Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new here, and this seemed the to be the most appropriate place for this, but if its not, hopefully one of the mods will move it. I've found a 2003 999 with some extra work for $7,500. It has 10,200 miles, has been laser aligned and appropriate frame geometry set, an aftermarket 450# rear spring, Suspension was tuned by Traxxion Dynamics in Atlanta, GA
The bike was re-sprung and the fork re-valved by Traxxion Dynamics. Lockhart Phillips clutch slave cylinder, new clutch, new Michelin pilot powers, with less than 200 miles, new brakes, and new belts and valve adjustment. The guys reason for selling is he is moving to San Diego and want to take as little as possible with him when he goes. I've loved Ducatis for years, I remember when the first 999's came out, and the up roar the look caused. I just want to make sure this is a good deal, and that I'm not about to get hosed on the bike. I can't ride the bike at the moment, as I'm currently stationed in Okinawa Japan, but I will be home in November, and I've had a very bike knowledgeable friend ride it and tell me it handled and rode like a dream, better than most 999's hes ridden. Thanks for your time, Lcpl Duncan USMC

·
Registered
457 Posts
999 prices

Thank you for your service! I am an ex Navy HM.

I was looking at a 2005 red 999 monoposto. Stock, very good condition with ~ 3000 miles on it about 1 year ago. It was priced then at $9500.

I think you can get a 2005-2006 999 with less than 5K miles for about $8000-9000 these days.

Bottom line, IMHO you should keep looking for a newer 999with less miles-- you have plenty of time to shop around. There are plenty of 999 superbikes available.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Is this bike a salvage title?

Why was the frame aligned?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Is this bike a salvage title?

Why was the frame aligned?
My question exactly. The only reason to do that would probably be because the bike had been down. 10,500 miles is a lot IMO, my 999 has only 6800.

The suspension work is good, that would run about $1200 to have that done +/-

Good luck!

Go Navy!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
My question exactly. The only reason to do that would probably be because the bike had been down. 10,500 miles is a lot IMO, my 999 has only 6800.
Um not really. It's an 03. I put in 5-10,000 miles per year on my bikes. His would be a low mileage 03. Bikes don't fall apart from riding them. ;) They get "normal" lower bodywork wear and tear but that's about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to him, the bike has never been down. It was laser aligned because the previous owner used it for track day and wanted everything set up perfectly straigh to get the best handling he could out of it

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
I'm not feeling it. The 2005 model year is a significant improvement and much more desirable. Unless you are really constrained on price I'd keep looking, although the price is probably about right as a quick glance at what's available now shows.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I'm not feeling it. The 2005 model year is a significant improvement and much more desirable. Unless you are really constrained on price I'd keep looking, although the price is probably about right as a quick glance at what's available now shows.
+1...more power and a deep sump engine, better swingarm, nicer styled bodywork (IMHO) ;)

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Seems like a good price for that bike, but as posted previously there are a lot of great 999 deals out there right now. For $1500 more you can probably find a later-model 999S with even fewer miles. Then again, unless you put a serious ton of miles on the bike you're looking at, it probably won't drop too much in value if you want to buy it and upgrade in a couple of years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts