Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok, so I want to provide an update on my clutch clunking situation. If you recall, there was a noticeable thunk after engaging the clutch in first gear from take off, and this occurred after an oil change.

First, I noticed the brake pads were seriously worn, so I changed them thinking that it could be a braking issue. However, after changing them, bleeding/flushing the brake system, the clunk still remains.

Today, I decided to remove the clutch slave cylinder and guess what I found? A clutch pushrod seal that was completely torn. Could this be the issue? If so, do I need to order a seal specific to this application or can I find a more easily obtainable alternative? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
694 Posts
If you talk about the 2 o-rings on the pushrod any bearing shop can sell you those.

Yes that could be your problem, preventing the pressure plate to return to it's position freely.

TNR advice is good, better to replace oem slave with an Oberon or else.

And as I previously said, it's time for a clutch overhaul, should be done once a year on dry clutch. You could be due for a pressure plate bearing, cleaning plates never hurt, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If you talk about the 2 o-rings on the pushrod any bearing shop can sell you those.

Yes that could be your problem, preventing the pressure plate to return to it's position freely.

TNR advice is good, better to replace oem slave with an Oberon or else.

And as I previously said, it's time for a clutch overhaul, should be done once a year on dry clutch. You could be due for a pressure plate bearing, cleaning plates never hurt, etc.

Thanks guys for the responses. I think I was mistaken about the pushrod o-rings. This o-ring came out as soon as I removed the slave cylinder from the block. I guess this is the o-ring for the slave cylinder itself. Is this correct? Tomorrow, I plan to take out the pushrod, and clean the plates.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I know it has been a while since I have posted, but I finally found the solution to my clunking noise on take off and general gear box sloppiness after oil change.

The rear axle nut had worked its way loose. I tightened it up to spec and no more clunking or sloppiness. In fact, the gear box is extremely smooth and I am now a big fan of Rotella T6.

Thanks again for all who posted, and I hope this thread has benefitted others.

·
Registered
799 Posts
hmm, even though yours is a 998, which has the upgraded eccentric hub spacers (different from 916/996) I'd check the hub for issues. There could be a reason why your rear axle nut came loose.
I had this happen in my 996 and eventually the rear sprocket flange started to eat in to the hub. Luckily I caught it early. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Also make sure if you are talking about wheel side nut you have the axle pins in the correct holes , I have seen under torqued wheels come loose as well as wheels installed in the wrong holes that would torque up but come loose as the new hole crushed under use. If you have not checked the other side be sure to check both on a regular basis, always better safe than sorry.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts