Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I always wondered why people were having trouble getting Pro Taper Henry/Reed bars to fit on their HM's, when they worked perfectly fine on mine...

Well, I figured it out!

Apparently, somewhere along the line, Pro Taper changed the design of the bar! While the key specs are presumably the same - width, rise, and pullback - what they changed was the length of the taper from the fat part of the bar to the skinny part.

On a newer bar I was looking at, the taper is stretched out longer than on my bar, which makes the length of the straight part shorter. My bar has 8-1/2" of straight bar before it bends, while the new one has only about 7-3/4" of straight.

No wonder they don't work!

For reference, I checked a Carmichael bar, and while it's a little bit lower than the Henry/Reed, it appears to have enough of the straight bar to fit all the controls.

I don't know which of the other Pro Taper bars will work, and which ones won't, and there's really no way to tell without physically measuring a bar in person. They don't list the pertinent spec in the charts.

There's another good reason to shop locally, instead of online! ;)

So anyway, mystery solved... :alien:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i always thought the same scott they fit well on my hyper as well..now i have renthall fat bars cr high and they are pretty close to the same feel try to make my hyper somewhat close to my mx bikes.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
So I always wondered why people were having trouble getting Pro Taper Henry/Reed bars to fit on their HM's, when they worked perfectly fine on mine...

Well, I figured it out!

Apparently, somewhere along the line, Pro Taper changed the design of the bar! While the key specs are presumably the same - width, rise, and pullback - what they changed was the length of the taper from the fat part of the bar to the skinny part.

On a newer bar I was looking at, the taper is stretched out longer than on my bar, which makes the length of the straight part shorter. My bar has 8-1/2" of straight bar before it bends, while the new one has only about 7-3/4" of straight.

No wonder they don't work!

For reference, I checked a Carmichael bar, and while it's a little bit lower than the Henry/Reed, it appears to have enough of the straight bar to fit all the controls.

I don't know which of the other Pro Taper bars will work, and which ones won't, and there's really no way to tell without physically measuring a bar in person. They don't list the pertinent spec in the charts.

There's another good reason to shop locally, instead of online! ;)

So anyway, mystery solved... :alien:
So you're saying the Pro taper Carmichael will work? Cool... I want a bar a bit lower too... though do you remember if it it puts my arms/hands more forward as well... I hate the cramped feel I get... especially on the track when I'm trying to get my torse low and inside...

Thanks AZ,

B

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I just mounted the Zeta aluminum "low"motard bars, the bars feel good & everything fits, really nice bars IMHO Aloha Alex

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
I just mounted the Zeta aluminum "low"motard bars, the bars feel good & everything fits, really nice bars IMHO Aloha Alex
Would you mind posting some pics?

Thanks,

B

PS: How long are the bars? 31"?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Would you mind posting some pics?

Thanks,

B

PS: How long are the bars? 31"?
I'll try, but I'm not good with the picture stuff, (old school) :rolleyes:

The stock bars are 31" wide, the Zeta "low"Motard bend bars are 31- 1/2" wide, but feel wider than the 1/2" would suggest. The grips on the stock bars are "in" 3/4" per side from the end of the bar, because of the factory hand guards.
The Zeta low bars are "flatter" than stock and have a more Motocross feel to them. Hope this helps Alex

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
I'll try, but I'm not good with the picture stuff, (old school) :rolleyes:

The stock bars are 31" wide, the Zeta "low"Motard bend bars are 31- 1/2" wide, but feel wider than the 1/2" would suggest. The grips on the stock bars are "in" 3/4" per side from the end of the bar, because of the factory hand guards.
The Zeta low bars are "flatter" than stock and have a more Motocross feel to them. Hope this helps Alex
Will you send me the exact model number/sku? Did you drill anything or just tighten the crap out of everything? Are they straighter than stock? Also, how much lower? I'm trying to lengthen the distance to the bars... long arms! I know I'm asking a ton of questions, but I've been looking for something like this for awhile, and getting close!

b

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
The Ducati Hypermotard Owners Club is glad to offer this Zeta package deal at $165 (or $240 with carbon fiber upgrade) thanks to Forrest at Wheeling Cycle Supply. This package has been carefully customized to perfectly fit the Hypermotard. Remember the stock bar is crap with many holes, and these handguards can clear the longer clutch levers, while shorties are perfect on front brakes.

You just have to contact Forrest at Wheeling Cycle Supply

The Hypermotard package includes

Zeta SX Handlebar "Motard Medium" bend in black
http://www.zeta-racing.com/controls/sx3_bar/index.html

Zeta Armor Handguard, "bent" type, in "black" hard anodized color
http://www.zeta-racing.com/controls/armor/index.html

customized with the long bar clamps

Zeta XC Protectors with turn signals in black
http://www.zeta-racing.com/controls/armor/index.html

in orange and smoke

Here is a slide show of the final product, enjoy.
Will you send me the exact model number/sku? Did you drill anything or just tighten the crap out of everything? Are they straighter than stock? Also, how much lower? I'm trying to lengthen the distance to the bars... long arms! I know I'm asking a ton of questions, but I've been looking for something like this for awhile, and getting close!

b
I used the Motard "low" from the Zeta websight.
I ground off with a dremel tool all the locating "tits" from the controls, so I did not have to drill the bars.
The bars are 1/2" lower & wider when measured at the ends of the bars, the raise is about the same, but the Zeta's are flatter.
You will be slightly forward, lower, & wider, creating a little more room.
Aloha Alex :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
So you're saying the Pro taper Carmichael will work? Cool... I want a bar a bit lower too... though do you remember if it it puts my arms/hands more forward as well... I hate the cramped feel I get... especially on the track when I'm trying to get my torse low and inside...
The Carmichaels worked for me and they do have the added benefit of putting me into a bit more of a forward crouch. With the DP windscreen and these bars, noise and buffeting are reduced noticeably. And, for me, it's also more comfortable. If Pro-Taper has changed their bars recently it's probably worth measuring the new ones though. The ones on my bike were purchased in early 2008. There's enough space for everything, but just barely.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Thanks all... now it's time to make the big decision!

B

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Has anyone found shorter bars that work? I feel the stock bars are too wide. I have cut down my bars on my dirt bikes. Narrow bars would also make lane splitting easier.

thanks
Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just pulled the bars and evrything of my HM yesterday to fit a set of Pro Tapers (I have them on all my mx,rs) and came across this problem. Not enough straight section to mount all the controls/brakes.
Old bars back on. waiting for new mirrors, levers, etc to arrive then i will tackle again. Will have to take bars down to shop and compare lengths.
I find the stock just a bit low. Anybody tried the rizoma risers / stock bars?
Just my luck. Timing is everything.
At least i got the termi,s and evo tech tail chop on.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
The Carmichaels worked for me and they do have the added benefit of putting me into a bit more of a forward crouch. With the DP windscreen and these bars, noise and buffeting are reduced noticeably. And, for me, it's also more comfortable. If Pro-Taper has changed their bars recently it's probably worth measuring the new ones though. The ones on my bike were purchased in early 2008. There's enough space for everything, but just barely.
Mounted the PT Carmichael's (EVO) yesterday. WOW. The fit was perfect, more than enough room for everything and the position is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again for the scoop.

B

·
Registered
94 Posts
I removed the hand guards, push the controls toward the center, installed some dual star mirrors and cut about 3/4 in off each end of the bar - total width is down to 29" with no mirrors sticking out or up - white lining is dramatically improved

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
I lucked out and had a full stock of protapers on display and got to check fit by setting them in the clamps. The Reed bars I tried were too short in the control section to fit. I was looking for something taller and back. I liked the reach & feel of the Raptor but were too up & back for the hoses and looked horrible. I settled for ATV high. I can't buy handlebars from a catalog, they have to look as good as they feel.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The evos are the same bends as the contours. You will likely have fitment issues unless you personally measure them to ensure they are at least 8.5" on the flat section where the grips/controls mount. That's 8.5" minimum. More is better. The Zeta bars from Wheeling Cycle Supply are *just* enough to get everything mounted. I will confirm that the current CR-hi bend from Pro Taper will not work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I will confirm that the current CR-hi bend from Pro Taper will not work.
I did manage to make them work (CR Hi) but it wasn't the 'best' senario. The clutch side was ok but the throttle side required a little effort. You probably would never notice he issue lookin at my bike though. I like the bend so much I kept them though I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I installed the Pro-Taper EVO RC bars on the Hyper I am working on. The stock controls look to have plenty of room. I have not had much time on the stock bars, but the RC's feel pretty good.

Here are some pics for reference. I also just put on the Acerbis Dual Road guards.

-Eric

1 - 20 of 30 Posts