Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

newly here in form so if I am missing something in my explanation please cut me some slack :wink2:

I have been running in circle trying to fix a "no pressure" in the lever of the clutch of my Ducati Monster 1200s 2015. I was able to fix the "pressure" issues by bleeding the pocket of air that was in my master pump. In my ignorance I thought the issue was in the slave pump (actuator) which I didn't have to replace, but I did. In addition, In my wrong thinking I thought the issue could have been with something that got loose in the (wet) clutch case. Her's my problem, after draining the oil and removing all 10 bolts I have been unable to open the clutch cover. I used a mallet to see if it would help, but with no luck. I think the cover is sealed with liquid gasket and that is making it difficult to open (??). I have seen several video on youtube how relatively easy it is to open the cover, but it's not in my case.

I hope have attached correctly the video and it will help understand the issue. I would be very grateful if anybody has any suggestion to remove the cover. Thank you in advance for your precious time and reply!

Best,
JP998

·
Administrator
12,913 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I wonder if the fly rod bearing is holding on for dear life?

Have you tried prying the case cover? The tools for watch repair are very very useful in situations like this. Also phone case tools are also pretty non marring but allow a mini crow bar in a tight situation.

Rob.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I use a floor scrapping blade held in a vise grip. I carefully place the edge on the part line and tap with a plastic head hammer (in case I miss the blade) Takes very little effort to work it through the sealant. Usually once through I can rotate the blade and tap it along the seam, slicing it as I go. I only have to go about six inches and then the seal works loose around the sides and top.

The blades are about 4 inches wide, and an inch tall. There is no back to the blade like a single edge razor blade. Much thicker than a regular razor blade. Home Depot or flooring store. I’ve tried a chisel edge exact-o blade in the larger size but the length of the floor blade allows you to insert more and more cutting edge once the cut is started. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Quito and Breaddrink,

Thank you for your replies, those are great ideas!! I’ll give it a try today and keep you posted!

Ciao,
Jason

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, i was able to remove the clutch cover. I am over the moon in this moment!!!!!

After your suggestions I got a thin spatula and using gently the mallet I was able to make my way around. One thing to point out is there’s a pin dawel that I you need to be careful not to damage, I think I am ok...

I have attached a few picture to help others in the future with the same problem.

I need some advice on closing the clutch, shall I open a new thread?

Again, thank you all for your help! I feel I am getting closer to be back on my mistress.

Ciao,
Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I have to open a new thread I’ll do so, but I thought of start asking...

1) I am planning on using ThreeBond 1215 liquid gasket to seal the clutch cover. Will this be ok?
2) Should I apply the liquid gasket on the clutch cover side, the engine block, or both?
3) for the bolt I was going to use Loctite 242, will this be ok?
4) how torque should I use to close the bolts? 9Nm?

Thank you guys.

Best,
Jason

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Glad you finally got the cover off...

Bet if you had gotten a heat gun and carefully heated the clutch covers seal over the 10 screw holes then gave it a smack with your rubber mallet it would have come right off...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts