Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I just joined this forum today, I have lurked here as a guest on an off for a few years. Somewhere along the way, somebody posted a listing of 916 production numbers that indicated that 100 were built in 1998 for the US market. I usually tend to believe such lists but I almost never see one of these bikes come up for sale. This gets me to wondering if Ducati ever really sold that many of them, or if that was the original intended sales number and some were left unsold, and perhaps were sold somewhere else. Although the current limited production bikes seem to sell out rather easily, back in 1998 there weren't many bikes in that price range, so maybe they were a harder sell.

Were any 1997 models delivered to the US?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got copies of his books and seen the same numbers, although he does seem to have a mistake or two in the part about the SPS. It just seems that if there were truly 100 of them in the US, I'd think you'd see more for sale than you do. I bought one in 1998 here in Oklahoma and I've never laid eyes on another one.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Sometimes Ducati moved the special production bikes around. For example, 955 SP's, one of the most rare models with just 50 produced, were all sent to the USA. Later, the unsold 20 or 21 were sent back to the UK and Italy to be sold.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's one of the things I was wondering about. I know when I bought mine, people weren't lining up at the door to buy it...

JR

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
Looks like I´m smack dab in the middle then with my #526.

There are atleast 3 -98 916 SPS´s here in Stockholm and the numbers on all 3 are within 10 bikes apart on the tripleclamp badge number.

There is one -97 916SPS aswell. Numberplate in the 300´s i believe. There was one for sale not long ago aswell. Numberplate was under #100.

//amullo

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
I've seen a few for sale over the last year, actually more than you would think based on the numbers. I was surprised some hung out as long as they did before they either sold or the owners decided to keep them. Not a good time to be selling rarer bikes and have high expectations too. I took a closer look at a couple of 916 SPS bikes maybe a year ago or so. I physically inspected one low mile example going for a little over $10K. It was a little rough on the cosmetic side, but a nice bike though. I considered a third bike during that period, a 95 916SP. To be honest I kind of liked the SP bike better than the SPS. I know the latter was a 996, but I think the SP was just as special in my opinion with its motor performance bits and a whopping 131HP. Not bad for a 916, in fact more than the SPS if I'm not mistaken. The SP also had a distinctive exhaust note, it was raw and quite frankly awesome. I was introduced to that sound while on a group ride in the Sierras five years ago. I was at a rest stop when I heard the sound of a Duc heading my way, but the sound of the exhaust was different from other Ducs I've heard. It was something else hearing the sound of the bike going through the gears as it echoed off the canyon walls. Low and behold the rider of the 916SP was Martin from Motowheels. That was my first impression of the SP, needless to say it had a lasting effect on me.

Any of the older Desmoquattro special edition bikes like the SPS and SP bikes would be great to own. They have a special place in the scheme of things. Too bad Ducati didn't promote them better in terms of a nameplate or some other means of identifying them other than that little label on the tail.

You will find more limited production bikes in this geographic market, more than anywhere else because Nor Cal has always been one of Ducatis best selling zones. Its likely owners who might be considering selling their special Ducs are waiting for the market to adjust rather than giving them away. For example theres a 998 Bostrom for sale for $12.5K. Before last year or so I never saw one listed for less than $14K or as high as $18K. I know bikes depreciate but limited edition/replica bikes are slower to react compared to standard models. Maybe the above is the new bar and they will never go back, who knows. I think it was last year when $12K to low $13K was a price thrown around for a good SPS, who knows what the market will allow at this time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to Jeff Nash several weeks ago and he told me that the last one he sold (last year) went for $16K. It was mostly stock and had very low mileage. I tend to think that many collectors put a higher value on unmodified bikes and there aren't very many bikes out there with low miles. I suppose a lot of people have been affected by the economy but all of the wealthy people I know don't seem to have any concerns. I'd say most of them are spending more now than before, taking advantage of deals that they perceive to be out there.

I've never been around an SP but when I bought my SPS I also bought a standard monoposto 916 and put a Termignoni system on it. Even with the pipe, the standard 916 sounded nothing like the SPS and the engine sound (not the exhaust sound) you heard while riding the bikes was quite different. It's hard to describe the difference but there was never a qestion in my mind which was which.

Jeff

·
Registered
381 Posts
There was one close to me, low miles/all original that was listed at $13K. I suspect you could have purchased it for less than that. I only saw the pictures, never saw it in person because I wasn't that interested in it--but it looked like a great example........

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
javadog you are the third 98 SPS I know of. There is one in Chicago and mine in Minneapolis. I know of several 97 SPS' as well, One in Austin and one not running in Mankato, MN.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,880 Posts
I know where #909 is. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
a kid I know got one at a porsche dealership in beverly hills three years ago.
an italian chick called him and all he could realy understand is
"Bubble It".........he's afraid of it so it sits longing for me to roll it out

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
I have #526!! -98 Euro

Sadly i know that #67/150 996SPS/F died a few years back *rip*

//amullo

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,880 Posts
Not sure how I managed to forget about another '98 SPS in Chicago. It's on the wall of a local bar called Player's Club, where our DOC (DRILL) meets every Tuesday.

It even has almost all the same mods as mine, except Marvic magnesiums instead of Marchesini, and unfortunately I don't have the nifty magnesium swingarm of the Player's Club bike...yet.

There's also an 851 racebike, a kart, and tons of motorcycle and Porsche racing memorabilia adorning the walls. The owner is also a lap record holder at Road America (in a Porsche GT2, I believe).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Only had this one for a couple of months. Its been sitting for over 7 years in a living room on stands. I am having a Ducati Tech go through it all and its all in pristine condition...:)

Should be all shined up and ready to ride soon.
Ryan-
I just saw your gorgeous new SPS last week while yakking with Matt at Duc Indy. You humbly forgot to mention the Ferracci 1026 upgrade. Nice find, BTW.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Only had this one for a couple of months. Its been sitting for over 7 years in a living room on stands. I am having a Ducati Tech go through it all and its all in pristine condition...:)

Should be all shined up and ready to ride soon.
We need more pics!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts