Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Preparing for a Track Day

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  nine16 
#1 · (Edited)
I just bought a fairly clean 2001 748. It has ~3700 miles on it, new tires, Ohlins steering damper, completely serviced at BCM, all paperwork, etc. In short, I'm relatively confident that the motorcycle is mechanically sound (knock on wood, right?).

I signed up for a track day at the end of July, and now I'm faced with the problem of how to prep the bike. I know the sky's the limit when it comes to mods, but I'm looking for fairly basic protective stuff for now (under $1000). For logistical reasons, track plastics just aren't feasible yet - I live in downtown Boston and don't have a garage to do more extensive work on the bike.

In order to protect the bike in case of an incident, I'm thinking of getting:
-frame sliders
-front axle sliders
-rear axle sliders
-handlebar sliders

How useful are these? Anything else I should consider? Rearsets, perhaps? How are the Woodcrafts?

Thanks,
Mike

See less See more
#3 ·
Just registered for my first trackday, July 13th at Road America and can't wait.

I'm ridin' nekkid, since I don't want to drill big holes in my side fairings.

#4 · (Edited)
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forums! Your first $1000 should be spent on protective gear for yourself. Assuming you already have a good helmet, leathers, boots, gloves, just make sure every nut is properly tightened, brake pads and fluid are in good shape. Go to learn, not to go fast. Speed will come once you have smarts.

And sliders that require drilling a hole achieve the same effect as crashing: your panels are ruined.

#5 ·
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forums! Your first $1000 should be spent on protective gear for yourself. Assuming you already have a good helmet, leathers, boots, gloves, just make sure every nut is properly tightened, brake pads and fluid are in good shape. Go to learn, not to go fast. Speed will come once you have smarts.
I've already got gear for myself, and I have plenty of experience riding at The Pace (and unfortunately sometimes beyond it) on the street. My knee sliders are already all scrubbed in... but with this bike I'm trying to keep it all on the track.

#6 ·
I tracked(and a few accidents on track) a 748R for a while and my suggestion is :
1. Track bodywork(including tail)(Sharkskinz are perfect)
2. Frame slider
3. rearsets
4.Run the stock clutch cover (protects clutch in case of crash and will contain any rare oil leaks from seal )

good luck and have fun

#7 ·
Behind fairing frame sliders like the speedymoto ones, are the best. But on your first track day, you won't need them. If you crash the bike, the plastics will crack no matter what and you won't be going fast, so I wouldn't bother. Once you pick up the pace a bit, then you can think about adding on things like frame sliders and track fairings.

I'd ride the bike exactly the way it is. Get some experience of what its like to be on a track and take it easy. There really isn't any crazy prep you need, Chuck gave you the list above, follow it and have fun!

#10 · (Edited)
I don't know if I would want to ride it naked- if I crash it, the engine casing gets the road rash. I would rather have road rash on my fairings. I've seen a lot of naked bikes on track, not sure if I will be comfortable <-- just my opinion

to the OP, if your budget is under $1000. You could easily get some used track plastics, and the sliders. I am guessing u already have the helmet (good one), track suit, boots, gloves, back/spine protector (and knee pucks ;)) If not MotorcycleCloseouts and STG are good online sources for gear.

tape the glass, take of the mirrors, annoy you Control Rider until you figure out the line. You'll get passed a lot, and its completely normal and right thing to do :) Stock rearsets should be good enough.

You don't need "good" tires for first track day as long as they don't have too many miles on them.

Have fun out there, and get some pics taken, and show off in the trackday picture thread :) ~ Hang more, Lean less :)

#11 ·
I would err on the side of caution(if this is your street bike as well), get track fairings as it is cheaper that replacing the factory plastics. Even if you're careful shit happens if not your fault then someone else's.

I made this mistake twice and rode with factory plastics and i replaced twice before finally getting track fairings. think of it as insurance. I've dropped my 748R twice and only damage was front tank mount(both times), bodywork , brake lever (still usable only broke last 1/3 of lever) and clutch cover. the most painful part was replacing the factory plastics.

