Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Ducati Sport1000, GT1000
149 Posts
Sounds like a steal!
They pop up on the auctions from time to time, it is a matter of sit and wait with cash ready to go. Good luck in your hunt. What area are you in?

·
Registered
2008 Ducati Sport1000, GT1000
149 Posts
Northern ca but probably looking for a lower mileage clean titled one for collectability.
Most likely youll be paying top dollar for one of those. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Modded 06 in venice beach says he is taking the bike off market because nobody will buy it for his 15.5k valuation.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
If you're buying as an investment.....there are far higher returns in other mediums. If you're buying because you love the bike and want it for you collection, who cares what the resale value is? When you don't ride it anymore, park it in your living room as art.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I wouldn’t say I am buying it as an investment but part of the reason I am interested is counting on the bike to hold its value relatively well. As a married guy with kids, it will never be parked in the living room lol, but I imagine that was tongue-in-cheek.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
As a married guy with kids, it will never be parked in the living room lol, but I imagine that was tongue-in-cheek.
Not at all. Kids grow up and move out. Both mine are well past age 20. My oldest is getting married around Halloween and is in the process of buying his first house.

My youngest still lives at home but has a job and isn't around much. I've had my 996 parked in my living room at times. I've already told my wife that one day, when I'm too old to ride it anymore, I'm parking it in the living room. Right alongside my Mille R.

I understand the whole "bike lust" thing. If there is a bike that you feel some unnatural attraction to, you'll do what you need to do in order to acquire one.

Hence, if you plan on keeping it and never selling, who cares if it has a salvage title? That is, unless you're "investing" because you expect this thing will retain the value you buy it at (it will not).

Salvage titles put me off of buying some really clean and presentable examples of slabby Supersports. I wound up buying a salvage title one anyway, only for quite a bit less money. Less money in this case = a whole lot more work.

For what it's worth, I lusted after an early carby Supersport from somewhere around 1992 until 2018 when I finally bought one.

I'd previously balked at salvage title bikes just because the thought put me off. It wasn't until I realized that this was not a bike that I'd buy and turn around and sell.

Once I wrapped my mind around that, it no longer mattered whether it was a salvage title bike or not. I didn't care anymore.

Assuming you are not planning on trying to sell it on for profit later, it makes it less of road block to getting the bike you want.

So, after a thorough visual inspection, I'd just buy if it ticks all the boxes. Unless of course this isn't about bike lust because you can't get it out of your head.

If it isn't about your passion for this particular model, but a prospect of not loosing money on the purchase, well.....this conversation is pointless in that case.

I'd guess you'd be lucky to get 80% of the purchase price for it in 5 years, and that's if you don't ride it much.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So, after a thorough visual inspection, I'd just buy if it ticks all the boxes. Unless of course this isn't about bike lust because you can't get it out of your head.

If it isn't about your passion for this particular model, but a prospect of not loosing money on the purchase, well.....this conversation is pointless in that case.

I'd guess you'd be lucky to get 80% of the purchase price for it in 5 years, and that's if you don't ride it much.
It is certainly about bike lust and exclusivity. The resale value is just a minor justification.

·
Registered
792 Posts
As a married guy with kids, it will never be parked in the living room lol, but I imagine that was tongue-in-cheek.

I'm married and have 2 kids. And three Duc's in the family room during the winter....

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you're buying as an investment.....there are far higher returns in other mediums. If you're buying because you love the bike and want it for you collection, who cares what the resale value is? When you don't ride it anymore, park it in your living room as art.
I agree 100% with parking it in a living room. I procrastinated on this 916 piece of art and lost it.

·
Registered
855 Posts

i would snatch this up in a heartbeat if it was clean titled! Feel like any resale is so low even with a rebuilt bike.
I saw this bike on ebay last night. Is it me or does this bike look like it's smashed in a little in the front...

Sold for $11,000.
Yea, I was watching it as the bidding ended. It got more than I thought it would.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I saw this bike on ebay last night. Is it me or does this bike look like it's smashed in a little in the front...
Yeah, if it was local I think I would consider it more. Asked the guy for some details on the repairs and he didn’t respond. Said it was just used on the track. Salvage title bike, rode hard and infrequently used. Lots of nice parts though.

·
Registered
456 Posts
My riding buddy has a 2007 GT 1000 with 22K. He was asking me yesterday about possibly selling it. Wanted to know what I thought it was worth. It seems like there are a few more than usual "Covid 19" driven bikes avail right now. I have seen 2-3 2006 models (with dry clutch) for sale recently here in Florida.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts