Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, can someone please tell the the correct procedure to activate a new/replacement key and eliminate this error (2010 1098 Streetfighter)?

I’m trying to program a replacement key I just bought. the new key is cut correctly and was coded to match the code on the red card that came with my bike. When I try to start the bike with the key the bike wont start. What happens is; the check engine light (yellow) is on when I turn the ignition on with the new key (it is NOT on when I use my original key), and the bike won’t even crank when using the new key (with the original key it cranks and starts fine).

The key supplier (Ducati Parts Unlimited) tells me that this problem is because I need to synch the new key with the bike, using the factory manual instructions. Problem is, there are no instructions in the electronic manual or the owners manual that came with the bike. Also, I've googled and searched and all I found was the correct procedure for a 1098 Superbike, which I tried but doesn’t; work with my 1098 Streefighter: https://youtu.be/x88RGWqA4JA

Help please - what is the correct procedure for our bikes?

Note: Apparently the procedure I need to follow will;
  • Wipe out the memory, in the bike, of the 2 keys that were previously active for the bike.
  • Then It will learn the identity of the two keys that I now have, and then both keys will be able to start the bike.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I’m trying to program a replacement key I just bought. the new key is cut correctly and was coded to match the code on the red card that came with my bike.
This part have been done wrong otherwise you wouldn't have to program key it would work straight away.

The code card doesn't come with the dash. The code is tied with 2 keys, and is basically a checksum of these.

So I suspect (pretty sure actually) that if you use the code to virginize the dash, then code the 2 keys you have now, you won't be able to repeat this procedure down the road as the code will not match anymore.

To start procedure I think you hold "down' button while you key on, should be in the menu.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This part have been done wrong otherwise you wouldn't have to program key it would work straight away.

To start procedure I think you hold "down' button while you key on, should be in the menu.
Thanks Ricko. I sorted it out in the end. Some of what you say is right and some wrong, it seems. Perhaps my clumsy explanation is to blame.

Problem SOLVED, both keys now work as they should

For anyone who needs to know - the process for the Streetfighter 1098 is:

Get a new key, coded and cut to match your red card IGN code (Ducati Parts Unlimited)

1. Insert Key 1 (the old/currently working key)
2. Hold the DOWN button down (and NOT the UP button which the 1098 Superbike video on YouTube incorrectly shows)
3. Turn ign on and "PROG" will display, with 5 zeros
4. Release the DOWN button, then follow the remaining steps in the video (
)

i.e.

5. Press DOWN until the first zero flashes
6. Press DOWN again until the first zero is set to the first number of your red card's code
7. Press UP and the next zero flashes
8. Press DOWN again until the next zero is set to the next number of your red card's code
9. Repeat steps 7-8 until all numbers displayed match the code on your red card
10. Press UP and then the display flashes
11. Ign OFF then back ON, a rapid countdown displays, turn ign OFF before the countdown gets to 0

12. Remove key 1 and insert key 2 (your new 2nd key)
13. Turn ignition ON, a rapid countdown displays, turn ign OFF before the countdown gets to 0
14. Turn ignition ON, and if all went well then a message displays indicating the programming was successful, for both keys
15. Turn ignition OFF.

Now both keys will work correctly 🥳

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Thanks Ricko. I sorted it out in the end. Some of what you say is right and some wrong, it seems. Perhaps my clumsy explanation is to blame.
Out of curiosity, try to enter your code in the dash again? Can you repeat the procedure?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts