Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a few questions on where to get a few things.
I've went threw at least 20 pages, and couldent figure it out...

1) Where can you get a 944 kit??? Is this just an over bore bigger piston type thing or is it a stroker type thing???

2) Is there any place that sells a full rebuild kit. IE...gaskets and what not.

·
Registered
733 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
944 is a ****** bore so you'll have to send your barrels off for boring and replating. Some used to do exchange barrels with some dollars, others you used to be able to buy new barrels.

im sure thats got lost in translation somehow :confused:

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Like many of us here, I'll bet he can spell better than he can type.

The "B" key is right next to the "N" key after all...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
944 is a ****** bore so you'll have to send your barrels off for boring and replating. Some used to do exchange barrels with some dollars, others you used to be able to buy new barrels.

JE pistons can be found on USA eBay and http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/catalog/ducati/engine.html or http://www.kaemna.de/cms_en/katalog.htm?&view=artikel&artikel=478 for serious money.

Any other gaskets and what nots you'll have buy separately.
Thanks for the info and name calling guys... lol jk

Ok so this is my first bike, and I have a bit of money to dump into this bike.
I knew that if it was just a bigger bore that there would be boring involved but what is replating??? Is it like honeing???

Thanks again guys.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
as there are no iron cylinder liners in the aluminum ducati cylinders,
they are protected with a pretty tough nikasil ( nickel cadmium silicium )
coating, which needs to be re-done with the over bore.

i'd save the money and buy a second ducati after some time, if your
bike is still running strong that is.

cheers. :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Sorry about that. The word was supposed to be bigger. What is worse is that the Firefox spell checker failed to pick up on it.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
you could just go a set of high compression pistons same size- and say a bit of meney and time for elsewhere ???

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
you could just go a set of high compression pistons same size- and say a bit of meney and time for elsewhere ???
Yeah, @ $330, the JE pistons are a cheap upgrade. If you order them directly from JE, you can get various options like a thermal barrier on the tops, etc.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
thermal barrier ????
Well of course.

"The thermal barrier crown coating is applied to the top of the piston and is designed to reflect heat into the combustion chamber, thereby increasing exhaust gas velocity and greatly improving scavenging potential. The .0015" thick coating can also assist in extending piston life by decreasing the rate of thermal transfer."

14 Posts
Hey guys I have a few questions on where to get a few things.
I've went threw at least 20 pages, and couldent figure it out...

1) Where can you get a 944 kit??? Is this just an over bore bigger piston type thing or is it a stroker type thing???

2) Is there any place that sells a full rebuild kit. IE...gaskets and what not.
talk to lorin tinkle or mark sutton at ducshop.com they just did a complete rebuild of my 95 900ss and i went with the 966 pistons and cylinders (among a lot of other mods). this thing is now a BEAST. the 966 bore is difficult as the cylinder walls may be to thin on your original parts. the guys at ducshop traded mine out for the right ones and took care of it all.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well of course.

"The thermal barrier crown coating is applied to the top of the piston and is designed to reflect heat into the combustion chamber, thereby increasing exhaust gas velocity and greatly improving scavenging potential. The .0015" thick coating can also assist in extending piston life by decreasing the rate of thermal transfer."

Oh, Yeh!, now I get it! :p

·
Registered
322 Posts
the 966 bore is difficult as the cylinder walls may be to thin on your original parts. the guys at ducshop traded mine out for the right ones and took care of it all.[/QUOTE] ok, what are the right ones?

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Ok, so just curious, what does a 944 upgrade from the Ducshop cost?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts