Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike would start and idle fine. Take it on the road and about a 2-5 miles later it would overflow the float and gas will leak through the overflow tube. Then suddenly it will stop for a bit and start overflowing again.

Last night we took the float bowl out and checked for dirt/burrs etc and everything looked good. Put it back together (what a PITA air box). Fired the bike up this morning and everything is good. Take it up on the highway and about 3 miles in, it starts leaking again. Take the exit and it just dies at the light. Took a while to get it started again. Still leaking fuel, I head home. Get off exit and it dies again. No matter what I tried, it would not start. Push start button and nothing happens. Not even an attempt to turn over. All indicator lights are working. battery is an Odyssey and is fully charged and fairly new.

So I pushed the bike 17 city blocks home and parked it. checked under seat fuses and they are all ok.

I'm stumped.

The plunger in the float bowl looked good and not worn. The float looked good too and the spring worked as it should. Carbs are Keihin FCR 39 mm.

What should I look for?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the bike started. The two-pin relay connector (thanks DucatiMike for the tip) under the battery had come loose. Most probably from taking the air box off and on last night. I think the vibration from the road made it completely get disconnected and that's why I couldn't start it again.

The fuel/float issue is still a problem.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have no idea why this would be a problem, unless you had the
bowls off for a jet change and were in there. The float has a small
tab connected to it that pushes on a pin to shut off the gas flow
when the float rises. If the tab gets bent in the wrong direction, it
won't shut the gas off when the bowl is full. HTH.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Check your floats as well. Sometimes they leak and get partially filled with fuel. If it overflowing with fuel, maybe they get stuck in a open position. Check the pins that the float pivots on and make sure the float doesn't get hung up on something. Do both carbs overflow? Is there a return line back to the tank that could be pinched?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts