Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I need some help finding a thread that detailed installing DP heated grips. I contained a step by step procedure including photo's
I know the search tool is my friend, but I have already tried it to no avail! I have also manually gone through the first 70 pages of the forum today, and yes I think I am now partially blind!
Does anyone recall seeing this?
Thanks for your help,
Gregg

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Where did you buy them?
It seems that if you bought them from the dealer you bought them from they may install them for free if you ask (price includes installation).

The reason I say this is that you need to pull the tank and install the wires and grips BUT you cannot turn them on unless the ECU is told they are installed and this is done by the DDS (Ducati Diagnostic System computer) the dealer has.

See here: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/216-2010-current-2nd-generation-watercooled/133373-installed-heated-grips-no-heat-yet.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Tim,
I know it is involved to install them and the dealer has to activate them once they are installed. I'm pretty sure no dealer in here in the US will install them for free!

I do have to take the bike in to the dealer next week to have the "Popping out of 2nd gear on decel" fixed, I may just have the dealer install the grips then.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Noennui,
I am not trying to talk you out of it. :)

I ordered my heated grips with the bike but they arrived 2 months later. I discussed it with the dealer and they would have installed them but I chose to do it my self just for the experience. i rode to the dealer and they activated them for free in about 5 minutes. Up to you.

In any case, the heated grips are great. Work really well and easy to use.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I installed the heated grips on my bike just last week, they work great.
It is a PITA to get to the wiring harness under the tank, it took me about 2 hours start to finish. Awhile back I posted a how to for adjusting the valves, the steps for tanking your tank off should help. Also check out the pic, the red arrow is where the heated grip connectors are located and they are clearly marked.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/216-201...0407-diy-mts-1200-valve-check-adjustment.html

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
If the price for the grips included the installation, I'm pissed my dealer didn't mention it.
You've got to pull the tank. The plugs are just aft of the shutoff button. It doesn't matter which plug goes to which side. You may have to have the dealer activate them in any case.

·
Registered
86 Posts
this must be a dumb question, but I'd not seeing/reading where these heated grips are controlled from. Is there a switch that comes with the kit?
I read that they have to be activated by the dealer, but where's the on/off control?

PS - would heated grips from a 2013 fit a 2010?

·
Registered
8 Posts
this must be a dumb question, but I'd not seeing/reading where these heated grips are controlled from. Is there a switch that comes with the kit?

I read that they have to be activated by the dealer, but where's the on/off control?

PS - would heated grips from a 2013 fit a 2010?

For my 2014 it is controlled from start button. After started the bike you press Start Button to turn on/off and set the level of the heat.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,415 Posts
That starter button has been used for activating the aftermarket Cruise Control too.
One should set the heated grips first before using the Cruise Control.
Just to add to the confusion...

·
Registered
86 Posts
throttle side heated grip

To keep this thread alive, rather than start a new one, here's another hot grip question for the MTS-nation:

Bought a set of used DP heated grips, and after learning and laughing about how ridiculously this beautiful bike is buttoned together, I've come to the point where I believe that I may have gotten a bad deal on my used heated grips, but not sure.
The main issue is that it appears the housing that contains the red lead wires that go into the hot grip is somehow broken. Without a properly functioning part to compare it with i'm not sure, but I don't see how that housing is supposed to stay anchored in place. Right now that housing, which sits between the inner side of the grip and the actual throttle cable housing, should somehow anchor to the cable housing, so that it can't rotate when you twist the throttle.
I've put it all in place and taken it apart again several times trying to make sense of it, but striking out, so looking for input.
In the pics, you can see what appears to be a larger-than-it-should-be gap between the grip and the wire housing, and in the other pic you can see how the housing can just rotate around on its own, rather than staying in place, properly aligned with the cable housing. It just slides around the handlebar when you twist the throttle, or just on its own if you grab it, like I'm doing in the picture.
Shouldn't there be something that anchors the wire housing so it doesn't rotate?
Any of this make sense?
thx all

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
To keep this thread alive, rather than start a new one, here's another hot grip question for the MTS-nation:

Bought a set of used DP heated grips, and after learning and laughing about how ridiculously this beautiful bike is buttoned together, I've come to the point where I believe that I may have gotten a bad deal on my used heated grips, but not sure.

The main issue is that it appears the housing that contains the red lead wires that go into the hot grip is somehow broken. Without a properly functioning part to compare it with i'm not sure, but I don't see how that housing is supposed to stay anchored in place. Right now that housing, which sits between the inner side of the grip and the actual throttle cable housing, should somehow anchor to the cable housing, so that it can't rotate when you twist the throttle.

I've put it all in place and taken it apart again several times trying to make sense of it, but striking out, so looking for input.

In the pics, you can see what appears to be a larger-than-it-should-be gap between the grip and the wire housing, and in the other pic you can see how the housing can just rotate around on its own, rather than staying in place, properly aligned with the cable housing. It just slides around the handlebar when you twist the throttle, or just on its own if you grab it, like I'm doing in the picture.

Shouldn't there be something that anchors the wire housing so it doesn't rotate?

Any of this make sense?

thx all

I've got the old heated grips, mark 1, and yes they rotate with the throttle. Don't know if the new ones are suppose to

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've got the old heated grips, mark 1, and yes they rotate with the throttle. Don't know if the new ones are suppose to
Interesting, and thanks for that.
The set I bought supposedly came from a 2013 (I have a 2010), so I thought those were the newer type, as the set I saw advertised from a 2011 seemed to have a slightly different arrangement.

The space between that wire housing and the cable housing is very small, so I'm considering trying a couple dabs of silicone adhesive in between the two, to see if it looks ok and if it works.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Looks as though the newer style heated grip wire housing, which I have, somehow interfaces with the throttle cable housing on the newer bikes to keep it from twisting. I eye-balled a 2015 today with that setup. Must be something on the newer cable housing that connects them, like a recessed area that interfaces with a matching dimple, or something like that, though I don't see anything like that on my 2010 cable housing. May try a carefully placed dob or two of silicone between the housings.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,321 Posts
On my '10 the heated grip wire housing was anchored to and rotated with the throttle tube, which I thought was kind of wonky. On my '12 it is definitely anchored to the cable housing, and does not rotate. As I recall, the housing for the heater wires looked the same on both bikes, so who knows which one you have. Regardless, it should be anchored either to the cable housing or the throttle tube, but should not spin freely.

HTH

·
Registered
19 Posts
Found OEM heated grips on Amazon and my local dealer turned them on for $25. I am so stoked to have heat again!!

PS, mine doesn't rotate with the throttle tube.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts