1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the story 93 900SL been sitting in the walk way of a
Dealers Show Room for 9 years mostly stock Except for Sargent
seat and Saint tune exhaust. You cant start it etc as it's been
on static display for almost 10 years what would you pay for it?

Has the stock wheels and vented clutch cover only missing stock
parts are the seat and exhaust has 5700 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Honestly could not say. I haven't seen one trade anywhere in a little while. Last one I saw was on Bay Area CL and it was pretty pricey. It was enough that I didn't even look at it twice, so therefore couldn't tell you what it sold for. That said, I've seen 2 FE's for sale recently for near the $7-$8K mark. I'd imagine a pristine Superlight would be considerably more, probably in the $11-$14K range ....but that's just a guess....sean

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly could not say. I haven't seen one trade anywhere in a little while. Last one I saw was on Bay Area CL and it was pretty pricey. It was enough that I didn't even look at it twice, so therefore couldn't tell you what it sold for. That said, I've seen 2 FE's for sale recently for near the $7-$8K mark. I'd imagine a pristine Superlight would be considerably more, probably in the $11-$14K range ....but that's just a guess....sean
I actually prefer the 900FE I have been watching one at a dealer for 2 years now it started at 10K
it's now at less than 7K and they serviced it as well. I just happened to see this one when I was there
to check out another older Ducati same story parked at the dealership for over 10 years as well.

·
Registered
551 Posts
No Idea but if you want an air cooled carbed 900 that's the one to get.
Marvic super light wheels, Mag centres, Al rims
Cast Iron rotors
Factory vented clutch
solo seat unit (the small number board one)

all only found on the series 1 superlight, anything else is a watered down pale imitation. That model is pretty scarce and likely to only go up in price......

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the end of the story happened tonight. I had been dealing with them on
the purchase a little back and forth we settle on a price of 8500 2 days ago
I told them I needed to sleep on it as I have been looking at an FE as well.
Within 10 Minutes the sales closer calls me and said if we sell it for 8000 will
you take it I said yes deal was done I thought. He said thanks that the owner
was really motivated to sell the bike. I was going to pick it up Saturday AM
I get a text and voice mail tonight that the owner has decided not to sell the
bike. Oh well not that big of a deal as I wasn't looking for it in the 1st place.
I just stumbled on the deal while looking at an 888 they had for sale that needs
work hasn't been started in over 10 years but they said nothing about that in
the listing, I thought I would be able to test ride it from the way it was listed.
They have 10+ bikes that they will tell you the are the owners bikes that he
wants to sell they have all been sitting for years will he actually sell them?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Maybe but the price reduction was the salesman's idea as was the 8500 price
He said the owner wanted 8500 to 9000 for the bike as his opening price. I said I
was good with the 8500 so were they then they dropped the price to get me to
agree to the purchase right then. Being honest I am more P.O. they listed the 888 as
clean exceptional etc. I called asked if they still had the bike as it was 2 hours from
me they said yes. I get there it took them 15 mins to find it in a side room blocked in
by 4 other bikes. He clears the way so I can see it I have never seen one in person
before. Then he said it will need about 3k in work from the shop to get it running as
it has been sitting for over 10 years. Next is let me get the service manager he says
it will be at least 2k or more and that usually with the old bikes they don't like to sit
like this. Its his opinion that once they get it running it will run fine until I take for a
long ride then something will go wrong that they couldn't diagnose with out a long ride.
On the way out they show me several other bikes the 900SL was the only other one
that I caught my eye and that's how the 900SL deal started.

·
Bon Vivant
10,490 Posts
The last superlight I saw sell went for $14,000. I love that bike and I'd pay a pretty good chunk for one that is great condition and running. But bikes that sit can have all sorts of problems so one that has been on display for 10 years should be considerably cheaper if you want a running ride-able bike.

The SL doesnt come up for sale very often any more, most have found their way into collections and there they sit.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
One nice thing about the whole ordeal I got to see and sit on an 888, 900SL, 998 Bayless, Desmosedici D16RR, 999R, 1098R and although I didn't sit on it there was a green frame Super Sport as well it was the 1st time I had seen any of these bikes in person.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Maybe the owner checked recent selling prices of superlights and realized $8500 was way to cheap.

I must have seen the same one flyinbulldog saw for $14,000, and it was not pristine and still had the original head studs.

I recently turned down $17,500 for mine from an owner of a motorcyle dealership.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Spoke with a buddy of mine earlier this evening and he's putting his pristine 900SL on the market. Anyone who is interested can PM me and I'll provide you his contact info.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe the owner checked recent selling prices of superlights and realized $8500 was way to cheap.

I must have seen the same one flyinbulldog saw for $14,000, and it was not pristine and still had the original head studs.

I recently turned down $17,500 for mine from an owner of a motorcyle dealership.
Could be but the blue book price is 5560 to 10070 bottom line they are worth what someone
is willing to pay. Look at the sport classic prices now a few years ago they would sell in a day
and for thousands more than they are now if you can move one at all. Same with the 900FE
they were selling for 10k a few years ago now they are around 6K and stay listed for a long
time if they sell at all.

Nada Price Guide 1993 900SL
Excellent $10,735 Very Good $6,595 Good $3,620 Fair $2,845

Blue book and Nada Guide are just buying guides and the Market will set the prices that they
will sell for But if you ever watch the Barrett-Jackson auctions the prices will be all over the
place from Auction to Auction. The only constant is they are worth what someone is willing
to pay.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I live in Belgium and now and then I see a Superlight for sale but most of the time the asking price is somewhere between €5000 and €7000.
Practically the same for an FE.
A regular full fairing SS in good condition would go max €3500. If you buy at a dealer (and get some warranty) you might pay up to €4000 or more if the bike has some 'options' (FCR, exhaust, CF-bits,...).

It seems like exporting Ducati SS's to the States could be a profitable business...
:smile2:

Example: 944SS, 900SSie cams, 2in1 exhaust with Akrapovic, 5 spoke SSie wheels, lots of carbon parts, Mikuni flatsides, mono seat with Corbin, 100HP and 125Nm, including stock fairing, carbs, mufflers,...
Highest bid since july: €3100...
Click
(I don't sell this bike and I don't know the owner, I just post this as an example of the SS pricing in Europe, if I should not have done this, mods; forgive me and please remove the link)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Could be but the blue book price is 5560 to 10070 bottom line they are worth what someone
is willing to pay. Look at the sport classic prices now a few years ago they would sell in a day
and for thousands more than they are now if you can move one at all. Same with the 900FE
they were selling for 10k a few years ago now they are around 6K and stay listed for a long
time if they sell at all.

Nada Price Guide 1993 900SL
Excellent $10,735 Very Good $6,595 Good $3,620 Fair $2,845

Blue book and Nada Guide are just buying guides and the Market will set the prices that they
will sell for But if you ever watch the Barrett-Jackson auctions the prices will be all over the
place from Auction to Auction. The only constant is they are worth what someone is willing
to pay.
I've been buying and selling older Ducatis for years and never thought blue book or NADA has been accurate on the older bikes. As far as the auctions if you know what your buying you can get some great deals, I recently got a deal on a Rickman Triumph Mettise at the last mecum in my area, could probably double my money on it but I always wanted one.

Superlight prices are on the rise for sure. The last one that sold went for $14000 with original head studs, one on mecum, far from mint sold for for $12,900, and I recently found one for Bruce Robinson, famous collector in Ohio for $12000 also needing a complete service.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I live in Belgium and now and then I see a Superlight for sale but most of the time the asking price is somewhere between €5000 and €7000.
Practically the same for an FE.
A regular full fairing SS in good condition would go max €3500. If you buy at a dealer (and get some warranty) you might pay up to €4000 or more if the bike has some 'options' (FCR, exhaust, CF-bits,...).

It seems like exporting Ducati SS's to the States could be a profitable business...
:smile2:

Example: 944SS, 900SSie cams, 2in1 exhaust with Akrapovic, 5 spoke SSie wheels, lots of carbon parts, Mikuni flatsides, mono seat with Corbin, 100HP and 125Nm, including stock fairing, carbs, mufflers,...
Highest bid since july: €3100...
Click
(I don't sell this bike and I don't know the owner, I just post this as an example of the SS pricing in Europe, if I should not have done this, mods; forgive me and please remove the link)
This is one case where the USA gets the rarer bike which is why prices are much higher. In the USA the MK1 superlight was a year only bike, the rest of the word got Mk2, Mk3, and mk4s. The USA only got 300, only in yellow, 100 went to california. Its only the MK1 with the marvic wheels that are sort after.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts