Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 threw a dashboard error saying "Errors: Pressure."

I suspected this was the oil pressure sensor, so I changed it. The errors hasn't gone off, but the fact that it remains on even when the engine is not running makes me suspect that either you need to reset it (much like the service indicator) with the factory service computer, or that there is another error (short in wiring?)

Any thoughts as to what it could be?

Lastly, does anyone know what oil pressure readings should be and at what RPM?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
It may be one of the Manifold Absolute Pressure sensors, there is one for each throttle body. The parts catalog refers to them generically as "Sensor, Pressure." p/n is 55241571A for 2013. I don't have a spare parts catalog for 2011.

·
Sophomore Member
2,572 Posts
Bonadventure is correct. This error is with one of the absolute pressure sensors per the service manual. There are two sensors (one per throttle body). The vertical cylinder's sensor is attached to the back left side of the air box. You have to remove the tank to be able to get to it. The horizontal cylinder sensor is located near your GPS power supply behind the left air deflector (black plastic piece). The part number Bonadventure cited is the same for 2011. Look at page 49, item 6:
ISSUU - 2011_MTS1200T_ABS_DucatiOmaha by Ducati Omaha

I would recommend first checking the connectors. Hit them with some connector cleaner and see if it fixes it. If not, you can look to replace them.

BTW, is the bike not running like shit? These are critical in proper fueling. Unplugged, you will run really rich to the point it isn't ridable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a problem where one of my MP sensors was not working properly. However the sensor was still working, just giving out of range values. There were no errors shown or error codes recorded.

The bike ran OK still, but one cycling er was running very rich and the fuel consumption skyrocketed. Replaced the MP sensor for that cylinder, reset the calibration and everything was fine.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
How did you determine it was giving out of range values if it never called attention to itself (i.e. never tripped a code).

·
Registered
41 Posts
The bike wasn't running quite right. One cylinder was running very rich (very sooted plug) and the bike was consuming a lot of fuel. After a lot of head scratching I swapped the MP sensors between cylinders. The rich running cylinder also swapped proving the sensor was the problem.

The ECU apparently didn't recognise any error as the sensor was still working, just sending wrong values. Unfortunately it appears the ECU is not smart enough to do any range checking.

A bit of old fashioned manual diagnostic work :)

·
Registered
986 Posts
It happened to me today. No performance issues..yet. Error went away.

My plan is to replace both sensors. I'd rather do it myself for $225 in parts rather than see if it's covered under extended warranty.

Any additional info / thoughts are appreciated.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,290 Posts
My plan is to replace both sensors. I'd rather do it myself for $225 in parts rather than see if it's covered under extended warranty.

Any additional info / thoughts are appreciated.
Why? Just curious. A few months ago the extended warranty on my '12 covered heated grips, and both fork seals. $50 bucks total out of my pocket.

PS: Hows the riding in NGa been this weekend? Jealous as hell.

·
Registered
986 Posts
UPDATE: Disconnected front sensor. PRESSURE error remains. Must be rear.

Why? Just curious. A few months ago the extended warranty on my '12 covered heated grips, and both fork seals. $50 bucks total out of my pocket.
It's 1.75 hour drive each way with no traffic. Plus deductible I'm sure. See update above. As I've narrowed it to one sensor, although it's the most difficult to reach, probably replace it and reassess.

Hit me up if you come down to ride the GAPS

·
North Carolina, USA
3,290 Posts
UPDATE: Disconnected front sensor. PRESSURE error remains. Must be rear.

It's 1.75 hour drive each way with no traffic. Plus deductible I'm sure. See update above. As I've narrowed it to one sensor, although it's the most difficult to reach, probably replace it and reassess.

Hit me up if you come down to ride the GAPS
Yeah, but your ride is down to Atlanta (I am assuming) and great roads at the start and finish. :wink2:

At least one/two annual trips to Suches has been on my agenda since the early '90s. Going to try to get down there again before the cold weather comes back.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just had this warning come up on my '11 Multi. I'm wondering for those who have done it themselves, how do you determine which sensor is the bad one. Also, does the warning go off once the sensor is replaced or does it need to be reset by the dealer?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Just had this warning come up on my '11 Multi. I'm wondering for those who have done it themselves, how do you determine which sensor is the bad one. Also, does the warning go off once the sensor is replaced or does it need to be reset by the dealer?

It’s been so long I can barely remember...apologies in advance

Yes light goes off as I recall. Can’t remember if I had to unhook battery or not. Don’t think so.

You have a 50/50 chance of getting it right the first time. I’m pretty sure I had to remove the beak.

It was an easy fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
357 Posts

My horizontal MAP sensor failed earlier this year, Engine error but no Pressure error, the bike barely ran. ECU codes indicated horizontal cylinder MAP sensor, $120 part. The horizontal one is on the left side, behind the plastics and almost under the fuel tank. It is visible, and I managed to replace it, without removing anything but it's a tight space to work in. The vertical sensor is somewhere over on the right side. Replacing the sensor turns the warning off.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Awesome. Thank you both for the replies! Mine still runs just fine oddly. Possibly because I'm running a Bazzaz with a custom tune? Probably not, but just a thought. Sounds like the best course of action - since it's not running poorly - is ride it to the dealership, have them scan it to tell me which sensor is bad, buy the sensor, ride it home, and repair it myself. I have to take the tank off anyway... I've been putting off the dreaded fuel level sensor replacement and I've had the part sitting on my workbench for a few months now.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wanted to give an update on this. I went to the local Duc shop to buy the sensor but they didn't have it in stock. They offered to order it for me for $127 but I remembered seeing one on Amazon (possibly different brand) for $65. I told them I was going to pass for the moment. When I got back to the car I found the one on Amazon and ordered it next day ship. I figured for half the price I was willing to try it.

It arrived yesterday, and when I took it out of the package and compared it to the one on the bike it was identical. Even down to the number imprints on it. I literally could not tell the difference between the two.

I had already taken the left side panel off the bike on Friday night and unattached the horizontal cylinder sensor so when it came I just popped it in, turned the bike on, and checked it. Voila! Worked like a charm. I was worried I was going to have to dig deeper and get at the Vertical cylinder sensor but luck was on my side.

Another interesting note: I had already made an appointment at the dealer to have the bike scanned so they could tell me which one it was. They were going to charge me 3/4 hour shop time to scan it which equated to about $100. I was fully prepared to pay it, and then I realized I could just do process of elimination with the good sensor, and if both were bad (highly unlikely) I'd just order another one.

So all in all the bike is back on the road again for a mere $65 and less than an hour of my labor!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Good find. Good money saved. Can you share the Amazon part number order with us. I searched on ducati and can't find it . I don't need one now but just looking ahead. Cheers.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sure thing. Go to Amazon and search for this:

Germban Air Pressure Sensor MAP Sensor Fits for Multistrada 1200 Diavel 1199 55241571A

1 - 17 of 17 Posts