Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I tried searching and I could not find my specific problem.

I have a 2002 Ducati 998 with 34,xxx miles on it. I recently performed an oil (Rotella T6 full synthetic-15w40) and filter change, and had a new rear tire installed (I doubt this has anything to do with the problem, but I thought I would mention it). I initially overfilled the bike with oil, but drained it until it has the appropriate amount,

I have one general problem and two specific problems.

The general problem is the bike seems to be more jerky than normal.

The more specific problems are: 1. When I put the bike in first gear from a stop, it clunks into gear later than it did before the oil change. It ONLY does this in first gear and only from a stop. 2. There is a stutter in second gear at about 6,000 RPMs. It doesn't do this in any other gear.

Any ideas would be most appreciated. I have had the bike for six months and this is the second time I have changed the oil. After the first oil change, I experienced zero issues.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Guys,

I tried searching and I could not find my specific problem.

I have a 2002 Ducati 998 with 34,xxx miles on it. I recently performed an oil (Rotella T6 full synthetic-15w40) and filter change, and had a new rear tire installed (I doubt this has anything to do with the problem, but I thought I would mention it). I initially overfilled the bike with oil, but drained it until it has the appropriate amount,

I have one general problem and two specific problems.

The general problem is the bike seems to be more jerky than normal.

The more specific problems are: 1. When I put the bike in first gear from a stop, it clunks into gear later than it did before the oil change. It ONLY does this in first gear and only from a stop. 2. There is a stutter in second gear at about 6,000 RPMs. It doesn't do this in any other gear.

Any ideas would be most appreciated. I have had the bike for six months and this is the second time I have changed the oil. After the first oil change, I experienced zero issues.

Thanks in advance.
I'd look at your chain for jerkyness...it's probably due for replacement...if the oil is at the right level the rest is probably because your fixated on it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the prompt response. I thought about the chain and lubed it but there was no change. The chain does make sense, but I wonder why the problem showed up only after the oil change.

·
Registered
694 Posts
What do you mean by clunks in gear later? What happens engine off? Can you make a video? Did you disturbed chain tension?

All I can say for now it's not the oil. 70k miles on my 1098, T6 all it's life.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thanks for the prompt response. I thought about the chain and lubed it but there was no change. The chain does make sense, but I wonder why the problem showed up only after the oil change.
No doubt from general paranoia...nothing hurts more than self inflicted "repairs"...but the chain won't wear evenly and you adapt to riding it a certain way as it becomes an issue...under acceleration you might not pick it up...but steady rpm...it's like seams in concrete...every 17ft or so...the clunk being more noticeable could just be because it's fresh cold and full of resistance...and fear that something is wrong...I think you will be ok...meanwhile see if you pull the chain away from the rear sprocket...if you see daylight your probably due...if it can move side to side more than 1/2in...your probably due...cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the chain tension and it seems to be good. I can barely move it away from the rear sprocket and I can't move it side to side very much at all.

Let me see if I can explain the clunking noise better. When coming to a stop, I downshift as normal. When letting out the clutch, the bike starts moving and then it clunks into first gear. Again, it only does this after a complete stop. If I a am approaching a red light and I downshift to first, but then the light turns green, no problems. It is only when I completely stop the bike.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I checked the chain tension and it seems to be good. I can barely move it away from the rear sprocket and I can't move it side to side very much at all.

Let me see if I can explain the clunking noise better. When coming to a stop, I downshift as normal. When letting out the clutch, the bike starts moving and then it clunks into first gear. Again, it only does this after a complete stop. If I a am approaching a red light and I downshift to first, but then the light turns green, no problems. It is only when I completely stop the bike.
Yes what's you describe could be clutch slippage. Take out the clutch pack, sand the plates, clean with brake cleaner and reassemble.

Here is another thought and I hope I am wrong, but is it possible that oil leaked onto the clutch plates?
if you didn't pay attention yes. Could be the small seal at the end of the clutch pushrod also, they make mess when they fail.

drain out the shell and put some good motul in it, see if that helps it pick up the gear.
Are you saying shell is not good? T6 is perfectly fine, see my previous post.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
With the engine off, try finding first from neutral. If it’s difficult then you’ve found your problem. Also, when in first with the engine off see how different it is to push the bike with the clutch in. Clutch drag. This explains why the clunk trying to down shift. Aftermarket lever? Check there is is not to much play before it disengages. Or bleed the clutch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First, thanks for all the helpful posts.

I did bleed the clutch, but it has been raining all day so I haven't been able to take it out to see if there is any change.

If there is no change, then I will do what you have suggested Ricko. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
First, thanks for all the helpful posts.

I did bleed the clutch, but it has been raining all day so I haven't been able to take it out to see if there is any change.

If there is no change, then I will do what you have suggested Ricko. Thanks again.
Do what I said in my post. Check the lever play and if it drags in first. Another easy thing to do in the garage is engine running put in gear while the clutch is in let off the break and see if it creeps forward.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I tried to find neutral from first with the bike off and it was not difficult. I also tried pushing the bike with the clutch pulled in and also, no difficulty. I am now contemplating changing the oil again with Motul or something else. I am not sure what else to do.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
I've run Shell Rotella for diesel engines on my bike. ($12.99 for 4 quarts) The shifting was hardly different. I ran Motul for years until I gave up on the gimmick that only makes me feel better. Though it may, it may, have made the first gear shift smoother.

All of my Ducatis have hit hard up or down on first. Track or street.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So after about an hour ride with some hard accelaration on cornering, the first gear clunk has become less forceful and less frequent. Of course, I wish it would go away completely.

I have only had the bike for a little over 6 months. I dont know what kind of oil the PO used, but he probably didn't give much thought to it. Im not sure if or how this would affect the current performance after switching to Rotella full synthetic.

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
Rock the bike back and forth while in and out of gear, clutch in and clutch out. You may have some problem in the clutch hub or basket. If it was mine I’d pull the clutch apart.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Rock the bike back and forth while in and out of gear, clutch in and clutch out. You may have some problem in the clutch hub or basket. If it was mine I’d pull the clutch apart.
What he said.

Your clutch pushrod may return too slowly. Anyway dry clutch should be serviced once a year or more depending how you use the bike.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts