smithereens at over 120mph going into turn 6 at Road Atlanta while doing battle against four R1s. But I will try to dig out the dyno chart of the "after" based on another motor I sourced afterwards.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well after more research and much debate, I've decided to do drop in Pistals, instead of 106mm.

Anyone want to buy some pistons?

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
You picked up over 17HP over the 1098 used for comparison...but the torque values are askew??? What exactly was done to the engine...just drop ins?

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
The torque values are in NM not in ft lbs.
....Funny I was doing a NM vs lb ft. to figure that out as in another thread he posted 91.8ft.lbs....that's impressive. !68HP is also.
Although I'm skeptical of that number given most 1098dyno results run 145-148hp. I would think just "dropping in" a HC Pistal wouldn't net a huge gain. What was the OP's before dyno run?
I would love to see how this engine runs w/ 106mm bores. Short life but a hoot to own.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
....Funny I was doing a NM vs lb ft. to figure that out as in another thread he posted 91.8ft.lbs....that's impressive. !68HP is also.
Although I'm skeptical of that number given most 1098dyno results run 145-148hp. I would think just "dropping in" a HC Pistal wouldn't net a huge gain. What was the OP's before dyno run?
I would love to see how this engine runs w/ 106mm bores. Short life but a hoot to own.

Well, I saw the torque values the same as you at first. I was thinking, "how the hell did he make 124 ft lbs, and even the before number is high." I had to pause for a sec and look over the graph again. And yes, for a drop in piston this seems like a huge gain. With those kind of numbers you would think Ducati would have done a piston design like this from the start just to have that extra HP. I mean if this is a straight drop-in piston then he has a 1098 with the hp numbers of an 1198.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Well, I saw the torque values the same as you at first. I was thinking, "how the hell did he make 124 ft lbs, and even the before number is high." I had to pause for a sec and look over the graph again. And yes, for a drop in piston this seems like a huge gain. With those kind of numbers you would think Ducati would have done a piston design like this from the start just to have that extra HP. I mean if this is a straight drop-in piston then he has a 1098 with the hp numbers of an 1198.
What threw me off is the HP figure is in standard value....so why would the torque be any different. It's just not enough hot rodding for that gain. I have a 999 and had a BCM 1038cc over bore kit installed w/ S spec cams, porting, valve work...nothing radical, just to clean things up as the testatstretta's heads have excellent flow right out of the box. But all that netted me 21hp.....for a 149/87 value. I honestly believe that my HP/TQ value is high. However, I've seen a dyno that shows a 2003 999 can get 10hp just adding up spec S cams...go figure. Realistically I would think I'm in the mid -low 140s. The shocker was when I added a 54mm full exhaust, binning my slip on. I guess with the larger bore/S cams the exhaust really worked and added some major punch. But then again I've seen 1199 HP numbers as low as 158 and as high as 172! The only consistent HP figures come from the BMW.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Engine was kind of a new venture, as it seems no one has really pursued a build like this(at least not that I could find).

Here are the parts:

Pankl Ti Rods
Pistal 104mm drop in
848 Evo cams
Heads were ported and polished
Competition valve job
Crank lightened and balanced
Complete blueprint of engine
1198 throttle body
Microtec ECU

Mods prior to build:

Full Termi system
Power Commander
Larger EVR Carbon Airbox with large runners
DP lightweight flywheel
DP Clutch with aluminum plates
Ergal belt kit

Bike made 158hp and 88ftlbs tq before the engine rebuild.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Engine was kind of a new venture, as it seems no one has really pursued a build like this(at least not that I could find).

Here are the parts:

Pankl Ti Rods
Pistal 104mm drop in
848 Evo cams
Heads were ported and polished
Competition valve job
Crank lightened and balanced
Complete blueprint of engine
1198 throttle body
Microtec ECU

Mods prior to build:

Full Termi system
Power Commander
Larger EVR Carbon Airbox with large runners
DP lightweight flywheel
DP Clutch with aluminum plates
Ergal belt kit

Bike made 158hp and 88ftlbs tq before the engine rebuild.
Is this a race bike? I did most of what you did to my 999 except I added the 102mm overbore kit and S spec cams.. I had the crank race spec balanced but passed on new rods (Carillo) and crank lightening. FBF suggested just crank balancing if it's doing only street duty. I really couldn't justify another $1000 in that shallow sump engine. Neither addition would give me more HP. No CF air box...I have light weight cam belt rollers, slipper, Nichols flywheel. I was most impressed w/ the crank balancing as it really transformed that engine....super smooth.
My base model 2003 999 was at 129/78 w/ a Termi slip on kit and PCIII. After the bore kit, cams, etc. it had 149/87 w/ a slip. Since I've installed a 54mm full exhaust kit which was well worth it. But I know my 03' 999 before bore kit didn't have 129HP. All that matters is my seat of pants dyno, it's a rocket now for a little twin.
Your better off staying w/ stock bores and investing in the other stuff. That engine should last forever. Really nice components, nice to read what others have done to their twins here....let us know how it runs when you get it back!

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll share my experience, although it won't be until next year when it's warm in Michigan again.

I ended up spending another $1000 on pistons, which wasn't planned for the build. I was really hoping to use the 106mm Pistals, but found that more wear and smoking would be apparent. Boring the case and purchasing 1198 cylinders are also required, so I didn't do it.

I bet the engine would produce more power had I gone that route - bigger valves on 1198 cylinders, plus power from larger diameter pistons. I bet I'd be close to 175hp at the wheel had I'd done that.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I'll share my experience, although it won't be until next year when it's warm in Michigan again.

I ended up spending another $1000 on pistons, which wasn't planned for the build. I was really hoping to use the 106mm Pistals, but found that more wear and smoking would be apparent. Boring the case and purchasing 1198 cylinders are also required, so I didn't do it.

I bet the engine would produce more power had I gone that route - bigger valves on 1198 cylinders, plus power from larger diameter pistons. I bet I'd be close to 175hp at the wheel had I'd done that.
You are better off. Of course that would have been quite an engine. I kind of felt I should have spent the bucks for the rods and crank lightening. But FBF really felt it was a waste of money. Looking back I'm glad I saved the $1000 ++ bucks. I already shelled out $3100 for the install, porting, valve work and mapping labor. I got the BCM kit and S spec cams for one heck of a deal. Then another $3000 when the left main bearing went south...all new bearing throughout, rod bearings, crank balancing, etc. My POS shallow sump is now worth more than a 2003 999's KBB value:D I'm not sure how stressed your engine would be w/ and extra 2mm bore. You spend thousands and in a year or two your engine grenades or needs a complete rebuild a'la Desmosedici. IMO the avenue you took was the correct one and I'll bet that motor runs beyond your expectations. Plus it should be bullet proof as it gets for a twin, when's enough,...enough right?
I'll bet the 1st nice winter day, dry roads you'll be taking it out....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts