Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Matte Black SFS
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had the pleasure of riding my SFS through a huge rain storm with flash floods, and the poor bike had to sit outisde in the rain while I was at work. By the time my work day was over, it had stopped raining. While riding, I noticed that my right turn signal kept turning on. I would switch the turn signal off by pressing the cancel button, but it would turn right back on. This problem happened the whole way home.

My qusetion is, has this happened to any of you, or am I the only one who has taken my SFS through torrential downpours (not by choice of course). Also, any suggestions on what to look for potential problems? Thanks for the assistance all!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I got caught in rain for a couple of hours on a sunday ride but haven't had that happen. Sounds like quite an annoyance though.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I live in San Francisco, so I disconnected my turn signals like all the cars here.:rolleyes:

The wettest my bike got was at a bikini bike wash and everything stayed turned on for a while. :D

·
Registered
412 Posts
Just take them off. Turn signals are useless.... by the time you get them turned on your already passed the cars!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Turn signal rain issue

I've been through numerous intense, multi-hour rain storms and had no problems - brutal riding conditions though

·
Bon Vivant
11,117 Posts
You guys have no idea what the op is talking about when he says "torential downpour"!
San Antonio rain storms are insane! Massive walls of water and flash flooding - it's fricken crazy!
It's like standing at the base of Niagara falls!

It's a wonder the bike even runs if the rain is anything like I've experienced down there.

I think I'd take the switch off and blow it out with compressed air or a hair dryer.

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
yea,, it's possible water got into the switch mechanism and was shorting it somehow.. did the issue continue once it was dry?
possibly look into an electrical lubricant,,, while this may not keep the issue from occuring, it Will keep corrosion from the water infiltration from happenin

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Just take them off. Turn signals are useless.... by the time you get them turned on your already passed the cars!
+1.

My SS and LeMans have no such things anymore, and if I could get mirrors for my 999R without them, they'd be gone too.

I like them on my ST2 and sidecar, though.

Tom

·
Registered
465 Posts
The plastic housing with the turn signal switch has some hollow cavities where water could collect and short out the contacts. Just take it off, dry it out, and maybe coat the contacts in some dielectric grease to keep the water off if you get caught again. It's really easy if you have the stock handlebar since the switch housings and mirror clamps have indexing pins that keep them in the same position.

Seems strange that this would happen to you in a rainstorm, but not to me when I wash the bike.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I did find I had a crushed/semi-stripped wire in my original switch group... I changed it for a new one since it was kind of broken in parts from my incident but that wire was crushed at the factory and never shorted.
I wonder if you did an exploratory to see if there is something obvious? Then the grease idea for sure.
Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
2012 Matte Black SFS
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm gonna try and take a look this weekend. Been very busy and haven't had a chance to ride it since the rain!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Been in a torrential, blow-me-off-the-road storm only once and no probs.

But contrary to some other posters, I think turn signals are very useful, esp stopped at traffic lights to get some attention. I always ck my mirror until I've seen the car behind me stop, but if I'm turning, I'll damn sure put my signal on.

J

·
Bon Vivant
11,117 Posts
But contrary to some other posters, I think turn signals are very useful, esp stopped at traffic lights to get some attention. I always ck my mirror until I've seen the car behind me stop, but if I'm turning, I'll damn sure put my signal on.
I'm totally with you on this one! I want to be seen and contrary to the popular trends I don't "remove my reflectors because it's cool".
I like the big "seen from anywhere" signals.
I like my bikes to look cool too, but not to the point where it may keep a ditsy driver from seeing me.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'm totally with you on this one! I want to be seen and contrary to the popular trends I don't "remove my reflectors because it's cool".
I like the big "seen from anywhere" signals.
I like my bikes to look cool too, but not to the point where it may keep a ditsy driver from seeing me.
Me three

1 - 14 of 14 Posts