Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Yesterday i tryed to to get the screw off from my rear wheel. I damaged my big 1/2" ratched. Is that normal that i need much over 300 Nm / 221 lbf/ft to get that screw off?

I didnt found something in the forum so i open a new thread.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The last time I removed my back wheel I had trouble too,I did torque it and greased it but it was well stuck,I damaged what I taught was a decent socket (alloy) I bought when I originally needed to remove the wheel,the wheel was off several times but the last time it wouldn't budge,so I bought a stainless version instead and needed a 3/4" bar with a step down and someone sitting on her,now I've torqued it up to 180 Nm and have a mark on the nut and spline to keep an eye on it,it's not moved so far

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
You don't use a ratchet for high torque work. That's what breaker bars are for.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
A good socket made for the job and impact gun works the best.
We've used this tool thousands of times on 1098/1198/MTS1200 and Streetfighters.

CORSE DYNAMICS Wheel Nut Socket: 1098/1198/MTS1200/Streetfighter/Diavel

This socket has a special inner taper. This tool is designedto fit perfectly and not ruin your wheel nuts. The low profile and locator built into the socket keeps the tool from slipping off the nut when tightening and possibly damaging the nut or your wheel.
This can be used on a breaker bar or impact gun.

·
Registered
490 Posts
This tool from motowheels is very similar to the one I bought,quality between this and the alloy one is night and day different! Pay the extra,I bought what I taught was quality and didn't realise there was a better option out there
Yes I forgot to mention your wasting your time and ruining your rachet and possible your hand by using a rachet,my problem was even with a 3ft breaker bar! Anyone have this problem

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,233 Posts
get the electric impact gun at harbor freight or tractor supply store along with "moto's" socket. The impact gun is also very useful come clutch basket time.... best way to deal with it... imho

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Impact wrench with either Moto Wheels' or Speedy Moto's socket to get it off. Don't go cheap.
Tighten with a good torque wrench to 230 Nm or 170 ft/lbs with grease on the axle threads and on the underside of the nut.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have a snap on battery impact gun and a small compressor to no avail,big big bar was the only man for it,I'm a bit puzzled over it,I greased the threads bit not the flat of nut and washer though so maybe,I'll see how it comes off next tyre change with the torque at 180Nm

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
.......,I'll see how it comes off next tyre change with the torque at 180Nm
I believe the torque spec for the rear wheel nuts (both sides) is 230 Nm which is approximately 170 ft/lbs.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I believe the torque spec for the rear wheel nuts (both sides) is 230 Nm which is approximately 170 ft/lbs.
This I've done but then came the problem hence I tried 180Nm,my torque wrench should be in good condition but I may compare it with the one I use in work

1 - 12 of 12 Posts