Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Been driving around with my GT1000 for a month now, and earlier today I rode it in rain for the first time.

After 10 miles of driving I was stopping, and to my surprise I couldn't shift it into neutral. The gear shifter was acting all weird, not shifting as it was suppose to. Like it was locked in a fixed gear. After about a minute of struggling back and forth I finally got it into neutral.

Same thing occured twice before I got home. Now it seems to be working though.

Anyone experienced anything similar? Should I be worried? Would appreciate any input. My knowledge when it comes to Ducati engines is very limited.

PS. I apologize in advance if some of the words regarding the motorcycle in particular is falsely formulated. English is not my native language.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
How many miles on it? When was the last oil change? How old is the fluid in the clutch system?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has 11 000 km on it, which translates into about ~7000 miles. In other words first real service is almost due.

Oil was changed last fall, and it has only been driven 2500 km since.

To be honest I have no idea about the clutch fluid. The level of it seems fine, but don't know if it has been changed, ever.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
It has 11 000 km on it, which translates into about ~7000 miles. In other words first real service is almost due.

Oil was changed last fall, and it has only been driven 2500 km since.

To be honest I have no idea about the clutch fluid. The level of it seems fine, but don't know if it has been changed, ever.
You have a wet clutch which uses the engine oil...it doesn't have separate clutch oil. However, you may want to change the brake/clutch master cylinder fluid. Also, take a close look at your shift rod and adjust it if necessary. When the bike is in neutral the shift rod arm attached to the splined shaft coming out of the engine case should be pointing straight down to one notch back (slightly pointing toward the rear. And the shift rod should not show too many screw threads on either end. Our bikes are very finicky with the shift rod adjustment.

If the above items check out, then the shifter fork may be out of alignment inside the stator side cover above the sprocket cover. If you're not mechanically-inclined, bring it to a Duc mechanic to check it out.

Good Luck!

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have a wet clutch which uses the engine oil...it doesn't have separate clutch oil. However, you may want to change the brake/clutch master cylinder fluid. Also, take a close look at your shift rod and adjust it if necessary. When the bike is in neutral the shift rod arm attached to the splined shaft coming out of the engine case should be pointing straight down to one notch back (slightly pointing toward the rear. And the shift rod should not show too many screw threads on either end. Our bikes are very finicky with the shift rod adjustment.

If the above items check out, then the shifter fork may be out of alignment inside the stator side cover above the sprocket cover. If you're not mechanically-inclined, bring it to a Duc mechanic to check it out.

Good Luck!

Tmnstr

Thank you Tmnstr!

I will try check for the things you mention :)

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
You have a wet clutch which uses the engine oil...it doesn't have separate clutch oil. However, you may want to change the brake/clutch master cylinder fluid.
Yes, sorry that's what I meant, the hydraulic fluid that actuates the clutch. Flushing it is literally a 5 minute job if you pick up one of those mightyvac pumps at an auto parts store ($30-40).

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
This only happened in the rain? That tells me that water has got in somewhere. I'm wondering about the clutch pushrod behind the slave cylinder and whether water has got in there, or whether the gearchange linkage joints have seized up.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Oil Change should do wonders.
Just re-read the original post and agree that you should change the oil first/bring it in for service, as RiderJeff indicated.

2500kms and the time indicated since the last oil change could be the main issue. Make sure you use a good synthetic oil (AGIP, Motul, Mobil 1, etc., etc.) in the correct weight, and with the wet clutch rating, for your area. I'm in the southern U.S. and I use AGIP 20w50 4T racing synthetic.

Cheers,

Tmnstr

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had similar symptoms on my GT while in city traffic. Turned out to be a leaking slave cylinder. The OEM cylinder has a seal on the end. Pull in the clutch lever and look for oil dripping from the end of the slave cylinder.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had similar symptoms on my GT while in city traffic. Turned out to be a leaking slave cylinder. The OEM cylinder has a seal on the end. Pull in the clutch lever and look for oil dripping from the end of the slave cylinder.
Okay, will check this if problem appears again.

Checked the clutch for bleeding yesterday, and if I'm not mistaken a small air bubble appeared. I would highly doubt this was the problem, but todays ride went smooth.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts

PS. I apologize in advance if some of the words regarding the motorcycle in particular is falsely formulated. English is not my native language.
Couldn't tell! It's far better than the majority of people on every forum I'm on. Maybe we should send Americans to Sverige (Sweden, right?) to learn English.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts