Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and am new to the world of Ducati. I recently purchased a gorgeous 2005 Darm Monster 620 with only 3500 miles on it. Ya gotta love when someone buys a bike, barely rides it and still manages to take care of it! :) I was able to get the red key, as well as a black key when I made the purchase, but no code card. The red key works fine, but the black key does not. The black key turns (physically) in the ignition, but the bike won't start up when I hit the starter.

I hit up a local Ducati dealership and they said I need to program the black key, but in spite of my best efforts I haven't found anything in the owners manual to instruct me in this process. Can anyone point me in the right direction on the forum (assuming this topic has come up before)? Looking for help in general. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
38 Posts
You won't find the procedure in the owners manual. It's normally in the service manual that your dealer has. Talk to the service writer/manager he should be able to set you up with the procedure. DO NOT LOSE THE RED KEY!

Get another blank black key and have both programmed so you'll have an extra. Put the red key in a safe. You'll need it to program any black keys. If you lose the red key and your black keys you're SOL.

Now, if anyone has the procedure for a 2001 S4 (no digital readout, just the immobilizer light) I'd love to hear it. My dealers service manual doesn't have it and apparently no one at DNA knows the procedure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am doing my best not to lose red key...

...but do get worried considering that its the one I use right now on a day to day basis.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Also, Ducati sells blank keys that do not have a chip in them. Ensure that what you get as a blank is in the bag and somewhere on it is marked in a way that would lead you to understand that you are getting a blank with the chip!

BTW, I too have been attempting every so often to get my 05 S2R's new spare key to work. Still no luck. The local shop gets info from DNA and we try it and then we try something else. There is another attempt coming after the Indy MotoGP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts