Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I yam what I yam
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried this in the Sport Touring forum and got no response. I searched the ST forum and this one and got zip.

So how 'bout it, anyone here with any experience with the Pro Tune ecu remap kit?

·
Registered
56 Posts
As a matter of fact...

:cool:

Thumbs up to Motowheels.

I just used the protune on my 1198s. It took about 45 minutes start to finish. It's so easy, I couldn't actually believe it was "this simple".

I've been running dual fat-ducs on the duc for a while. I finally scrounged enough to afford a remap so I picked up the protune last week. There was nothing wrong with my fat-ducs, but turning them past about 65-70% set the malfunction light while cruising at highway speeds.

Now, instead of popping & hesitating until about 3800 rpms, I have decent usable power from about 2300 rpms. Not perfect mind you, but pretty darn close. Plus, I can roll on the throttle from 60 without the embarassing 1198 stumble.

Also, I can now start the Duc cold without holding the throttle open :)
Worth it, would do it again.

·
I yam what I yam
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! I spoke to Matt at Motowheels yesterday, he guessed that they had sold about 30 of the kits with no negative feedback. The proceedure sounds so simple, and at half the cost of the DP ecu. I'm glad to hear it worked well for you.

I want...

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Thanks Smurfslayer.

Maybe you can answer some questions that I've been thinking about in relation to the re-flash kit.

I asked these in another thread, but didn't get any answers. If you can provide them, that would be really great!

1) How does it affect the immobilizer?
2) Are the maps that you load, the same as the DP maps, or are they 3rd party?
3) Does it affect any other functions like the rev-limiter / sidestand / fans?
4) Can you re-flash to stock?

·
I yam what I yam
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Smurfslayer.

Maybe you can answer some questions that I've been thinking about in relation to the re-flash kit.

I asked these in another thread, but didn't get any answers. If you can provide them, that would be really great!

While I certainly claim to be NO Smurfslayer maybe I can help here.

I learned that the maps are provided to ProTune by Magneti Marelli, and that depending on your bike's state of tune (pipes, airbox, etc.) may actually be identical to those in the DP ecu. You can remove the updated map and reinstall the stock map at any time. Matt at Motowheels explained that this is truely plug and play, no DDS initialization of the map to your TPS is necessary. You evacuate the stock map from your ecu to the unit then download the upgrade map from the unit to your ecu, and ride off.

I didn't specifically ask about the immobilizer, rev limiter, sidestand or fans. My impression is that these are accomodated in the replacement software or are unaffected.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks Smurfslayer.

Apologies, I must have missed the older thread. I'd been keeping an eye out for data myself for a few weeks.

1: No effect whatsoever on the immobilizer. None that I can determine at all outside the air/fuel, suppression of the O2 sensor readings & exhaust valve initialization.

2: I think that Spensersdad covered this better than I would have.
3: No / no / no, respectively ;-) Doesn't affect traction control either.
4: Yes, you can roll back as you would load the map.

I haven't been to a dyno yet, or done any 'official' testing, but on the Duc you can easily do legitimate seat of the pants testing since the fueling with
O2 sensors is so poor. All fueling below 5k rpms was instantly better on my 1198s + I can start without any throttle manipulation regardless of temperature. I have usable power at about 2500 rpms to redline.

I was stuck behind some slow interstate merger Friday. When they finally got parallel to 95N, I was down to third gear and going slow - maybe 30 mph. I did a quick head check and from about 35 I hit the easy button.

I was aiming to the middle lane but had a clear 3rd lane path so I steered for it. Trouble was, the front wheel wasn't on the ground :D. Realizing I was on an interstate with a lot of cops, I rolled off the easy button & went on my way.

So the remap works like a charm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts