Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching for the past month but haven’t pulled the trigger quite yet. I have had my eye on about 4 sport classics that all are still for sale 1 month+ later. Is 12-13k a more appropriate price for a decent condition one with 5-10k miles or is it just harder to find a buyer with the rona economy?

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
There's so many factors which goes into this. Your question is a good one, but we go through this discussion year to year. It is variable depending on what part of the US you're looking at, how modded the bike is, which model you're talking about, is red key included, salvage title or clear, even does it come with all original parts? I find that southern Cali and for what ever reason Florida seem to have slightly lower used prices. Total observation. The price range you're talking about is likely the GT 1000. I've yet to see a Sport 1000 at those levels, even with "rona" economy. Buy the cleanest SC you can find. I think sellers ask lofty prices for their SCs. The demand is there, but I think the sellers I've seen are looking, in general, for the wealthy, emotional buyer. Hence my point here is what I consider realistic is usually not found. Lastly, I know for my own heavily modded bike, I'll never recoup what I put into it. I will die buried with it! ha ha. But I think sellers are unrealistic that they can recoup it and it is better to restore to original and maximize return of the mods, some of which are no longer available.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's so many factors which goes into this. Your question is a good one, but we go through this discussion year to year. It is variable depending on what part of the US you're looking at, how modded the bike is, which model you're talking about, is red key included, salvage title or clear, even does it come with all original parts? I find that southern Cali and for what ever reason Florida seem to have slightly lower used prices. Total observation. The price range you're talking about is likely the GT 1000. I've yet to see a Sport 1000 at those levels, even with "rona" economy. Buy the cleanest SC you can find. I think sellers ask lofty prices for their SCs. The demand is there, but I think the sellers I've seen are looking, in general, for the wealthy, emotional buyer. Hence my point here is what I consider realistic is usually not found. Lastly, I know for my own heavily modded bike, I'll never recoup what I put into it. I will die buried with it! ha ha. But I think sellers are unrealistic that they can recoup it and it is better to restore to original and maximize return of the mods, some of which are no longer available.
Good points! The bikes i have been eyeing are all clean titled, lower mileage stockers to modified.
I would qualify as a poor but very emotional buyer 😄. These prices are looking all over the country using ebay, criagslist, cycletrader, these forums, and facebook.

·
Registered
2008 Ducati Sport1000, GT1000
135 Posts
Just like us star said there’s a lot that goes into the reprice but at some point it gets ridiculous. There’s a fella selling one in loomis for about 15k and I think it’s a ridiculous price. They may be worth it but what are you willing to pay for it is the question. I have the exact same one as his but I purchased it from the auction a few years ago for 6k.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, what auction? 6k doesn’t seem accurate but I believe there is some middle ground here. 12-13 is the sweet spot maybe?

·
Registered
14 Posts
A really great guy has one down in Maryland. I was all over it but he told me it was a GT someone turned into a SC. It is beautiful and he has all the original parts as well. I couldn't tell he difference honestly and he wanted 10 grand. I guess the old saying is correct. These bikes are worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Man... there's a contingent of us that look at Sport Classic pricing, shake our heads and head to the Triumph dealer for a Thruxton R.

It's understood that a bike is worth what someone will pay for it. It just makes me ask what is wrong with people. Emotions?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Sport Classic SE and it is the best looking bike I have ever seen. I am building a BMW cafe racer right now as well and I think it's just preference. TRON LEGACY and the Cafe Racer craze took a bike that couldn't get sold and made it iconic. That is the beauty in painting a picture.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
As a value data point, two summers ago I made a few poor choices and crashed on my GT with almost 50k miles on it... It took a month of back and forth with the State Farm, but I eventually got $8k to repair my GT and it didn't get totaled. It greatly helped my case that at that same time my local dealer had a bone stock GT for $10k and the Seattle area had some Sport Classics on craigslist with $13-15k asking prices that I used for comps while contesting their calculated replacement value. The initial insurance offer was $6500 and they wanted to total the bike.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
In my day job I look at rules and codes and fine print often, so I looked closer at my insurance policy and the valuation/replacement sections; and then checked what the rules WA state had regarding replacement values... It's been a while so don't quote me... If I recall correctly, for my policy in my state, the insurance company is supposed to use comps within a 100 mile radius to determine replacement value. If comparable vehicles are not for sale in the 100mile radius, they can search more broadly. As the insured, you have the right to request a copy of the comps and methodology used in the replacement valuation/list of vehicles that were considered in the valuation of a comparable replacement. When I found out my insurance company used the values of 2 bikes in the Sacramento area to arrive at their initial $6500, I countered with the ad for one GT for sale at my local dealer and the ads for 2 Sport Classics for sale in the Seattle area (within 100 miles of me) with an average asking price north of $10k.

·
Registered
2008 Ducati Sport1000, GT1000
135 Posts
Wow, what auction? 6k doesn’t seem accurate but I believe there is some middle ground here. 12-13 is the sweet spot maybe?
Copart. A while back there was a black Sport1000 up for auction in Salt Lake. The only damage that was on the bike was a small (about a quarter size) scuff on the right pipe, small scuff on front brake lever, and the rear brake lever was ground down a touch. No other damage whatsoever. The bike has a salvage title but it doesnt bother me because I seen the damage first hand and I do not intend on selling it. The bike had 6,8xx miles on it. To top it off I found the original owners paperwork under the seat and contacted them and they sent out all the keys and manuals to me. I got lucky with it.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The market in my area is the same for the last 3 years now they sell for 10,000 to 12,000
anything listed higher just keeps getting relisted some have been running listings on CL for
multiple years now. That has been the Norcal market for some time now the Tron, Cafe
racer price explosion died off here approx 5 years ago now.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts