Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gang - I plan on getting both at some point, but money being tight I'm wondering which would you guys consider the priority?

I know all about the advantages of the Fat Duc, but since I'm happy overall with my GT's performance, I don't feel it's essential. Just would be nice to smooth it out some down low.

On the other hand, since getting back into riding recently I've become an ATGATT kind of guy but have just been using my $80 Timberlands. I'm wondering if those of you who've had the misfortune of going down at a fair rate of speed feel that cycle boots helped prevent or reduce a foot\ankle injury, or if you weren't wearing them, do you think they would have?

By the way, most of my riding is an approximately 30 mile round trip freeway commute with the rest being errands and the occasional 1-2 hour pleasure ride. The boots I'm most interested in are the Joe Rocket Big Bangs, as I decided if I am going to get boots I should get 3/4 height rather than the lower cut ones that just barely cover the ankles. For $100, they look like they offer good protection and have gotten pretty favorable user reviews.

As always, I appreciate your input!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I would probably say that safety is more important and weighs heavier than comfort. I use Sidi boots on the track, and alpinestars above the ankle summer shoes. I wouldn't ride without them. Of course, after having these, I got the O2 manipulator...
IMO, safety goes first...

~k

·
Registered
238 Posts
Once, after getting rear ended on the freeway by a drunk driver, the EMT noticed that my shredded boot was about to fall off without human intervention. My foot was wedged between the bike and the pavement for about 150ft. He slowly undid the clasp fully expecting to find my foot resembling ground beef. Only a minor scratch was there... so I vote for boots. My Sidi Vertebras are still holding strong after 9 years.

·
Registered
300 Posts
IMO: Get the boots first. I never ride without my helmet, Gloves, Jacket Long pants and Boots.

Regarding the Big Bangs, I like JR stuff, I use it exclusively for my gloves, jacket, and pants, as I think they make great fitting stuff for a great price. But, the Big Bangs will not offer that much more protection compared to your Timberlands. I wear moto boots for ankle protection. Some of the best boots for ankle protection are TCX, Dainese, and Sidi Vertigo (what I have). If you are only worried about abrasion resistance then your Tim's are fine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Listen to these guys. Boots will last you through many bikes to come.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
boots for sure.

if you want something that's more inconspicuous than track boots, I recommend the dainese quito. Unfortunately I got to crash-test them, and they did their job very well.

but not ideal for the track... the Sidi mentioned above are a much better fit for that.

·
Registered
846 Posts
+1 on the boots.

i have sidi vertigos and love them. also, the new puma boots are supposed to be fantastic.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I guess the real question would be: "How important is walking to you?"

I had a crash wearing safety boots from work. As soon as I had impact, the boot was torn from my foot. The road rash on the side of my ankle created a black leathery scab that took nearly four months to heal as it slowly crept from the outer perimeter toward the center. I'd hate to imagine what my foot could have possibly wound up like if I had stayed on the pavement for the 200+ feet of sliding and tumbling instead of going off the road and along the plush, grassy ditch instead.

Eventhough my wife was wearing "boots" (a more sport-touring style boot lacking the protection of race-replica boots, especially in the ankles), when she was in her accident in 2003, her left ankle was crushed and resulted in permanent paralysis and daily pain. We hate to think that better boots may have been the difference between walking like a normal person and being able to shift gears with her foot and having the foot paralyzed and needing an electric shifter to change gears.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Watch all the crash and burn videos ....The first thing to fly of is the footwear...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thus far, looks like everyone's for "safety first" and the boots. I'm also thinking I may just continue with the Timberlands until I can afford something that offers better protection than it sounds like boots in the $100 range offer.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I may just continue with the Timberlands until I can afford something that offers better protection than it sounds like boots in the $100 range offer.
You can afford a Ducati but you can't afford decent gear?.....j/k ;) That's a response you'd get from a non-Ducati forum.

Actually, keep an eye on eBay, also. I've been looking at some of the Alpinestars Supertech boots ($450+ retail) and have run across a few in my size that have hardly been worn in the $200-$250 range. I've also seen some other boots with decent protection as close-outs at several of the online stores, such as...

www.motorcyclecloseouts.com
www.newenough.com
www.motorcycle-superstore.com
www.mawonline.com

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can afford a Ducati but you can't afford decent gear?.....j/k ;) That's a response you'd get from a non-Ducati forum...

Desmo -Yeah I'm definitely doing my bit to skew the Duc socio-economic demographic downwards:rolleyes:

Thanks for the links. Experience has taught me to just keep my eyes open and if I'm patient a good deal will pop up.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
absolutely boots.

I use these -- Red Wing 967 - Mens - 6-inch: $150, steel toe and easy to get on yet stay snug. plus comfortable to walk all day in.

take care,
George

Attachments

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
the Dainese quito boot I mentioned previously is less than $200 at motowheels.com (if you create an account you get a discount...)

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myproducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=1031%7CDainese&productID=5570&showDetail=1&categoryID=774|Dainese%20Footwear&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=1030%7CApparel%20%26%20Riding%20Gear

put it on a credit card if you have to, but don't ride without gear. If anything unfortunate happens, injuries are far worse than the interest rate on $200...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I have a pair of these: Icon Superduty 3
In black for my street riding. Not as much protection as a pair of Sidi or Dianese boots but more than your timbs. They also have an agreeable price, good looks (don't look out of place off the bike), and are comfortable walking around. I had the unfortunate opportunity to test them when I hit a large plastic crib that had been dropped in the interstate (WTF, I know), and they turned what would have surely been a broken foot/ankle into merely a bad bruise.

BTW, if you like 'em, order a size up. They run small.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I'm right there with all the above responses. I've been lucky with only a minor get-off in many years of riding, so my boots survived intact. I'm also necessarily price-conscious myself, so remember that your boots are likely to be with you a while. It's way OK to buy last year's model, or a dusty close-out pair, as long as the protection is good and the fit is OK.

And they're black...:D

·
Registered
985 Posts
The FatDuc. For $80 or so, you get a beautifully behaved GT, with completely different manners than you've become used to. Any good set of boots is going to be more than that.

For riding boots this time of year, I like Red Wing 4101s. These are basically light hikers in a Chukka style, but they offer covering and padding to the ankle. The soles are extremely grippy. If I had to walk a few miles in them, I could do it in comfort.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
My wife and I wear Alpinestars SMX Plus boots....

...and despite what people may tell you, these things are quite comfortable when they are broken in. We've worn ours for more than 20 hours during a Saddlesore 1000 and it's not uncommon to spend a 3-5 day weekend with these as the only footwear we have....if you doubt it, just ask anyone who's been at the last few US Desmo "Ducks Along the Blue Ridge" or "Ducks Fly South" rallies. It started to become a running joke that the only clothes we had were the ones we were wearing when we left the house.

BTW, my boots were $250 when new, and are currently more than five years old and have over 60k miles worth of riding (I'd hate to think of the number feet-hours they have).

·
Registered
985 Posts
My wife and I wear Alpinestars SMX Plus boots....I'd hate to think of the number feet-hours they have.
You can answer that one with your nose!!! :eek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
red wings are a good idea. a throwback to the steve mcQueen days
of desert ridin'. i use to wear red wings on the bike in my younger days,
since they were also my walking around, going around boots too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts