Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Motul RBF goes in all my bikes. :D

I tried the ATE Blue and discovered upon flushing it for a fluid change that it had dyed some of the internal parts of my brake system (the foam cap in my reservoirs, etc.) light blue. :eek:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Motul RBF goes in all my bikes. :D

I tried the ATE Blue and discovered upon flushing it for a fluid change that it had dyed some of the internal parts of my brake system (the foam cap in my reservoirs, etc.) light blue. :eek:
How often do you change it? Or better said, how long until it needs changing?

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
Quarterly, that's the disadvantage of running high quality fluid.
You know, if you are doing it quarterly, you don't have to do a total flush. unless the fluid is getting dirty in the resivoir, you only really need to bleed enough to get fresh fluid to the slave.
Generally, the fluid at the slave is what heats up and degrades.
When I raced formula cars, we bled every race, but just a couple of shots from each caliper.

·
Registered
665 Posts
You know, if you are doing it quarterly, you don't have to do a total flush. unless the fluid is getting dirty in the resivoir, you only really need to bleed enough to get fresh fluid to the slave.
Generally, the fluid at the slave is what heats up and degrades.
When I raced formula cars, we bled every race, but just a couple of shots from each caliper.
I just did the clutch last week...yes it gets done whenever the reservoir looks like it has black tea in there lol. The brakes I let slide longer, on average twice a year. The air free banjo bolts I installed in the ABS pump beneath the seat help immeasurably. :yeah:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sco,

does the Mityvac hook up at the caliper?
did you bleed the ABS ?
think i might give this a try. just bought a new 2014 S touring and note that the fluids are already dark.
and the rear brake is terrible.

Hooli, is the ABS bleed difficult?

Curious, will a vacumn bleeder pull the air/bubbles out thru the entire system, including the ABS?. Seems you could just leave the caliper in place…………..
guess its not that easy…… sigh

Thx

Cal

edit…… lookie what i found:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/537753-changing-front-rear-clutch-fluids-2011-multi-1200s.html

·
Registered
589 Posts
does the Mityvac hook up at the caliper?
Yes with a plastic connecting tube .

did you bleed the ABS ?
Yes , also ABS is not linked on the 2011.

·
Premium Member
3,914 Posts
Not sure if Brake fluid "recommended" list has change substantially since 2016... but I still use the chart on page 1 so I'm raising it from the dead... just ordered another can of Super Blue. (still tempted to try the SRF to see if the rear likes it... but at almost 10x the cost I'm not quite ready to bite that bullet).

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
SRF. It’s a $25k motorcycle. A $70 bottle of fluid, it fits. But more importantly, it works. 2 years since my last change and it’s still amber. Brakes still work.

·
Premium Member
3,914 Posts
SRF. It’s a $25k motorcycle. A $70 bottle of fluid, it fits. But more importantly, it works. 2 years since my last change and it’s still amber. Brakes still work.
$110 a bottle on Amazon... but yea it's the best if you don't change often. I change at least yearly and have a 6 month season - the super blue doesn't have the wet performance of SRF but how wet does it get in 6 months (given that it takes 2 years in general to 'saturate'). So I go through more fluid but it's a HUGE price difference - worth it for track... but obviously I'm on the fence for street.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That could go for a lot of things...$70 for a liter of brake fluid, $20 for a quart of oil, $50 for ONE spark plug...it adds up. And unless you're going for some kind of mileage record without swapping out a master cylinder seal or something or perhaps running pike peak for time on the weekends...it's money straight in the trash.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I got mine from a guy who sells it on eBay. Sold a lot so assume lots of turnover (fresh). Was 60 something.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I got mine from a guy who sells it on eBay. Sold a lot so assume lots of turnover (fresh). Was 60 something.
Over $100 on eBay now too. Wonder which global shit show caused that Near 100% price hike.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
That could go for a lot of things...$70 for a liter of brake fluid, $20 for a quart of oil, $50 for ONE spark plug...it adds up. And unless you're going for some kind of mileage record without swapping out a master cylinder seal or something or perhaps running pike peak for time on the weekends...it's money straight in the trash.
I get it. But for this particular issue, people are going to a lot of trouble to make their brakes work. I just used this and nothing else. No added bleeders, etc. So I'll get it again, although I think I have enough for another bleed. (Stored in a glass flask with rubber stopper)

·
Premium Member
3,914 Posts
I get it. But for this particular issue, people are going to a lot of trouble to make their brakes work. I just used this and nothing else. No added bleeders, etc. So I'll get it again, although I think I have enough for another bleed. (Stored in a glass flask with rubber stopper)
Damned stuff is expensive enough I thought of ways of getting it reclosed with only dry air in the container (in a bag with kitty litter or some other desiccant for a couple days then put the top on without opening the bag?). Wish they sold 250 & 500ml sizes.

Reactions: Iwannaduc

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Over $100 on eBay now too. Wonder which global shit show caused that Near 100% price hike.
... or how many are taking full advantage of the situation and gouging the shit out of folks .... "cuz covid".

Any time I've asked about brake fluid/clutch fluid 'round here I've been told ~DOT4~ each time. I do not ride nor own a Multistrada, "full disclosure" (as the kewl kidz all say today).

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Wish they sold 250 & 500ml sizes.:cool::confused:
Me too. Trying to pour out of the ATE can into the clutch master reservoir is a real exercise in control.

Seriously, how much does that thing need, even when empty? About a shot, when empty is the answer. Cuz that’s what I use to fill the master reservoirs on all my bikes.

I somehow came into ownership of a stainless steel shot “glass” that I’ve never once used. Turned out to be the best method of transferring small amounts of fluid from the quart can.

BTW, I bought a can of “super blue” DOT4 ATE....and it is amber like all the rest of them. Guess they took the blue coloring out? I dunno. Guess I could have gotten a can that made it past QC too?

Nahhhhh, no way. Stuff is made in Germany. They’d never let that happen

·
Registered
234 Posts
25K bike, $5 12oz bottle of Honda Pro Dot4. It fits, it works exactly the same as whatever that $70 wtf.
Do people seriously think that expensive "racing" brake fluid is going to make the Multistrada brakes work any different

21 - 40 of 47 Posts