#12 ·
I also have a 2000 748 with low miles. I would change out the stock clutch cover. In a crash, they do not protect the clutch. I have seen the springs break through the clutch cover, pushing the cover against the fairing and damaging that as well. The axlejack clutch covers (mostly closed) are strong and will protect the clutch in a crash.
At some point, I would think of fixed-peg rearsets as well.

#13 ·
I would highly recommend the woodcraft rearsets. They instil a much greater sense of confidence that your feet are firmly planted. Vastly superior to the stock pegs IMHO, esp in the wet.

As for prep, go over each nut and bolt that you can find to ensure that things are snug. If you take anything off be sure that you use locktite when you put things back together. Depending on which track day orginization you are using they will have additional/particular requirements for prep.

I primarily use tonystrackdays.com and for them I have to clamp and safety wire the oil filter, disable and/or tape over any lights (I pull the fuse and put blue painters tape over the lenses). Additionally I remove my mirrors (you can tape them but they come off easily on the 848) as well as my license plate.

As mentioned, frame sliders are good but not a necessity for your first track days. I also use woodcraft sliders which you have to cut through the fairings. The Speedymoto's werent an option for me at the time or I would have purchased the under-fairing style.

Definitely the best investment you can make is gear. Get a quality helmet first and foremost. Personally I wear Shark but Arai and Shoei are all top end helmets. Naturally this depends on your budget but this isnt an area I skimp on.

Leathers are required. Either a 2pc that zips together or a 1pc. For someone new to track riding I would recommend a 2pc strictly so you can wear just the jacket when on the street if you are so inclined (I wear full gear all the time). Again, depending on your budget you will find things that vary from $299 to eaisly $1500+. At your stage you may want to consider something like the Frank Thomas XTi line from cyclegear.com. Quality is decent for the price and it will serve your needs. If you can afford more, a good set of leathers will last you years. If you are one of those unfortunates that cant be fit off the rack (like me) you can check out www.tiltcustoms.com for a suit at around $500. Another option is spartan leathers which is in the same price range as tilt. I havent worn spartan but have heard good things about them. Dont let the brand snobs tell you that a $500 suit isnt as good as their $1500 dianese. crash tests prove all.

Back protector is another necessity. I wear Knox but there are lots of brands out there that are quality. Do not take risks with your spine, get the best you can reasonably afford here.

Gloves and boots: Again, required and as with all gear you can spend on the bottom end or go drastically higher. You will find that the cheapest things are just that, cheap. The high end things are VERY high end but there are many quality products out there at reasonable prices. A* seems to be a popular brand for gloves and Sidi seems to have cornered the boot market.

Some places I can recommend are www.sportbiketrackgear.com first and foremost. If $ is tight you can often find good deals on great gear on motorcyclecloseouts.com or newenough.com

I hope this helps and I hope that you have a fantastic first track day. It really is an addiction so be prepared for it =).

If you have any questions definitely contact whichever club you are going to run with at the track but do not hesitate to PM me if you need advice.

#14 ·
I signed up for a track day at the end of July, and now I'm faced with the problem of how to prep the bike. I know the sky's the limit when it comes to mods, but I'm looking for fairly basic protective stuff for now (under $1000). For logistical reasons, track plastics just aren't feasible yet - I live in downtown Boston and don't have a garage to do more extensive work on the bike.

In order to protect the bike in case of an incident, I'm thinking of getting:
-frame sliders
-front axle sliders
-rear axle sliders
-handlebar sliders

How useful are these? Anything else I should consider? Rearsets, perhaps? How are the Woodcrafts?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike...

All of my bikes and many of my friends utilize RhinoMoto slider products!

I've had the unfortunate opportunity of field testing their products, so I can honestly say that the axle, frame and bar end sliders have more than paid for themselves. A good solid investment in your bike whether everyday riding, the occasional trackday or racing!!

If you have any specific questions about bike prep, don't hesitate to send a PM.

Good luck and have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.