Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone had to make the move .. here's the scoop:

We will organize anywhere from 4 and up track days at the new track in Reno this year. The word is Reno still has open weekend days for taking. THE NUMBER OF DAYS WE WILL BOOK WILL DEPEND ON THE NUMBER OF DEDICATED PEOPLE WE CAN COUNT ON. Definition of dedicated: will put out some money upfront which they will (probably) loose if they don't make it to the track.

Martin (motowheels) was generous enough to offer to sponsor these events if there is enough interest and other people step up and help with organizing and getting other riders to show up. UNLIKE other organized track days we are not looking to make any $$ off of you. Therefore, getting more people to come will not only ensure that we continue doing this, but it will also drop the cost for you and your friends. Here's the math:

Track day ~ $4,000/day (20 riders and under)
20 riders ~ $200/person
40 riders ~ $150/person (It will require more corner guards and ambulance trucks to pay for, so the day is more expensive.)

$150 for a private open track day is a great deal. For anyone that never did a private day - it is the most fun you will ever have on your bike - even if you crash, you'll be among friends to help you get home, get you beers to drink while we finish the day, maybe some good drugs and certainly make fun of you after we stop feeling bad and know that you are okay.

Getting 20 DEDICATED people (on and off this board) will get the ball rolling. I need a "show" of hands. Post your questions, comments, remarks. Let us know how many days you can sign up for up-front. We need to act fast before all the good days are booked. We'll give you one week to ponder and reply, then we are making reservations.

Riders that step up now will not only have priority, but will also be the ones to share any left over $$ after all the dues are paid and drop the cost for themselves even further.

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
Track days

Jovan,
We are on the same wave length, but not on the same page yet. PM me your email address so I can CC you my emails to Reno/Fernly. Martin is in the loop in terms of the emails too. I asked them about open track days based on what I saw on their calender and they responded back that there were few openings and they were around the same time as MotoGP and some other time in Oct. They also tried to push me towards one of the organized track day companies. I told them I represented the Sacramento Ducati Club and we didn't want to go out there with 100 riders, we wanted 20-25 riders. Most of us have done the traditional track day and the private track day, we prefer by a long shot the latter. I'm waiting for their response back to see if by some miracle a weekend slot opens up. I kind of jammed him up a little due to the fact he kind of treated me like I was a novice. I should have started looking earlier in the year, the days fill up fast. I'll check with the other tracks and see what happens, maybe we can get on with a cancellation.

·
Registered
311 Posts
yo...

I'm game for open trackdays wherever, whenever.

On another note, I read somewhere that RF was having issues with the pavement on the new section and they were looking to repave (yes, again) and that the track isn't expected to open until the spring. So, that might be worth looking into.

That's all I know (well, about that anyway).

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Word!

Sorry John , I've been out of touch with Martin for almost 24 hours now.

Still .. what I wrote stands. Let me know who's in (like 1999r1nomore did) and as you can see people are already working on it. Regardless of where we are with booking the dates we need to know how many interested. Even if make it out on weekdays to T-hill or Reno, WE ARE doing something this year (and more next year), so lets make it cheap for everyone.

John has really nothing to do but bug these people and (let me tell you) if he's on you, you will sooner or later say "goddamnit, FINE - HAVE IT!"
Dude can't even ride and he's on it already. See what I'm saying - we have people here that define the word "enthusiasts." We're in it for that grin under the helmet, so give us a hand (or I'll have John call you.) :D

(I'm almost drunk enough to write the Reeves saga.)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh .. it's past 10 .. John is in bed already ..

John, Vinnie and everyone else, I'm planning on going to motowheels w/ my credit card in the AM and installing parts the rest of the day tomorrow. If anyone wants to come over, sip beers and watch me get greasy, come over. Shit, enough people and I'll throw a party. PM me for addy (a mile from Bradshaw & 50)

(hey scott .. sorry, pg-13 not working out ;)

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
Track day recruitment

Bombash said:
Oh .. it's past 10 .. John is in bed already ..

John, Vinnie and everyone else, I'm planning on going to motowheels w/ my credit card in the AM and installing parts the rest of the day tomorrow. If anyone wants to come over, sip beers and watch me get greasy, come over. Shit, enough people and I'll throw a party. PM me for addy (a mile from Bradshaw & 50)

Hahaha, heard about your adventure to Motowheels last night, I wanted to go but I have a "prior engagement" crap event whatever. PM me your address anyway, maybe I can come by later.

I've come to the conclusion we may have to roll the dice on the track day in terms of those expressing an interest in going and ponying up right away. Why? we have to finalize a day and getting one of those isn't easy this stage of the game. I think we are good enough to recruit as many riders as we need once we settle on a date, especially if its a weekend day. Didn't Martin say he will front the money anyway? So, what worry do we have, LOL. I have every confidence we will find enough riders. Lets say we come up a little shy, we can always get on a bullhorn Thursday night at Jamba Juice and yell "calling all squids, calling all squids" Something like that?

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Ugh...Thanks John. Writing that check was a lot easier before the move...I guess I better help you get some riders then...

I have a group of 10 riders from Southern California that are interested in T Hill dates. I'll let them know about Reno or anywhere you can get any dates.
They have a track transport/prep company that they use to bring bikes to the track for them--so if anyone is on southern california and needs a ride, please conact me and I'll get you hooked up with transport/track prep guy.

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
Track day schedule

I'm waiting for a reply from Reno/Fernly. I emailed both Infineon and THill asking about financials, etc. Calender at Infineon shows an open date for 6/28/05 Wed. Calender at THill shows open weekday slots on 7/5/05 Wed, Sept 5 Tues, Sept 20 Wed, Oct 10, 11, 12 Tues, Wed, Thurs.

I'm actually surprised the Infineon date is open, must be a cancellation. That would be my choice if I were riding. However, that venue will probably be more money but getting 10 or so more riders to defer that shouldn't be a problem. After all, didn't Martin say he already had 10 Monster riders ready to rock? Otherwise, we have the dates at THill. It gets real hot up there in the summer, I'm leaning towards late Sept, the 20th.

I hope to hear from Reno/Fernly soon, unless the manager there thinks I insulted him in my last email.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I haven't asked the Monster group yet. The group in from southern California are Willow Springs and Fontana regulars. One of them bought the NCR Millona.

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
Talked to manager of track ops at Reno-Fernley Raceway. Oct 21-22 is open, which is a weekend slot. We can rent either day. Weather that time of year should be OK, catching the last part of "Indian Summer". Otherwise, there are weekday slots open during the riding season, but going up there in the middle of Summer is not advisable, just like Thill. The 4 plus mile road coarse will be open and its pretty spectacular, check it out on their website at: www.reno-fernleyraceway.com.

As I mentioned in earlier email report, there is several weekday openings at Thill, Sept 20 Wed being a good date in terms of weather, etc.

I'm waiting on a return call from Infineon. They did have an opening June 28 Wed., but I don't know if this is still available.

OK, who wants to chime in? We need to move fast on any dates, they fill up fast, especially that weekend slot in Reno.

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
Supplemental info

SUPPLEMENTAL INFO:

Infineon is out for the simple reason they are booked and the only thing available is in the dead of Winter. Once you establish yourself then you can move up in the schedule as years go by.

OK, what will it be, Oct 21 SATURDAY at Reno-Fernley or Sept 20 WEDNESDAY at Thunderhill or Both? Or, a weekday earlier in the year at Reno-Fernley.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see lots of other open dates on Reno website .. are they really open John?

I'm for going to Reno for the whole weekend. Since we're already trucking there. So-Cal guys would be better off too. If they have someone to ship their bikes, plane tickets to Reno are cheap.
If picking one day, I'm for T-Hill. Close by.

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
Private Trackday Update

The ball is rolling on both dates and venues. Sept 20 Wednesday at Thill and both weekend (thats right, weekend) days at Reno-Fernley's new 4 plus mile road corse Oct 21 and 22. The contracts are here or enroute.

I would like to see minimum 25 riders at Thill and 40 riders at Reno-Fernley. I'll shoot my mouth off on some guestimate prices but its around $180 for one track day at Thill with 25 riders and $285 with 40 riders for both weekend days at Reno-Fernley. That will be about $142 per day. If we set the minimum of 30 riders at Reno then its $190 per day. Not to shabby. Reno will be fun in terms of the venue being where it is. Is there nightlife in Willows?

I will be looking into costs to bring lunch and drinks to the tracks and some kind of raffle for a chance to win the track day or days. I suppose we can contribute $7 apiece in Reno and throw numbers in a hat for a chance to win a freebie. Not bad odds for 7 bucks. Same amount would work with Thill as well.

As stated in many previous posts, private track days are the bomb in my opinion. Very laid back and not anyone else's schedule but your own. Perfect for those who feel intimidated otherwise with the 100 plus riders in organized trackdays. With only 25 to 40 riders, depending on the venue, its like having the whole race track to yourself. Come and go as you please and no time pressures. You can practice all the moves on the track and take that knowledge to the streets. Doing a private track day spoils you. Enough said.

We will have the means to accept $100 deposits via paypal or credit card, we might even set up a website for this specific purpose in order to facilitate these events for this year and beyond.

Myself, Jovan and Martin have teamed up on this effort, we have been talking about doing something like this for a long time. You will not regret participating.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts