Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been done to death in other threads, but what hasn't at this point? Just got my 2016 PP multi, and first on my list is doing something about the, in my opinion, overly quiet stock exhaust. The Termi slip on that comes with the bike looks great, and i've considered modifying the akra headers and keeping it, but i think it will be a pain, and end up being too loud. So that leaves me with the MIIV decat systems, or the Arrow decat systems. What seems to be the overall preference around here, i could go either way. Arrow seems to be a bit more $$, but i've had Arrow on other bikes, and its very high quality kit. Thanks for any advice, loving the bike so far!

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Arrows and MIIV foes not fit the DVT? Or am I wrong?

I also have the Termi slip on, and the sound is a joke. Even with the deactivated exhaust valve, with spring mode.

The Polish Dominator seems good, but might be a bit loud, but with a db killer in it, it should be ok?

·
Premium Member
3,372 Posts
I have the Arrow kit and like it. With db killer the sound is much better than stock but not super loud (I'm told that it is quite a bit louder from behind). With the db killer out it's loud even to me and while it sounds great I think it's more of a "take it out for a day of fun" sort of thing rather than leave it out all the time - it gives the bike a nice deep rumble.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Ducatinnitus

Just keep in mind that your hearing is at risk. Ask me how I know?
All Ducatistis should be wearing ear plugs. And this goes for a stock bike right off the showroom floor.
The Multistrada is a sport touring bike which you're likely riding for hours on end, It's not a two hour track bike.

Just like smoking, drinking or any other excess, damage comes slowly at first, then suddenly.
Unfortunately, wisdom for most is only earned through experience, not knowledge.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Not sure where it's made and can't say bc I don't have it but....
Stainless is stainless and if I did see it before I ordered one from Italy for 3x the money I would have bought o e and made sure it would fit, (I cut and weld until it fits kinda guy).
Thickness of the metal may differ too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, Just wanted to revive this conversation if possible. I too have a '16 Pikes Peak and looking to decat. After hours of research (I'm slow but methodical), it seems the only mid-pipe offerings are the aforementioned Danmoto or Dominator R. I already have the Termi slip-on that comes stock with the PP and it looks good so I'd like to keep it. Given these are cheap solutions ($200) range, I'm concerned about the level of engineering when it comes to fitment. Did anyone finally go this route with one of these and have anything to report - negative OR positive! Alternatively, are there any other brands out there that will sell just the midpipe. Seems all the major players will only sell full system or slip ons. One exception is Akrapovic which seems to have 2 header/link pipe options but... at about $1k.

Cheers everyone and thanks for help

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hi @NickPP No matter which route you take to replace your cat-mid section, you will not be able to use your Termi slip-on unless you wish to go deaf. This have been mentioned often but your Termi slip-on is not a muffler. It's just a cosmetic open pipe. A full Temignoni or a full Akropovic is your best bet fitment and quality wise. The Akra headers are expensive but they are Titanium.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Greetings , I have a 2016 P/P also , finally pulled the trigger this summer and installed a full Akra Titanium system , ..absolutely love it , no regrets whatsoever, sounds like a Ducati should sound,
and the workmanship is just exquisite ...so nice I left it on the workbench for days , admiring the craftsmanship , almost hated to get it dirty ...Compared to the stock Termi system, well there is no comparison ...the stock cat / headers look like they were welded by some kids in highschool shop class , plus the Cat felt like it weighed 15-20 lbs.But when I did the install , it went seamless ,
everything fit like a watch...installation manual is excellent (unusual for stuff these days) ..hell I was even impressed with the packaging when I received it ..cost about 2k in US dollars ,
got it from the good folks at Revzilla ( guess it's ok to put a plug in for them) Carefully wiped all the fingerprints off and fired that puppy up ....JESUSMOTHERMARYJOSEPH !!! glorious !
even the neighbor's little granddaughter walked up and told my wife " It doesn't sound like a chicks bike anymore " <smile>

Gotta say I like the sound without the little noise insert ,( I always always wear good earplugs) , but it just sounds more rich and full with out the suppressor ..but not at all obnoxious ,
just better ...runs fine with out any backfire drama...just some nice burble off the gas , and when I wack the throttle ...nice , did I mention I like this thing ?<grin>

Now as ya'll know the only real option for "tuning" the DVTs is the Rapid Bike , and I may add that in the future , but it runs great with out anything , except the little "booster plug "
widget I added a year ago or so ( that was another thread) and I remember the guy I ordered the $150 Booster Plug from said " I've been told / got feedback, from
customers that the BP really helps/reduces the poping and crackling with an after market exhaust " I'd have to say my new Akra system is very ..well civilized
so spare me the "snake-oil" comments about the BP , I'm not trying to sell them ..but it worked for me ..made a huge difference on my bike ..I'm a happy camper
...gotta run , cheers

·
Registered
725 Posts
@Quaaack I have a Pikes Peak as well but I am Akra curious. However, I already have a Monster with an SC-Project "cat-less" exhaust. I wasn't planing on building another loud bike although the Monster's sound is amazing.

If you have a chance or interest, could I ask you to take the decibel readings at idle and 2000 RPM measured at an angle of 45°, same height and 20 inches away from the exhaust and in a clear area? Several free phone apps are available for this purpose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi @NickPP No matter which route you take to replace your cat-mid section, you will not be able to use your Termi slip-on unless you wish to go deaf. This have been mentioned often but your Termi slip-on is not a muffler. It's just a cosmetic open pipe. A full Temignoni or a full Akropovic is your best bet fitment and quality wise. The Akra headers are expensive but they are Titanium.
DarR - Interesting and thanks for the reply. My local Ducati dealer had told me that I could go with a cheapo midpipe decat and they'd tune for me. I had thought there's a baffle (of sorts) in the Termi slip on? I'll have to take a closer look though now you point that out. Not ready to go deaf just yet :)

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Greetings , I have a 2016 P/P also , finally pulled the trigger this summer and installed a full Akra Titanium system , ..absolutely love it , no regrets whatsoever, sounds like a Ducati should sound,
and the workmanship is just exquisite ...so nice I left it on the workbench for days , admiring the craftsmanship , almost hated to get it dirty ...Compared to the stock Termi system, well there is no comparison ...the stock cat / headers look like they were welded by some kids in highschool shop class , plus the Cat felt like it weighed 15-20 lbs.But when I did the install , it went seamless ,
everything fit like a watch...installation manual is excellent (unusual for stuff these days) ..hell I was even impressed with the packaging when I received it ..cost about 2k in US dollars ,
got it from the good folks at Revzilla ( guess it's ok to put a plug in for them) Carefully wiped all the fingerprints off and fired that puppy up ....JESUSMOTHERMARYJOSEPH !!! glorious !
even the neighbor's little granddaughter walked up and told my wife " It doesn't sound like a chicks bike anymore " <smile>

Gotta say I like the sound without the little noise insert ,( I always always wear good earplugs) , but it just sounds more rich and full with out the suppressor ..but not at all obnoxious ,
just better ...runs fine with out any backfire drama...just some nice burble off the gas , and when I wack the throttle ...nice , did I mention I like this thing ?<grin>

Now as ya'll know the only real option for "tuning" the DVTs is the Rapid Bike , and I may add that in the future , but it runs great with out anything , except the little "booster plug "
widget I added a year ago or so ( that was another thread) and I remember the guy I ordered the $150 Booster Plug from said " I've been told / got feedback, from
customers that the BP really helps/reduces the poping and crackling with an after market exhaust " I'd have to say my new Akra system is very ..well civilized
so spare me the "snake-oil" comments about the BP , I'm not trying to sell them ..but it worked for me ..made a huge difference on my bike ..I'm a happy camper
...gotta run , cheers
Thanks for that. 2k for a full system is a little out of my wallet zone right now given a myriad of other expenses. Always seems to happen that way! Though, as DarR says, it would be great info to have the Db rating for the new exhaust if you get the chance!

Cheers

·
Registered
47 Posts
DarR and NickPP , great idea on the Db App , (just downloaded one) wish I had thought of it before I installed the Akra ..
love to quantify / compare before and after mod/additions, bikes, cars,etc ,doing one thing at a time and see how much a difference each change makes.

I'll report back later this weekend as to your request ..we just had a rain/wind storm blow though the area , pretty messy outside , and I would like to take a spin
when I fire the bike up , as I am trying a different/ larger windscreen option for cooler weather and some of the "liquid sunshine" we get in the Northwest ,

Plus we have some car friend house guests this weekend , and driving around and enjoying the Fall Foliage has spectacular ..2 or 4 wheels ...most excellent !

·
Premium Member
3,372 Posts
Ducatinnitus

Just keep in mind that your hearing is at risk. Ask me how I know?
All Ducatistis should be wearing ear plugs. And this goes for a stock bike right off the showroom floor.
The Multistrada is a sport touring bike which you're likely riding for hours on end, It's not a two hour track bike.

Just like smoking, drinking or any other excess, damage comes slowly at first, then suddenly.
Unfortunately, wisdom for most is only earned through experience, not knowledge.
Definitely - the occasional non-earplug ride to enjoy the noise is fine, but we should all be wearing protection most of the time. With full exhaust and the db-buster out the Multi is very loud under throttle - and wind noise is probably even more of a problem because it's constant.

·
Registered
47 Posts
@Quaaack I have a Pikes Peak as well but I am Akra curious. However, I already have a Monster with an SC-Project "cat-less" exhaust. I wasn't planing on building another loud bike although the Monster's sound is amazing.

If you have a chance or interest, could I ask you to take the decibel readings at idle and 2000 RPM measured at an angle of 45°, same height and 20 inches away from the exhaust and in a clear area? Several free phone apps are available for this purpose.
Morning DarR, I ran some sound checks yesterday as per your request...
at the height / angle / distance , and included a 4000 rpm reading also .
and did a with and without baffle insert too... what I found kinda surprised me

RPMs Dbs with baffle insert without insert (open)

Idle 70 71
2000 72 72
4000 81 83

Of course under load and full throttle those #'s will change...and your mileage might vary<smile>
so the Akra insert doesn't make a big difference on the center stand,
but on the road, Without, definitely sounds deeper and "richer"
and can be operated at a "civilized" mode , around town..etc
but when ya want ...it's sweet ...I'm going to continue to go "insertless"

hope this helps
Ps I like your word "Ducatinnitus"
grin

1 - 20 of 27 Posts