Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is without Rapidbike (so still on stock program). A couple Pre/Post clips to compare. Since I couldn't post an MP3 I made a vid using some shots from an Arkansas trip in '16.

Not a huge increase in idle volume... throttle sounds noticeably Brap'ier (and this is with DB-Buster)

Not exactly apples to apples because the pre-clips were when the bike was in the bar (big room, ~1300 sqft). Post audio was in a smaller room in our house (Florida room... maybe 250 sqft). It gives the Pre-audio a bit more reverb.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
That sounds awesome! Can't wait to fit my Akrapovic full system!

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Rapidbike EVO was delivered to the house today... once that's installed I'll definitely be getting impatient for spring. I will grab some more audio though - getting on it a bit more and maybe with the baffle out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That definitely sounds like she has more bite in that bark! Good luck paying all your impending speeding tickets! lol

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could see this being a bit intimidating to some... a lot of stuff to plug in.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Looking forward to seeing how it's installed. Will you go for the quick-shifter aswell?

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking forward to seeing how it's installed. Will you go for the quick-shifter aswell?
I've had quickshifters on a couple bikes I've ridden (demos and one 4 day rental in Germany, no Ducati's though)... I've not liked them. I generally don't use the clutch once I'm moving to accelerate (and regularly not for decel either)... and I'm used to manual throttle control/rev matching for very smooth gear changes. The quick shifters would work fine when I was accelerating a certain way and shifting at the right time... but outside of that (moderate hard acceleration and shift near redline) I found them to shift pretty poorly (very jerky/surgey or hard shifting)... and the one I spent the most time with (16 GS) not only didn't work well but made it so you couldn't manually match rev's to clutchless shift (that REALLY screwed up the quickshift). I ended up clutch shifting for 1500 miles with the GS.

I sort of figure that if the factory quickshifters are crap... aftermarket units are likely even worse.

Admittedly... people really like Ducati's quickshifters, I'm curious if they address all the issues I had with BMW's version, but until I ride a bike with a quickshifter that works at the full range of shift points and acceleration rates and has silky smooth shifts everywhere - I've put them in the "track oriented where you're always on go type of toy" bin.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Never used one to be honest, I can do the clutchless changes, but I have to really think about it. I suspect these devices are more of a compromise?

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never used one to be honest, I can do the clutchless changes, but I have to really think about it. I suspect these devices are more of a compromise?
when they work right they're quite a bit faster than manual clutchless shifting (you just can't blip throttle that fast... or at least I can't) and as you mention they don't require any thought... just bang into whatever gear you want. Even on the GS it was fun when it worked smoothly (as I said... when I was on it hard).

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I'm probably going to invest in the rapidbike evo at some point anyway.... Was just wondering if there was feedback on the quick-shifter module aswell. Also I don't understand how auto blip would work, as its in gear? Wouldn't it surge?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm probably going to invest in the rapidbike evo at some point anyway.... Was just wondering if there was feedback on the quick-shifter module aswell. Also I don't understand how auto blip would work, as its in gear? Wouldn't it surge?
I installed the rapid bike EVO with the quick shift. It only works with up shifting so it doesn’t really “blip” (that’s for downshifting) but rather cuts power momentarily once the load sensor in the shifter linkage detects pressure. It was a bit hard to get used to, sometimes when shifting with the clutch I found it was sensing pressure “after” the shift and giving me 1/10 of a second of hesitation once already in gear. I switched to a shorter shifter arm and tightened up my foot work and that corrected that problem. It works really well under hard acceleration as the RPM’s climb over about 4K and up to redline, the key is to NOT use any throttle input when quick shifting. It’s really fast to just hold the throttle wide open and tap the shifter. More of a fun toy than a necessity.
The install is not hard, removing all the plastic and routing the new wiring is the hardest part. The Evo has a crank position sensor connection that only provides input on the race model. The race model changes timing and fueling, Evo just affects fueling. My unit along with at least one other I read about was having trouble at first and the recommendation from RB was to leave that connection stock. If I was installing again I would not connect the CPS part of the new harness.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Thanks for the great information.... Think I'll leave the quickshifter option until its abit more advanced. I do have a tenancy to have my boot resting on the gear pedal, wonder if it would interfere? I'm never going to use the bike on a track, so not sure there is any point! The pb evo sounds like a good investment though, even just to smooth out the fueling post exhaust change.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Quickshifters are a lot like the rest of the tuning stuff in the ecu for fuel and ignition. You have to spend the time to learn how to tune them. The factory installed units are awesome cause they have all the knowledge, experience and such to set them up. Especially the newer ones that up and downshift.

But even though I've never been able to get mine tuned in as well as the factory stuff (upshift only) I have it on 3 of my 4 bike now and I even have one on order for my little Z125Pro. For normal riding I just pretend they aren't there and can't tell the difference, but when getting it they are awesome and addictive as all get out.

The only reason they might interfere on downshifting is if they do a "cut" when down shifting. The Healtech's can do this depending on setup and I hate. But then again every "fly-by-wire" bike I've ridden sucks in this same regard. I don't care what the engineers say, they still don't react the way a cable system does.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Started the Rapid Bike install yesterday after getting home from a trip (just stripped the bike down to it's skivvies and staging the equipment needed)... couple of comments as I start the process:

- Installation Manual is not great - It does provide step by step directions but it's really bare bones and leaves you to figure some things out, for instance... it doesn't say you need to remove the tank - but I can't figure out how to get to some of the connectors without removing the tank. Also... it's a black and white laser printout of a document and all the pictures are REALLY dark, not so bad that you can't figure out what they're pics of but why isn't the install manual just available online for download (you have to email them)?

Luckily the installation is really pretty easy so between the manual and looking at the harness you can figure things out.

- Not digging the look of the harness... it's all loose wire which is fine but I feel like the tubing they chose is of questionable durability and about twice the diameter it should be... it makes the harness more bulky for routing. I'm going to hit the tubes with a heat gun to see if they're just unshrunk heat-shrink tubing (which is exactly what it LOOKS like), that would clean up the harness. Additionally, some of the connectors (O2 sensors) will actually be in the weather... still thinking about if/what to do to them... maybe some electrical tape to close the harness tube ends (the connectors themselves are weather tight on both the wire and connector ends so I don't think there's a reliability problem, it's more to make things look tidy.

- Kit didn't include tie wraps... I'm thinking I'm going to need a bunch.

- I don't think I like the suggested module mount point ("under the tank", not sure WHERE under the tank or how to secure it because the docs don't actually show it that I can tell)... I'll likely put it under the seat where another poster had a pic of his.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dropping off at Melillimoto, for service and RapidBike install. 42° this morning...WTH, Florida?!?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: complexCarlo

·
Registered
63 Posts
Picked up the bike this morning. About 150 miles later, and all I can say is that it is a different bike. It is buttery smooth from startup, and has been all over the range. Pulls clean, hard and very smooth in every gear. Just stopped for gas before hitting it again, but wanted to rave about it!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts