Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Definitely - the occasional non-earplug ride to enjoy the noise is fine, but we should all be wearing protection most of the time. With full exhaust and the db-buster out the Multi is very loud under throttle - and wind noise is probably even more of a problem because it's constant.
I agree Dave ...our Multi's generate a lot of "dirty-air-turbulence" / noise...but as the cold weather/temps are here for some of us
one thing that helps a lot ( I was reminding myself of / noticing ) a good thick fleece neck gator for the neck , complete coverage helmet to jacket ,
I use the best ear plugs and have a top of the line Arai helmet ...but a means of dampening that damn wind along the bottom of the helmet...much better

·
Registered
153 Posts
Morning DarR, I ran some sound checks yesterday as per your request...
at the height / angle / distance , and included a 4000 rpm reading also .
and did a with and without baffle insert too... what I found kinda surprised me

RPMs Dbs with baffle insert without insert (open)

Idle 70 71
2000 72 72
4000 81 83

Of course under load and full throttle those #'s will change...and your mileage might vary<smile>
so the Akra insert doesn't make a big difference on the center stand,
but on the road, Without, definitely sounds deeper and "richer"
and can be operated at a "civilized" mode , around town..etc
but when ya want ...it's sweet ...I'm going to continue to go "insertless"

hope this helps
Ps I like your word "Ducatinnitus"
grin
Nice to finally see some proper numbers. 1db difference LOL!
I have the full termi titanium system. I wonder what the numbers would be on it?

·
Registered
725 Posts
On a stock 1260 Pikes Peak I've obtained the following reading with my Radio Shack Decibel Meter as shown.
87 db at idle and about 90db at 2000 rpm. measured at an angle of 45° at 20 inches from the exhaust. Of importance, I also previously calibrated the (3) apps on my android phone to coincide with my analogue sound meter as follows:
Sound Meter app: +10 db
Decibel Meter app: +14 db
Decibel X app +2 db
20191031_165901.jpg 20191031_165844.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
On a stock 1260 Pikes Peak I've obtained the following reading with my Radio Shack Decibel Meter as shown.
87 db at idle and about 90db at 2000 rpm. measured at an angle of 45° at 20 inches from the exhaust. Of importance, I also previously calibrated the (3) apps on my android phone to coincide with my analogue sound meter as follows:
Sound Meter app: +10 db
Decibel Meter app: +14 db
Decibel X app +2 db
View attachment 975598 View attachment 975599
The app I used on my iPhone was from a company I believe named.. dB.., it was part of a package for 4 bucks that included a bar code reader , light spectrum/intensity meter,
speedometer / heads up display , haven't had time to play with all of it yet, but this company "dB" is all over the apple app store ,prices and packages.

·
Registered
725 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Same would probably be available for iPhones
I think this topic deserves its own thread. To be continued here:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts